Gibson Brands Forums

Dilemma again

dc3c46

Sometimes it is hard to make decisions.

And who better to ask for an opinion but the Forum .

This is what it is:

Wanting on more guitar I narrowed it down to either

the new SG Junior nad the new PRS SE Custom 24.

Both guitars are in the same price range and this suits me well,

as I do not want to spend the way I spent on my Gibsons and other

high end instruments before.

What speaks for the SG Junior is that it is a made in U.S. instrument

but with baked maple.

The PRS is made in Korea but seems to be of excellent quality and

as far as I checked online sounds pretty good.

I do not have the chance to check out both and compare them.

What to do?

What are the opinions? I'd be glad to listen!

PRS SE.

they have super fast necks, good pickups, and i think the Korean factories have come leaps and bounds in their guitar making.

The Juniors are cool, but tonewise, somewhat limiting due to only one pickup.. well depending on the amp etc, but you know what i mean.

i wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the PRS over a Junior, but its your money.

cheers!

PRS SE.

they have super fast necks, good pickups, and i think the Korean factories have come leaps and bounds in their guitar making.

The Juniors are cool, but tonewise, somewhat limiting due to only one pickup.. well depending on the amp etc, but you know what i mean.

i wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the PRS over a Junior, but its your money.

cheers!

Well, I play blues and classic rock - no metal and/or shredding.

Amps are Lonestar Special, Vox AC15, Blues Jr.

Guitars already are LP Standard, ES339, ES333, Firebird V, Ric360/12, LP P-90, EC Strat, Tele, Gretsch 6120.

Well, I play blues and classic rock - no metal and/or shredding.

Amps are Lonestar Special, Vox AC15, Blues Jr.

Guitars already are LP Standard, ES339, ES333, Firebird V, Ric360/12, LP P-90, EC Strat, Tele, Gretsch 6120.

You have all the Gibson's you need. Go for the PRS.

Go for the PRS.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/91942-ngd/

And mine :D

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/91608-ngd-9-11-2012/page__p__1254381__fromsearch__1#entry1254381

I think the SE Custom 24 and my SE Santana play just as well as my 2012 SG '61 Reissue.

The Santanas neck is wide and fat, but it plays very nice.

The Custom 24 is slim.

The neck on this Custom 24 is very similar to the early 60s SG neck like I have on my Reissue.

I am sure you have seen these vids, but they are two of the best ones out.

The one comment that hit me as best is the one about playing first... that some guitars "speak to you" and some don't - and that's regardless of overall quality.

I don't know if it's weight distribution, the specifics of the neck and body compared to the player's physiology, the guitar vs. the player's physical style of playing...

But some guitars just ... somehow ... don't make it regardless of cost or build quality.

OTOH, in terms of cost, pups, feel, etc., you might also wanna look into an Epi. My youngest brother has played off and on for probably 25 years. He's an under-40 who is physically much bigger than I am, and we're very different in terms of playing style and concept. But his purchase about a year ago of a high end Epi LP had him saying it's the best playing guitar he's ever touched. Unlike his much older brother, he has the cash to buy about anything he likes, but like his older brother, he tends to research before he spends.

m

I'm in a band with two other guitar players, 1 a gibson LP, the other an American Strat (one of their select models). I bought a Custom PRS SE in July and we were all amazed at the sound, playability, versatility. It is the only guitar I play on stage now. The other two guys are ALWAYS commenting on how great the PRS sounds.

We play stuff from 80s style power ballads to TransSiberian Orchestra. I play a LOT of blues on the thing, as well.

Great, Great, Great guitar.

swleary...

That's how it's supposed to happen.

I think too often pickers will get a guitar because they think they should like it because of brand, pickups and comments from others whose opinions they trust ... and end up somehow a bit disappointed as time goes on.

Just an observation from an old guy. We're all different physically and mentally; a so-so guitar for one may be "it" for another.

I look back at my swapping days when heaven knows how much cash and perhaps great guitars I lost trading for something or another I thought I needed more than what I had.

In retrospect I guess I didn't really bond with some regardless that more than a few were pretty special guitars, perhaps near-great instruments. Yet... I kept five through my lean pickin' years of my two decades of "life number two" - and one I theoretically didn't even like although it's now still pretty much my favorite. Why did I keep one I didn't care for? I think because it knew I would love it long term. It's the one in my avatar.

The one that somehow speaks to us, even at a subconscious level, is gonna be the keeper - not the one we think from other input that we "should" want and like. Dunno how. Dunno why. But I'm utterly convinced that's truth after some 50 years at it.

m

Archived