Gibson Brands Forums

1966 ES335 TD

straydog

Hey there,

I am a new member and this is my first post. Thanks for having me.

I am doing some research on this ES 335TD that has come into my possession through my drummer. It was willed to him from his dad. My drummer has let me play it in our band.

It is in relatively good shape. I was only able to post a pic of the body but it gives you a good idea of the look of this one. From the serial number, which is #687614, it appears to be a 1966 model. I have done some reseach on the serial number sites but was unable to pinpoint the exact year.

It does have the serial number stamped in ink above the Made in USA stamp. However, the Bigsby Tremolo has at least one part that is not stock. In addition, the tone and volume knobs look to be modern replacements and the tuners are later model Grovers, something you might see on a SG.

Everything else is stock from what I can see and it plays very nicely!

Oh it also has Gibson stamped onto the chrome pickup covers, which I have not see on any other 335s.

Maybe the members here can give me a good idea of the year and perhaps the value? Just wondering because my drummer would never part with it. It does make our band look pretty cool, since we do play the blues!post-47263-050205400 1348051240_thumb.jpgpost-47263-050205400 1348051240_thumb.jpg

serial number, which is #687614,

serial number stamped in ink above the Made in USA stamp.

Oh it also has Gibson stamped onto the chrome pickup covers,

Your assumption of age is incorrect.

"Made In USA" stamp is 1970+.

Logo embossed pickups are 70-72.

Serial number with above characteristics is 70-72.

Archived