Gibson Brands Forums

Is real this Es 175?

diegodrik

That inlaid bridge base is typical of Gibson's high-end archtops such as the L-5 and Super 400.

These bridge bases are hand carved to fit the contour of the top for which they are installed, and typically have the serial number of the guitar for which it was carved, and bass/treble orientation, written on the bottom.

Looks real to me. The serial number refers in our database also to an Es-175 reissue in vintage sunburst, with nickel hardware, from 2004, made at the Memphis division.

The memphis division wasn't part yet back then of the custom shop, as that happened a year later.

The specifications of the guitar can be found here:

http://www2.gibson.c...5/Features.aspx

The ebony bridge may be original, but can have been replaced as well, that's difficult to tell.

Kind regards,

Stijn

Welcome.

That bridge is most likely not original to that guitar.

If you can see the guitar in person, take a look at the way the bridge feet lay against the curve of the top. If the curve of the bridge feet are matching the top with no space under them, it's a good fit. If you can see space under the bridge feet (shine a flash light from behind the bridge), you can have a shop/luthier tweak the bridge feet for a good fit - if you need to do it, it should be an easy and inexpensive fix.

If I was looking for a 175, that one is a very nice example. I would definitely check it out for a purchase.

Let us know what you decide.

i think it might well be the Steve Howe sig 175- that has an ebony bridge

Those had a different tailpiece (the zigzag) and different vol/tone knobs.

The inlaid bridges were also used on the L4CES. At any rate, it was probably changed on this 175.

Archived