Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson melody maker

Smashdrill

I own a 2007 single pickup, LP Melody Maker in vintage sunburst. As far as the guitar goes, it is somewhat limited in the tones it can produce, but the sounds it does make it makes very well. It is a very simple guitar, and is very thin and light weight. I love mine, but keep in mind, in stock form, it is limited tone-wise. If you are buying one new, $485 (USD) is cheap for a USA Gibson, but you can buy more versatile, and even better guitars for this price. (Think Ibanez, ESP - LTD). If this will be your only guitar, and you only play one style of music, I suppose you could modify the pickup to suit your style. If you already own a "better" guitar, adding this simple little guitar to your collection will be a lot of fun! I like the Melody Maker's vintage appeal, so if you want a more traditional or vintage looking guitar, the Melody Maker is a good choice. It would be worth looking for one of the used 2 pickup models though, as they are much more versatile! As for Punk Rock music, the single coil pickup in mine doesn't really crunch or distort too well. No matter what, my Melody Maker always stays a tad twangy, kinda like a Telecaster!

I've got a 1965 DC Melody Maker . . . . great value and great little guitar, still kicks a$$.

Excellent for modding.

Indeed, here's a pic of my '64 D DC

Mf6HJ.jpg

Custom Wolfetone P90 in the bridge (no routing required), new pickguard (also custom) and a TonePros AVT-II wraparound. Also upgraded the tuners. Everything else is stock.

Archived