Gibson Brands Forums

Dazed and Confused by......... The Yardbirds???

Rabs

So I stumbled across this vid.. At first when he starts singing I thought it was one of those joke videos where someone overdubs themselves either singing or playing really badly to a classic bit of footage.. But no.. it seems to be real..

And then when I saw the host trying to dance to it (at 2:12) I thought it was a joke again lol :P :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58mQvW0ROag&feature=fvwrel

Then next to it I spotted this bit of footage from Jimmys skiffle band.. Ive seen clips of it but never the whole thing before so thought fans may appreciate it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0tAOIQiz-8&feature=g-vrec

Wow never seen this,,pretty wild. The music is the same,,but the lyrics are different,,Bizzare? Theres probably alot of songs shared between the groups back in the day when many of them shared the same players,{Beck,,Clapton,,Page,, yardbirds,Small faces,,ect},cool to think about the stuff we havent heard,,maybe theyll release some basement tapes someday! Cheers!

I believe that someone is confusing skittle band with "skiffle"band which was popular in Britian in the late 50s,early 60's era.Skiffle was a type of music that was based on U.S. country/folk music and usually included a guitar,banjo,washtub bass and washboard and maybe even drums for percussion.Other instruments such as harmonica or fiddle etc. would often get thrown into the mix because it was usually an "anything goes" type of band and music.

BTW a Skittle group would be competition for the M&M's Band and the California Raisins...lol.

Page joined The Yardbirds in '66 on bass after Paul Samwell-Smith left. Pretty soon he switched from bass to second lead with Jeff Beck. When Jeff left the group (October '66) "The Yardbirds" were falling apart. Page wanted to form a supergroup - himself and Jeff Beck on guitars, with Keith Moon and John Entwistle. For singers they looked at the likes of Steve's Winwood and Marriott, but the group didn't happen, though Page, Beck and Moon did record "Beck's Bolero" in '66, along with John Paul Jones, who expressed an interest in taking it further.

"The Yardbirds" last gig was July '68, but contractual obligations for concerts in Scandinavia meant Page along with bass Chris Dreja, hooked up with Plant and Bonham to play them. Dreja bailed and John Paul Jones came on board to fill his slot.

This line up did a session for PJ Proby and finished the Scandanavian tour as "The New Yardbirds" - and this was the name they used when I first saw them at the Marquee late in '68 - shortly afterwards somebody prevented them from using the "Yardbirds" part of the name, and they came up with "Lead Zeppelin" - which Peter G shortened to "Led Zeppelin" so the Americans would pronounce it right.....

The rest (as they say) is history.

So I stumbled across this vid.. At first when he starts singing I thought it was one of those joke videos where someone overdubs themselves either singing or playing really badly to a classic bit of footage.. But no.. it seems to be real..

And then when I saw the host trying to dance to it (at 2:12) I thought it was a joke again lol :P :)

Then next to it I spotted this bit of footage from Jimmys skittle band.. Ive seen clips of it but never the whole thing before so thought fans may appreciate it ;)

Two videos that should be lost I think ! [scared]

Yet more very early Zep...this is from December 30th, 1968...before the first album was released. They are performing live in the US supporting Vanilla Fudge, and they were billed on the poster as "Len Zefflin"...evidently someone mis-heard their name...NO ONE had ever heard this band in the US before this concert, and no one had any idea what to expect. People knew who Page was from his time with The Yardbirds, but other than that they were unknown...but not for long...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-nt9brRjcg

There are several other cuts from the bootleg this came from...

here's a little more of it...sound quality is bad-it was recorded by a college student using a small tape recorder, but this is thought to be the first concert recording of Led Zeppelin...aka Len Zefflin ( I wonder what ever happened to Len...)

Train Kept Rollin' was their opening number, an done that had been a staple of the Yardbirds for years...but not like this!

mark

Archived