Gibson Electric Serialization

Taken from the 11th Edition

Blue Book of Electric Guitars

Centennial Year/Models: 1994 is the most notable exception, with the first

two numbers representing the year, so all models start with 94 and are followed

by six digits. The Centennial models produced for the 1994 model year have

an inked-on serial number that is six digits long. The serial number appears as

YYYYMM. The first four represent the number produced. They all started on

1894, which represents instrument #1, and 1994 would be instrument #101.

The last two digits indicate the month of the guitar released. A new model was

released each month with a total of fourteen different models that includes two

prototypes. The last two numbers will range from one to fourteen.

This Info is only part true, My serial number is stamped into the headstock like any other Gibson not inked, Unless when it was repainted it was stamped then?

Here's how it looks currently except I've now grain filled the bare mahogany & await sanding it all flush before spraying it with the Transparent Red Finish..

Note: Headstock Break & Repair plus four wooden dowels.. Repair is Super Strong..

Headstock%20Stripped.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've got a similar question. I recently purchased a Gibson Memphis ES-335 in Antique Natural. The model number/name is ESDT15ANNH. I have always been under the impression that DT in the name means DOT as in 335 dot inlay. However, my inlays are block. Any idea what's going on with this one? I did a web search of the name and all that have photos come up as block inlay.

Thanks.

"1" = not second

On numerous Gibson tours, the guide mentioned that Gibson does not sell 2nd's anymore. Defective guitars are destroyed... I saw a bunch of them in racks looking nice and new! Makes me want to rescue all of them if not ...some of them!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hey all I wanted to add to this thread a clarification in the model number letters. It may not mean much but, specifically the " N" in a model number. That stands for "New" not Nashville, at least for the 2013 run. Gibson does not need to designate Nashville as that's the only place of manufacture unless I am wrong?

Example: LPNSTDPLHSCH1 in lefty or LPNSTDPHSCH1 for right handed.

LP----Les Paul

N-----New

STD---Standard

L-----Left handed

P-----Premium plus top AAA

HS----Heritage Sunburst

CH---Chrome Hardware

1----First--not a second.

That's how mine should read...instead under the bridge pickup is just LPNSTDPL and under the neck is just HS. No CH or 1 to be found.

• 2 years later...
13 hours ago, SGgypsyboy said:

The 1 at the end indicates which run it was. I have one with a 3 which was the 3rd run of a GC exclusive. It has nothing to do with being a 1st or 2nd quality instrument.

It depends on which specific model of instrument you are talking about. In your case it might well have indicated what you say it does but, historically speaking, usually it DOES indicate whether an instrument is a first or second.

Pip.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:11 PM, Harmonics101 said:

What does my Samsung TV model SZ4004P20PZY% mean?

Just unbelievable the useless zombie threads that keep popping up here.

But, in the very least, they are entertaining reading if not informative.

🐵

H

What's so hard to believe?  If it is still relevant,  then it doesn't matter how old it is.  In this case it is indeed still relevant.   So why do you feel the need for sarcastic criticism? 

Edited by Wmachine
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/22/2015 at 1:16 PM, thewizardofAz said:

I've got a similar question. I recently purchased a Gibson Memphis ES-335 in Antique Natural. The model number/name is ESDT15ANNH. I have always been under the impression that DT in the name means DOT as in 335 dot inlay. However, my inlays are block. Any idea what's going on with this one? I did a web search of the name and all that have photos come up as block inlay.

Thanks.

On 7/22/2015 at 1:53 PM, BigKahune said:

The one thing consistent about Gibson is inconsistency. B) . . I've seen it reference a couple ways -

DoT markers

Dual pups Thinline

And Dual pups figured Top

I have not yet been able to determine what the DT is, but all of the above are not it, and surly came from guesses.  What I can determine is that it is used in the "standard" models of many types.

On 12/16/2016 at 3:13 AM, pitviper said:

Hey all I wanted to add to this thread a clarification in the model number letters. It may not mean much but, specifically the " N" in a model number. That stands for "New" not Nashville, at least for the 2013 run. Gibson does not need to designate Nashville as that's the only place of manufacture unless I am wrong?

Example: LPNSTDPLHSCH1 in lefty or LPNSTDPHSCH1 for right handed.

LP----Les Paul

N-----New

STD---Standard

L-----Left handed

P-----Premium plus top AAA

HS----Heritage Sunburst

CH---Chrome Hardware

1----First--not a second.

That's how mine should read...instead under the bridge pickup is just LPNSTDPL and under the neck is just HS. No CH or 1 to be found.

CH is one of the most widely used wrongly interpreted codes.  It is NOT Chrome Hardware.  C is for the Chrome Hardware, H is for hardtail.   

The 1 at the end is not a designation for 1st or 2nd, probably the next most widely and wrongly interpreted codes.  Stamps for that, when used. are never part of the serial number.  And there never is the need to stamp a "first".  Think about it.  I've asked Gibson about that last digit and they blew me off saying it was not something that would mean anything to the consumer.  I take that to mean he didn't know.

And as said earlier, there is not a lot of consistency on what is in the model number, which leads to misinterpretations and speculations.

Edited by Wmachine
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/26/2019 at 8:28 AM, Wmachine said:

I have not yet been able to determine what the DT is, but all of the above are not it, and surly came from guesses.  What I can determine is that it is used in the "standard" models of many types.

CH is one of the most widely used wrongly interpreted codes.  It is NOT Chrome Hardware.  C is for the Chrome Hardware, H is for hardtail.   

The 1 at the end is not a designation for 1st or 2nd, probably the next most widely and wrongly interpreted codes.  Stamps for that, when used. are never part of the serial number.  And there never is the need to stamp a "first".  Think about it.  I've asked Gibson about that last digit and they blew me off saying it was not something that would mean anything to the consumer.  I take that to mean he didn't know.

And as said earlier, there is not a lot of consistency on what is in the model number, which leads to misinterpretations and speculations.

DT code: Confusing and problematic. Gibson uses it inconsistently across different models - and not just "standard" models ("Dual pups figured  Top", that DT was on a thinline model with dual pups and a figured top - not a standard model). Gibson does use T to indicate figured Top - I have a 359 with a figured top designated in the model number with a T (ES359TVSGH1). Also,  DT = DoT (vs. block) markers (that is from Gibson C/S), and yet DT also shows up on models with markers that are not dots.  The same confusion exists for DP - Dual Pickups and Dot Plain-top

Some information about model numbers in the Gibson acoustic division -

CH code: I also own several Gibson acoustics as well as Gibson electrics, and have seen many model numbers. CH is used on acoustics and it means Chrome Hardware. Similarly Gibson acoustics use GH and NH for Gold Hardware and Nickel Hardware. Note the hardware code is 2 letters in all cases. As for electrics, here's a Sweetwater listing page for a '61 SG Standard Vibrola which lists the model number/manufactures part number as SG61V00VENH1 where NH is the code for Nickel Hardware, NOT Nickel,  Hardtail. As for a hardtail - here's a Sweetwater listing page for 61 SG Standard (hardtail) which lists the model number/manufactures part number as SG6100VENH1, ending the same way. Seems Gibson is again using NH for  Nickel Hardware, NOT Nickel,  Hardtail. For acoustics as well as electrics, this makes using C for Chrome and H for Hardtail obviously problematic, and I'm not sure it is correct.

1 code: In 1985 Gibson stopped labeling seconds, but many model numbers still end in 1. It appears that Gibson acoustic reassigned the number for the hand  -  1=RH, 2=LH, and 3=RH with pick up, and 4=LH with pick up. Sometime after 2014 Gibson Acoustic began to drop the ending digit from model numbers and designate left handed guitars by ending the model# with "L". I don't know what Gibson electric division uses the 1 for, but it doesn't indicate the hand.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, BigKahune said:

CH code: I also own several Gibson acoustics as well as Gibson electrics, and have seen many model numbers. CH is used on acoustics and it means Chrome Hardware. Similarly Gibson acoustics use GH and NH for Gold Hardware and Nickel Hardware. Note the hardware code is 2 letters in all cases. As for electrics, here's a Sweetwater listing page for a '61 SG Standard Vibrola which lists the model number/manufactures part number as SG61V00VENH1 where NH is the code for Nickel Hardware, NOT Nickel,  Hardtail. As for a hardtail - here's a Sweetwater listing page for 61 SG Standard (hardtail) which lists the model number/manufactures part number as SG6100VENH1, ending the same way. Seems Gibson is again using NH for  Nickel Hardware, NOT Nickel,  Hardtail. For acoustics as well as electrics, this makes using C for Chrome and H for Hardtail obviously problematic, and I'm not sure it is correct.

I really challenge some of your conclusions, like DT.  Some of what may appear to be inconsistencies are simply because an assumed meaning is not correct.  Not to say there are not inconsistencies.  But I can tell you that the H in CH is definitionally not Hardware.  Find a Les Paul with a Floyd and tell me what the model number is?  I can tell you it has a F, not a H.  I have an ES with a Maestro that is  ES456416SCGM1.  And I've seen lots more examples too.  So again, certain presumptions have been made that are just not true.  Sometime one has to use counter-logic too.  H really can't mean hardware. Gold, Nickel, Chrome means the hardware color.  The second digit would be meaninglessly redundant if that were true.  But it is not, as other letters do exist, but are relatively rare in Gibson models.

One thing for sure, the inconsistencies make this really difficult.   And I don't know why Gibson can't be more help either.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 11:21 AM, Wmachine said:

I really challenge some of your conclusions, like DT.  Some of what may appear to be inconsistencies are simply because an assumed meaning is not correct.  Not to say there are not inconsistencies.  But I can tell you that the H in CH is definitionally not Hardware.  Find a Les Paul with a Floyd and tell me what the model number is?  I can tell you it has a F, not a H.  I have an ES with a Maestro that is  ES456416SCGM1.  And I've seen lots more examples too.  So again, certain presumptions have been made that are just not true.  Sometime one has to use counter-logic too.  H really can't mean hardware. Gold, Nickel, Chrome means the hardware color.  The second digit would be meaninglessly redundant if that were true.  But it is not, as other letters do exist, but are relatively rare in Gibson models.

One thing for sure, the inconsistencies make this really difficult.   And I don't know why Gibson can't be more help either.

Actually I have no solid conclusions on DT or any of the other coding. It's a work in progress. All of the information I have has been gathered over many years by collecting  information from posts like this where members are decoding numbers and look for confirmation by consistency. Very little information has come from Gibson C/S - for whatever reason they are unwilling or unable to provide answers. So yes, you are correct in saying a lot of this is guess work. As more people get involved, information gets better.

Thanks for posting the ES maestro model number (was that a 356?). Very interesting with the GM. It is now apparent to me the electric and acoustic divisions  don't always use the same codes. Confusing things more is Gibson's inconsistency in wording. For example, I have a ES-359 the model name is ES359Curly on the inside label and the model number is ES359TVSGH1 (where VS is probably Vintage Sunburst finish) which seemingly decodes to a figured top - apparently using Curly (maple) and figured top to mean the same thing. I've seen that T used on both curly and quilted maple tops.

I've been on this forum since 2008 and officially joined in 2009. Over those years there's been less than 10 members that really tried to get a handle on this stuff. Glad to see you posting on the subject.

9 hours ago, BigKahune said:

Actually I have no solid conclusions on DT or any of the other coding. It's a work in progress. All of the information I have has been gathered over many years by collecting  information from posts like this where members are decoding numbers and look for confirmation by consistency. Very little information has come from Gibson C/S - for whatever reason they are unwilling or unable to provide answers. So yes, you are correct in saying a lot of this is guess work. As more people get involved, information gets better.

Thanks for posting the ES maestro model number (was that a 356?). Very interesting with the GM. It is now apparent to me the electric and acoustic divisions  don't always use the same codes. Confusing things more is Gibson's inconsistency in wording. For example, I have a ES-359 the model name is ES359Curly on the inside label and the model number is ES359TVSGH1 (where VS is probably Vintage Sunburst finish) which seemingly decodes to a figured top - apparently using Curly (maple) and figured top to mean the same thing. I've seen that T used on both curly and quilted maple tops.

I've been on this forum since 2008 and officially joined in 2009. Over those years there's been less than 10 members that really tried to get a handle on this stuff. Glad to see you posting on the subject.

Thanks,BigKahune.   Now that I know someone is collecting this info, I'll give you whatever I run into to help the cause.  I'm quite familiar with this type of research and evidence gathering.  I'll be more than happy to help.  FWIW, it seems that model number on inside labels are really hodge podge and incomplete.  More like an abbreviated description.  Not matching the model number on the COA.

BTW, that model number I gave you is my 2016 Memphis '64 ES-345 TDC Maestro VOS Sixties Cherry.290631978_forposting.jpg.0c44de0f7bea03c33f17c32977ce1fc8.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys, how about a Custom Shop challenge for ya: LPR9RLSBNHFRR 
I worked some of this out, but not all of it: LP - Les Paul, R9 - 1959 Re-issue, RL - Relic, SB - ??, NH - Nickel Hardware, FRR -??
Hell Yeah!
Moose, Sons of Liberty

Edited by Moose UK

Hello,

learned a lot from reading these posts. still cant interpret my model number. Mine was a gift from a special friend and I wasn't going to be awkward and ask pointed questions about it.

it is a LPSSP900GTNH1  I get that it is a Les Paul Standard and it is a Gold Top with nickel hardware 1st . It is the SP900  that im looking for an answer to.

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Looking at a model code LPCGGT 

Les Paul __________Gold Top.   
it is supposedly a 2008. 
has NO model name like “standard” or “traditional” written on headstock/rod cover.    What is the “CG”?    I can’t find this anywhere googling it.  

Edited by Dave Lieb
Typo

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi folks, new here i recently purchased a Les Paul I can't decode the model number LPTD317HBNU3 pretty sure this is correct the writing from the factory isn't the best, the D looks like it could be a 0 any help would be much appreciated. Cheers Aaron 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Someone is selling the guitar as a "Premium Plus" rig, and I want to verify the "Premium Plus" designation. The pictures indicate the SN and year are correct, but I don't know if it's a Premium Plus Guitar.

Model # is: LPNSTDPDBCH1

Les Paul-Nashville-Standard-Premium-Desert Burst-Chrome Hardware-First Run

If this guitar was a Premium Plus Guitar, would the Model # indicate PP instead of just P? Is there any way to tell if a guitar is Premium vs. Premium Plus other than the AA vs. AAA flame detail, which is subjective?

Thank you!

Edited by RWW