Gibson Brands Forums

Old sold as new?

solving

A music store were I live is selling a Doves In Flight. The seller claims it's new.

Even though It's pretty much flawless (it's on public display) I still have my doubts.

The pick-guard is a bit lose at it's bottom. (humidity causes this they claim).

But my biggest concern is that the serial number says it's built in 2009. No I wonder how common is it that when you buy a "new" guitar it's 3 years old?

I agree, this is not an uncommon occurence. When I first heard about something like this, I wondered why a guitar would sit in a shop unsold for 3+ years. At first I assumed the guitar would have to be a dud and that is why no on has bought it. But I have seen multiple posts on this forum and others about people buying "NOS" guitars who say they picked up the guitar and it really sounded great. My thinking is now that, since different guitars sound different and different people like different tones, the fortitous event of the right buyer finding the right guitar just took that long to happen. Now when I read about these stories, I am glad the right buyer finally found the right guitar for them.

Three years old is getting pretty far out from the build date, but it does happen. Some shops will mark those as NOS - New Old Stock - and list them at the "new" price - and that's fair to a point.

There have been a couple posts where this NOS thing was stretched beyond reason. The most recent one I recall was a 10 year old wall hanger selling at the "new" price, which IMO should have had a discounted price.

So now I know what NOS stands for ... And I always thought it referred to some kind of varnish or finishing material ..

NOS= New Old Stock (unused, but older, as in parts off the shelf of an old warehouse, for example: a very desirable thing in restoring vintage cars)

VOS= Vintage Original Spec (a finish aging process to replicate the appearance of an older, well-cared-for instrument, as opposed to a "distressed" finish, which is just what it sounds like. See the "aged" version of the Aaron Lewis Southern Jumbo. Gibson calls it aged, I call it distressed.)

NOS= New Old Stock (unused, but older, as in parts off the shelf of an old warehouse, for example: a very desirable thing in restoring vintage cars)

VOS= Vintage Original Spec (a finish aging process to replicate the appearance of an older, well-cared-for instrument, as opposed to a "distressed" finish, which is just what it sounds like. See the "aged" version of the Aaron Lewis Southern Jumbo. Gibson calls it aged, I call it destressed.)

was gonna point this out to you Euro also..i think you where thinking of recent post..with NOS finish

Nick i was posting as you were writing this..see the other thread... cleared something up for me anyway.

Yeah, there was a thread here several months ago with numerous examples. I've a '50 Chev that was restored several years ago with NOS parts .... believe me, the price was of NOS is many times what it was when they were simply parts. But how cool would it be to get a 15 or 20 year old guitar that was brand new, never registered?

My friend who manages a local guitar store, told me that if a guitar is in the store for over a year....it has a "birthday".....lol.....They DON'T like it when that happens......when it has had 3 birthdays, they are VERY unhappy.....this should result in a VERY good price for you. They usually just want to get rid of it at that point as they have had 50% of the list price tied up in the guitar for over 3 years. Down side is loose pickguards and "shop wear" which can sometimes make it LOOK like a used guitar. They may move this one for cost + a couple of hundred dollars.....make sure they are STILL a certified Gibson dealer and the warranty applies. My friend bought a Gibson from a dealer who "lost" his official status and when the neck had problems, he had no recourse under warranty. Good luck....these guitars are beautiful...

As is stated, guitars can hang on a wall in the store for a long time. A year or two is not exceptional. It's actually fairly common. As Wily suggests, you should get a really decent price on this guitar. I suspect they want to get it out of the store every-bit-as-much as you want to take it home. If you get it, take some pics. [thumbup]

I recently acquired from my mother--in-law a sweet little Martin 5-18, a very tiny little thing, that she bought "new" in 1976 but the serial number puts it as being made in 1968. I have the letter from Martin when she bought it and registered it as new. Back in the late 60's players were looking to dreads and jumbos and the little ones weren't as popular so it's easy to believe that this little beauty sat in the music store for 8 years without being sold. It's still in nearly new shape.

Thanks for all your inputs....

But what about the lose pick-guard(see pic)?

Guess it shoudn't be like that no matter the humidity?

It's actually a very common problem. On a two-year-old L-OO Legend I have, it pops up a little around one edge from time to time. I just press it back down, and it sticks for several months before popping up again.

Nuisance, but no big deal

My friend who manages a local guitar store, told me that if a guitar is in the store for over a year....it has a "birthday".....lol.....They DON'T like it when that happens......when it has had 3 birthdays, they are VERY unhappy.....this should result in a VERY good price for you.

This depends on the dealer's business model, actually. There is one local dealer who loves to be the last place on Earth to have a new guitar of some limited edition for sale, five or more years after it came out. The reason it hasn't sold was that they priced it high in the first place and, as more are sold by other dealers, they raise the price. After a few years, they're often demanding MSRP, or even more. Evidently, the (wealthy) owner is perfectly happy to have large sums of money tied up in inventory. I suppose, if the guitar never sells, it just gets added to his (truly impressive) collection.

make sure they are STILL a certified Gibson dealer and the warranty applies. My friend bought a Gibson from a dealer who "lost" his official status and when the neck had problems, he had no recourse under warranty.

The shop does not have to currently be an authorized dealer for the warranty to apply. If the guitar was purchased from Gibson -- which implies that the dealer was authorized at the time of the purchase -- the warranty will be honored. "Former dealer" sales ate quite common, when dealers fail to re-up because of a cash crunch or a Gibson overstock or a decision not to carry Gibsons anymore or whatever. The guitar your friend bought was likely obtained by the shop in some other way, e.g., purchased from another dealer who was going out of business. In that case, whether the shop was formerly an authorized dealer or not is irrelevant: the guitar is not covered by warranty.

-- Bob R

Good opportunity to get it for 50% off..try to get them to attend to the lifted pickguard by sending it back to Gibson.

Such pretty guitars they are.

If they send it back to Gibson, the shipping cost either one or both ways (about $50 each way) is going to eat into his margin, and he is likely to adjust the price accordingly. I would use the "flaw" as a bargaining chip instead. People here have told him how it can easily be fixed.

The SJ I bought recently was marked down because it had some "hazing" on part of the top, in the classic underarm location. A few minutes with Virtuoso cleaner, and I had it looking like new. People don't realize how easy it is to fix some minor problems.

I bought my '05 Gibson Country Gentleman in '07 as NOS. I went in the store and played it several times over those two years. Saved a about nine hundred dollars for the wait

From the same store, I bought my '08 Martin D28 Elvis Presley in '11 as NOS. Again I played it a few times in the store over that time. I saved over a thousand dollars waiting on this one.

I bought a 2009 Gibson Sheryl Crow from Mandolin Brothers in 2011. I had gone in to buy a Martin HD28 and the SC just said "Come here boy". Yes I bought it a discount.

Just to add to the "no big deal" sentiment already expressed, I once bought a NOS CJ-165 at a store located in an area where most players favored dreadnaughts or jumbos. That guitar had set on the shelf for 3 years with hardly anyone even picking it up and it was in great shape with no shop wear at all when I bought it. I got it for just about cost, including shipping. Not a bad deal.

Dennis

Archived