Gibson Brands Forums

HELP !!!!!! strange sound!

poopcicle

Hey everyone, I have a 1960 tribute plus lp that I love. I have noticed at home playing through a smaller amp that when I play a normal first position em or a g,a or f power chord I am getting a little noise from my amp, and I have been experiencing a sort of distorted trailing/sustaining hiss with my mxr custom badass 78 distortion pedal and thought I had a bad pedal but today playing without it through 3 of my "little" amps I noticed the same kinda hissing, fizzy noise and what sounds like a little tube ringing form all 3 amps when playing the same chords and progressions that use said chords. the noise is not really noticeable clean and quiet but with volume or gain it is very noticeable and thus why I though it was my pedal for so long..... I am at a loss here, it may have been happening all along and I just don't hear it at practice with my bigger amp another guitar , bass and a kit. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks

As an after thought and prob not related at all, I changed my strings last night and now there is a lot of string noise I have never had before, buzz and rattle could this be contributing, could this possible be errant string or something else vibrating that is coming through? Thanks again [confused]

Hey everyone, I have a 1960 tribute plus lp that I love. I have noticed at home playing through a smaller amp that when I play a normal first position em or a g,a or f power chord I am getting a little noise from my amp, and I have been experiencing a sort of distorted trailing/sustaining hiss with my mxr custom badass 78 distortion pedal and thought I had a bad pedal but today playing without it through 3 of my "little" amps I noticed the same kinda hissing, fizzy noise and what sounds like a little tube ringing form all 3 amps when playing the same chords and progressions that use said chords. the noise is not really noticeable clean and quiet but with volume or gain it is very noticeable and thus why I though it was my pedal for so long..... I am at a loss here, it may have been happening all along and I just don't hear it at practice with my bigger amp another guitar , bass and a kit. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks

As an after thought and prob not related at all, I changed my strings last night and now there is a lot of string noise I have never had before, buzz and rattle could this be contributing, could this possible be errant string or something else vibrating that is coming through? Thanks again [confused]

I have a MXR 78 Distortion too and it works great.

It could be a host of things. Gain level on amp up to high. Bad amp cord. Bad connection/patchcord to pedal, etc.

Have you tried plugging it into a different outlet then the one you usually use? If I plug my rig into one outlet at my place I get a lot of noise. But if I plug it into a different outlet on an adjacent wall it sounds very quiet.

Good luck in remedying the problem. :)

I have a MXR 78 Distortion too and it works great.

It could be a host of things. Gain level on amp up to high. Bad amp cord. Bad connection/patchcord to pedal, etc.

Have you tried plugging it into a different outlet then the one you usually use? If I plug my rig into one outlet at my place I get a lot of noise. But if I plug it into a different outlet on an adjacent wall it sounds very quiet.

Good luck in remedying the problem. :)

I agree with Brad. Have you tried different cords, or do you use one amp cord?

Also, you mentioned you changed your strings. How is the action on your guitar? If it's too low it can cause a fret buzz sound as well.

Thanks guys! I have tried a few cords all with the same results, all amps have fresh tubes and yes ai did change my strings and yes all of a sudden there is string buzz but prior to this I have changed strings on this guitar many times with no problems. I am not very savvy when it comes to the mechanics of guitars but The action was good and maintained through prior changes so who knows maybe it is the change of seasons up here in Boston! I will have to break out my wildkat and see if it has the same trailing noise as the LP. I use a powerstrip that supposedly has a conditioner in it but who knows I have noticed a lot of electrical noise here in my place with pickups and and amp hum so it may very well be the crappy power! [confused]

I personally haven't had one of those guitars in my hands, so I have to ask if it has the wire retainer over the string saddles?

I've had a couple of mine start rattling and found it was the saddles, and I had one that one of the nuts on the tuner had come loose and was allowing it to make noise.

I'd get it to a really quiet room and play it without the amp and see if it makes any noticeable noises.

Archived