Gibson Brands Forums

1978 SG Standard

eraph

Hello,

I have a 1978 SG Standard. Does anyone know what type of pickups were used on this guitar? I know that they are Gibson Humbuckers, but if anyone knows any more about them, I'd appreciate some information. Also, the fretboard is very dark wood, Ebony I believe. Can anyone confirm that the 78 SG's were made with ebony fretboards? Thank you!!

I just got some pickups out of a 1976 Explorer those are Tar Backs. So Id say Tarbacks/Ttops/Any of the Bill Lawreance Designed pickups,

Take some reading off of a guitar cord with a meter If the neck is coming in around 5.5 You have the tar backs 7.2 to 8.3 or 4 or 5 T-tops Closer to 9 or just above 9 Bill Lawerance Curcuit Board pickups

Their area few others Like the Super Humbucking Pick and something else I cant rememberI think 78 was kinda a transition period

I just got some pickups out of a 1976 Explorer those are Tar Backs. So Id say Tarbacks/Ttops/Any of the Bill Lawreance Designed pickups,

Take some reading off of a guitar cord with a meter If the neck is coming in around 5.5 You have the tar backs 7.2 to 8.3 or 4 or 5 T-tops Closer to 9 or just above 9 Bill Lawerance Curcuit Board pickups

Their area few others Like the Super Humbucking Pick and something else I cant rememberI think 78 was kinda a transition period

Thank you!

Archived