Gibson Brands Forums

Es335 to restore or not?

DavidGuajardo

Hello im new here, i just wanted to know if you can help me out with some questions i have a vintage 65 es335 but it needs some neck and fret work. I was considering to send it to Gibson Repair and Restoration, but i was wondering if i fix the neck problems would decrease its value? thank you very much in advance!

Yes, any modifications, or repairs, to your guitar will decrease it's value by 50%.......

But, the real question is "Do you want this guitar to play?", or do you want this guitar to SELL.

If you want to sell it, don't touch it, sell it "as is". If you want to play it, find a LOCAL tech to do the work. It's become pretty obvious from the price quotes that Gibson R&R doesn't want to spend any time on "Laymen's" guitars.

Yes, any modifications, or repairs, to your guitar will decrease it's value by 50%.......

But, the real question is "Do you want this guitar to play?", or do you want this guitar to SELL.

If you want to sell it, don't touch it, sell it "as is". If you want to play it, find a LOCAL tech to do the work. It's become pretty obvious from the price quotes that Gibson R&R doesn't want to spend any time on "Laymen's" guitars.

Thank you very much for your response Larry, i actually messaged them and they responded and gave me an aprox quote, i believe that it just needs a fret level, it is buzzing just in some certain frets when i lower a bit the action to my taste. I want to play it im an active musician right now, im not thinking on selling it to be honest, it has sentimental value besides i love it, but i dont want to decrease it's value either i dont know what to do, thank you for your info!

You've answered your own question, David. A guitar that has playability issues won't get any better and will probably degrade over time. You say you're a player, so you have to optimize it's ability to be of use to you. Also...it would be hard to get top dollar from a knowledgeable collector if they faced the same adjustments and/or repairs you are considering.

As has been mentioned here, you want an experienced LOCAL tech or luthier to look at it to assess what needs to be done. There is no substitite for a first-hand inspection, whihc will properly determine both the issues and the solutions.

1965 is a tricky year, if you have properly identified it. ES 335's built early in the year may be virtually identical to 1964 models, and have higher intrinsic values. For example, if the nut width is 1 11/16" (43mm) rather than the later 1 9/16" (39.5mm), the guitar is signficantly more valuable.

You want someone knowledgeable doing this work.

Complete and utter nonsense. Where do you get this stuff, Larry? Having a little fret work done does not equate with (for example) a re-finish, or major repairs, or extensive replacement of parts in terms of impact on value.

Complete and utter nonsense. Where do you get this stuff, Larry? Having a little fret work done does not equate with (for example) a re-finish, or major repairs, or extensive replacement of parts in terms of impact on value.

Errr... I would tend to say... more information.

Neck work? Trussrod adjust or reset or headstock break?

Fret work? Refret or crown and polish?

Without more info we are all just trying to show how smart we think we are.

I'm doing no such thing, Sam. It's true we would need more information to know more clearly what effect on value might occur in this case. However, Larry's comment: "Yes, any modifications, or repairs, to your guitar will decrease it's value by 50%" is nonsense, imo.

As it turns out, David said he thinks it just needs a fret level. So... top dollar? Maybe not, maybe so (some collectors- especially those who want to play their collectible guitars, don't care so much about fret originality). But 50% off the value, because of a fret level? I think not.

You've answered your own question, David. A guitar that has playability issues won't get any better and will probably degrade over time. You say you're a player, so you have to optimize it's ability to be of use to you. Also...it would be hard to get top dollar from a knowledgeable collector if they faced the same adjustments and/or repairs you are considering.

Thank a lot for your opinion jedzep, yeah my main objective is to have it in perfect conditions to play it, im actually playing a lot right now and i love the sound of that guitar, and about the guitar getting worse over time makes a lot of sense. i have decided to take it to be repaired but the thing is with who? i dont want to take it to any luthier you know? it would be a nightmare if something goes wrong with that guitar, i would like at least be confident on who im handing the guitar to.

As has been mentioned here, you want an experienced LOCAL tech or luthier to look at it to assess what needs to be done. There is no substitite for a first-hand inspection, whihc will properly determine both the issues and the solutions.

1965 is a tricky year, if you have properly identified it. ES 335's built early in the year may be virtually identical to 1964 models, and have higher intrinsic values. For example, if the nut width is 1 11/16" (43mm) rather than the later 1 9/16" (39.5mm), the guitar is signficantly more valuable.

You want someone knowledgeable doing this work.

Hello Nick, yeah i did a research about the guitar and i know that in the transition from 64 to 65 a lot of changes were made, fortunately the guitar still have nickel hardware, a bigsby from factory (note that is not the one with the custom made plaque) and the nut is not a 1 11/16 nor a 1 9/16 it's in between it has a 1 5/8 neck. i understand that the 1 11/16 are more valuable and more desirable, i have not seen much about the 1 5/8 but it felt very good on my hand so i didn't mind. And yeah youre right i dont want to hand it to any luthier it's a vintage guitar and it would be a shame and i would not forgive my self if something goes wrong with the guitar. The thing is who can made this kind of work so i can feel confident to do it, i was thinking on Gibson Repair and Restoration...

I'm sorry i know i didnt specified clearly what it needs. But the thing is that to be honest I'm no a pro tech and i cannot fully diagnose the guitar, but as far as i know about guitars, i actually set all of my gutiars and all, but this one is giving me this problem that when i low the action a little bit more to my taste, it starts buzzing in some certain frets, but just like 3 or 4 notes and very apart from each other, the first thing to check is the neck relief i know, i checked it and it's almost dead straight, but if it was the neck relief it would be buzzing in a whole neck area right? not in just some frets very far from each other, that's why i thought that it might have some lifted frets or in other perspective lower worn frets i mean the gutiar has been played for 47 years i would like to think that the frets will worn in some point of its life. Im going to take it to my local tech, so he can diagnose it, but the work i would like it to be done by some expert on vintage guitars. but going back to the point i dont want to decrease the guitar value, and that's something that my tech cannot tell me he is not a vintage expert, but i also want to play the hell out of her. That's why i wanted to ask in this forum if someone could tell me about it! Thank you very much for your comments!

I'm doing no such thing, Sam. It's true we would need more information to know more clearly what effect on value might occur in this case. However, Larry's comment: "Yes, any modifications, or repairs, to your guitar will decrease it's value by 50%" is nonsense, imo.

As it turns out, David said he thinks it just needs a fret level. So... top dollar? Maybe not, maybe so (some collectors- especially those who want to play their collectible guitars, don't care so much about fret originality). But 50% off the value, because of a fret level? I think not.

I'm sorry i know i didnt specified clearly what it needs. But the thing is that to be honest I'm no a pro tech and i cannot fully diagnose the guitar, but as far as i know about guitars, i actually set all of my gutiars and all, but this one is giving me this problem that when i low the action a little bit more to my taste, it starts buzzing in some certain frets, but just like 3 or 4 notes and very apart from each other, the first thing to check is the neck relief i know, i checked it and it's almost dead straight, but if it was the neck relief it would be buzzing in a whole neck area right? not in just some frets very far from each other, that's why i thought that it might have some lifted frets or in other perspective lower worn frets i mean the gutiar has been played for 47 years i would like to think that the frets will worn in some point of its life. Im going to take it to my local tech, so he can diagnose it, but the work i would like it to be done by some expert on vintage guitars. but going back to the point i dont want to decrease the guitar value, and that's something that my tech cannot tell me he is not a vintage expert, but i also want to play the hell out of her. That's why i wanted to ask in this forum if someone could tell me about it! Thank you very much for your comments!

There IS one ODD, but NOT uncommon bridge problem that DOES occur with the older ABR-1, "metal fatigue". I had an old 335 that the bridge lost it's arch.

As the bridge is slightly curved to match the radius of the fretboard, over time and string pressure, the bridge itself can go flat, or even concaved. When I found myself raising the bridge thumbwheels in the middle of a song (during a performance), I knew I had a serious problem. This did not seem to gradually happen over time, it just seemed to suddenly let go.

I first feared a truss rod problem, but during a telephone discussion with a vintage guitar dealer friend of mine, he immediately knew exactly what had happened. The fix was to install a new ABR-1, or have the original bridge "re-arched". As I am all about original and stock parts on older guitars, I chose to have the bridge re-arched.

So..... check your bridge.

David, no need to apologize for anything. You've provided information as best you can.

Since you love the guitar and want to keep it and play it, it obviously needs to be looked at by a competent repairperson. Whether it needs fret work, or just some kind of adjustment(s) to the neck, bridge, or whatever, you have to do what's necessary to make it playable. I wouldn't worry too much about any effect on value. Anyone who might potentially buy this guitar from you in the future is likely to want it playable also. From what you're saying, I doubt that there will be any big effect on the guitar's value by having it repaired/adjusted. If there's something more serious going on (like a twisted neck), that might be a different story. But it's out of your control, so I wouldn't stress about it. Best of luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good advice.

• 1 month later...

Repairs/Mods won't always decrease a value by that much. It really depends on the guitar, for example a neck set on a Martin doesn't decrease the value that much because they all tend to need neck sets. You never want to refin anything vintage, that WILL decrease by at least 50%.

Another SELLER has spoken.

Not just as a seller...for example a dot neck 335 with a little bit of work I would buy for quite a bit more than "half of the value", because even with work it's still very collectible.. or a Super 400 Premier would be the same, or L-5CESN or L-5CT. Like I said before a refin will without a doubt destroy the value but to say that any work/mods will cut the value in half is just not completely accurate. Anything vintage you want to as little work as possible.

...to say that any work/mods will cut the value in half is just not completely accurate.

Which is what I said earlier in the thread. I have decades of experience with vintage guitars, and I'm not "another SELLER" (as if all basic vintage market facts are based on who's buying and who's selling). This is just the latest example of Larry being a little "off" at times. :rolleyes:

Archived