Gibson Brands Forums

Eric Clapton explains to us how a guitar works

Rabs

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic but even though this was recorded over 40 years ago many players still do not get it.

Eric is one of the best ever.

I was being semi sarcastic.. I have full respect for him.

I had posted it only when I saw as far as him explaining the volume/tone knobs.. but then I added the bit soon after about it actually having some interesting stuff in it..

And if you want to know.. Even though I fully respect him, I do generally find him a bit boring.. I loved the Cream stuff most.. I saw him with Jeff Beck a few years ago and enjoyed watching Jeff much more (even thought im not saying Eric was bad, but Jeff was way more interesting).. But as I say the stuff of Erics I do like, I REALLY REALLY like.

I was being semi sarcastic.. I have full respect for him.

I had posted it only when I saw as far as him explaining the volume/tone knobs.. but then I added the bit soon after about it actually having some interesting stuff in it..

Dude,,, step away from the computer.... lol

Unless you're shooting for top poster, then knock yerself out.. ;)

I remember seeing this as a very small child, and a couple million times since. It's a must for any beginner guitar player. I've had the farewell concert on VHS and DVD forever, love the newest DVD with extra footage.

The Ginger Baker interview is a must for beginner drummers, as well.

{edit} BTW, the interviewer asked EC to explain how an electric guitar works, he didn't just go on about it all by his lonesome.

I never liked him until I saw him live. He was great. Not a brilliant, technical player. Just good at what he does.

Same as Gary Moore. He was stunning live.

Thinking about it. It's funny how guitarists 'shine' live. But singers fail dismally. There aren't many vocalists that are great live singers.

That's why the 'old 'uns' like Tom Jones are still popular.

I've had the farewell concert on VHS and DVD forever, love the newest DVD with extra footage.

For me, with a few laid back exceptions from later on, that was EC at his peak.

I was there too, and then watched it at my Grandparent's house on TV when they broadcast it, and my old Grandma (probably sixty years old or thereabouts) said "I really enjoyed that" which took me TOTALLY by surprise.....

Having said that, EC never dropped too far from that peak, even on a bad day or in the slough of drug dependency, the flames still flickered inside and came out through his fingers.

When I was a kid, just learning to play, my friend turned me on to a new record...Creams Disraeli Gears. I was overwhelmed. I had never heard anything like that before. Sunshine of Your Love was going way over my head. Kind of hard to imagine that today but this was almost 50 years ago.

That record along with the first Zep album changed my entire view of music and guitar playing. This was not the Beatles!!

In fact the same friend took me to see Zep at the Filmore East in NYC before I even heard the record. I walked out of there and I was changed forever as to what music and guitar could be.

Looking at the vid that Rabs posted just showed me how incredible Eric was and that my impression of him was right on the money. You can't realize this unless you experienced it when it was happening.

Forget Hendrix.. that was from outerspace and took me a long time to understand what was going on.

Clapton is a hard worker and a productive man. He has managed his career well.

Most of these guys are in their heyday when they're in their twenties. Most of these guys are entirely toasted by the time they're 60. Clapton is still completely lucid, he continually challenges himself. He's always kept his motivation to learn new things and try different things.

I was there too, and then watched it at my Grandparent's house on TV when they broadcast it...

I remember it on either Kirschner or Wolfmans Saturday Night Special, probably a year or so after he actually did it? Maybe I misremember. He was God, and then he was promoted to a Domino.

rct

One may have to consider his body of musical work he has written,and the standard he has created in pop music,, which so many millions of players have tried to emulate over the yrs,,reflect the quality,and attention to musical detail he displays on every song he has written and performed. He doesnt need to be "super technical" all over the neck for his material to be at the top of the ladder of the music world. His tunes stand on there own,and the test of time. :)

always makes me laugh, but I guess we need to remember that the humbucker was still very new at the time. this is basically a commentary on how amazing those humbuckers are.

Yeah, it's not like they'd been around for 50 or so years when this vid was shot [biggrin]

I was there too, and then watched it at my Grandparent's house on TV when they broadcast it, and my old Grandma (probably sixty years old or thereabouts) said "I really enjoyed that" which took me TOTALLY by surprise.....

Having said that, EC never dropped too far from that peak, even on a bad day or in the slough of drug dependency, the flames still flickered inside and came out through his fingers.

I don't see how he could have been any more "On" than he was at the Staple Center when I saw him in 2007. That was one energetic and amazing show. Derek Truck and Doyle Bramhal, not to mention Robert Cray as an opener, really brought out the best in Clapton. Plus his Rhythm Section was one of the hottest he'd ever toured with. As much as I like Nathan East, Willie weeks is much more Raw and in the moment.

Granted, I wasn't there to see the Farewell Concert at the Royal Albert Hall, but I think I've been to enough shows to know a great show when I see one. Personally, I think a lot of people remember the shows they saw in their youth with more nostalgia than historical accuracy. From a historical standpoint, Clapton only had about half his chops. I don't think he really became "EC" until after his work with Bonnie and Delany.

Archived