Gibson Brands Forums

Your opinions please......

iwalktheline

hey guys, was just curious what glue I should consider using to help keep down my bird pick guard. It keeps popping up at two corners and its getting me very [cursing]. I know most would say to use the double sided tape/adhesive but, I would have to pry more of the guard up in order to get a good grasp on the corners and I don't want to really do that. I read that some people use (Titebond original wood glue) and it seems to work for them but I just wanted to get some input first. Any suggestions would be great.

Your certainly having some shenanigans with your PG issues IWTL,

I have no advice on glue unfortunately..but I am interested in how you have originally applied the guard? Have you used glue and not the tape? I know plenty here have taken guards off and replaced them, personally i wouldn't feel confident enough with mine..esp with the HB guard being so big.

I'm sure someone will give some advice though and you will get it sorted.

I officially crown you the 'Pickguard King' of the Gibson forum ... ;-)

Haha,

EA I notice your guitar list is getting silly...it will soon be taking up most of the page.. [biggrin] another on the way I beleive also ? Some people have more money than...... haha only jealous

(btw I will get around to posting clip of the M1 shortly...i Think )

Oh there are folks here that have over 30 guitars here, it brings me comfort because i was thinking the same was as you actually .... [rolleyes]

Haha,

EA I notice your guitar list is getting silly...it will soon be taking up most of the page.. [biggrin] another on the way I beleive also ? Some people have more money than...... haha only jealous

(btw I will get around to posting clip of the M1 shortly...i Think )

I had that problem with my AJ several years ago and ended up replacing the entire guard under the (dealers) theory that the guard had warped too badly for a short term fix. Althought not in warranty since I was not the original owner, the dealer fixed it free.

I would not use any glue. Double sided tape is the answer. Glue will likely not be good for the top.

JM

Jeremy, is double-sided tape (3M) what Gibson uses now? If so, how long have they been doing it?

I ask this because I want to remove the pickguard on my 2007 Fuller's 1943 SJ re-issue, and am looking for the simplest way that is least likely to mess up the finish.

I want to save the pickguard, by the way: just want to re-position it slightly. :rolleyes:

I had the same problem with one corner edge on my hummingbird. Rather than removing the entire pickguard and replacing the entire pickguard tape I masked the areas on the guitar top surrounding the edge that was lifting with blue painter's tape. I then placed a piece of double sided tape (before removing the backing/purchased from Stew Mac)on the top of the pickguard edge which was lifting. I roughly traced the shape that I needed to cover the spot that was lifting and cut it out with scissors, making it just slightly larger than I needed. I removed the backing on the side of the tape that would attach to the pickguard, very carefully lifted the edge that was loose, and placed the tape under and on the pickguard. I then removed the backing on the tape that would attach to the guitar top and pressed it in place. Then, again very carefully, I cut off the excess tape around the edge of the pickguard with a hobby knife, making sure to only cut deep enough to cut through the excess pickguard tape. The blue painter's tape protects the guitar top from your knife edge. Remove the painter's tape and you're done. The double sided pickguard tape is thin enough that you don't notice the extra thickness of the new piece of pickguard tape. I'm sure there's a better way to make this repair, but this worked for me and I avoided having to remove the entire pickguard. Good luck.

Jeremy, is double-sided tape (3M) what Gibson uses now? If so, how long have they been doing it?

I ask this because I want to remove the pickguard on my 2007 Fuller's 1943 SJ re-issue, and am looking for the simplest way that is least likely to mess up the finish.

I want to save the pickguard, by the way: just want to re-position it slightly. :rolleyes:

Nick,

When removing the PG there will be ripple left behind from the adhesive. The only way to get rid of that would be to wetsand it and buff it.

As for removing the PG I like to apply a little heat to the gaurd/ not much. Then i will lightly lift the gaurd not bending the gaurd too much as to kink it. The heat will help the adhesive stay on the gaurd and not much on the top.

I hope this helps. I will say it is always best to have an experienced luthier do the work.

JM

I remove pickguards using Naptha and a spatula. Naptha is perfectly safe for the finish. It is also useful for cleaning the area underneath the pickguard once it is removed.

To reattach a scratchplate, as suggested the double sided 3M tape you can get from places like Stewmac is the most popular method. They also sell the same adhesive in an aeresol can which while easy to find tends to be a messy way of doing it. Other than you can use something like Franklin Hide Glue or even Elmer's - just so long as it is water soluable.

I know most would say to use the double sided tape/adhesive but, I would have to pry more of the guard up in order to get a good grasp on the corners and I don't want to really do that.

Remember: The object is not just to glue the pickguard down, but to glue it down weakly enough that the glue joint fails before the top cracks as the pickguard shrinks. That's why you want to use the double-sided sheets.

-- Bob R

Nick,

When removing the PG there will be ripple left behind from the adhesive. The only way to get rid of that would be to wetsand it and buff it.

As for removing the PG I like to apply a little heat to the gaurd/ not much. Then i will lightly lift the gaurd not bending the gaurd too much as to kink it. The heat will help the adhesive stay on the gaurd and not much on the top.

I hope this helps. I will say it is always best to have an experienced luthier do the work.

JM

a 'ripple' left behind ?

can you clarify that a little more please jeremy ?

cheers

The adhesive on the PG interacts with the lacquer So it does not look like the rest of the guitar. I don't know how I would clarify on ripple maybe rippley [confused]

JM

lol ,

thanks , thats clear now .

i didnt mean to sound that daft

edit : how come i have seen pics on here of a guitar with a removed pickguard and there is no 'rippling' ?

again , thanks

I will say it is always best to have an experienced luthier do the work.

JM

I intend to. Ironically I'm not afraid of tackling complex construction problems with houses and boats, but my guitars are like my babies, and I tend to spoil them.

lol ,

thanks , thats clear now .

i didnt mean to sound that daft

edit : how come i have seen pics on here of a guitar with a removed pickguard and there is no 'rippling' ?

again , thanks

Blindboy,

Please PM me your cell phone number or email and i will send you a picture from my phone of what i am trying to describe. often it wil depend on how long a gaurd has been on a guitar. The ripple i am talking about is very minimal. I will happily send a photo for you to look at so you can see what I mean.

JM

Why possibly ruin an instrument for the sake of a pickguard?

Couldn't have said it better myself. When I had the 1970 aftermarket pickguard replaced on my old J-45 a couple of years ago as part of a re-fit, Ross Teigen asked me what adhesive I had used putting it on. I couldn't remember after 40 years, for some odd reason.

Turned out I had apparently used some type of rubber cement or contact cement, and he popped it right off without damaging the lacquer. Lord knows what would have happened if I had tried to do it myself!

The moral: don't try to do anything to your guitar yourself that has the potential to seriously damage it, unless you have a pretty good idea of what you are doing.

Your certainly having some shenanigans with your PG issues IWTL,

I have no advice on glue unfortunately..but I am interested in how you have originally applied the guard? Have you used glue and not the tape? I know plenty here have taken guards off and replaced them, personally i wouldn't feel confident enough with mine..esp with the HB guard being so big.

I'm sure someone will give some advice though and you will get it sorted.

Tell me about it....just when I think my mind can rest , something else comes up. Yes, I understand most of it is me being very particular but I cant help it. I ordered the guard and it came with what I believe was the double sided tape on the guard already. It was actually really easy taking off the other guard but I did run into some issues putting the newer one on. It didnt line it up properly and had to take it off and re apply it but it still had all the glue or tape on it. I got really lucky. Yes, this guitar has at times become a pain in my a$$ but most of it is my own doing/fault.

I officially crown you the 'Pickguard King' of the Gibson forum ... ;-)

lol, i drive myself crazy with it. I think once I have taken care of it this time, I should be done......for the love of God, I hope so. [thumbup]

I know most people don't give two craps about the guard but it's my main girl and I just want it to be perfect for me. For me the hummingbird guitar needs the hummingbird guard(just my opinion), that's what makes it the hummingbird. I never thought my Martin would be taken out of the #1 spot but she's been pushed down.

lol, i drive myself crazy with it. I think once I have taken care of it this time, I should be done......for the love of God, I hope so. [thumbup]

I know most people don't give two craps about the guard but it's my main girl and I just want it to be perfect for me. For me the hummingbird guitar needs the hummingbird guard(just my opinion), that's what makes it the hummingbird. I never thought my Martin would be taken out of the #1 spot but she's been pushed down.

I understand it completely. It's easy to become obsessed with such a beautiful creature.....

Archived