Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

12 String Trapeze tailpiece

Bill SoCal

Recommended Posts

I am trying to restore a Gibson 12-String acoustic that had this tailpiece on it. I cannot seem to find a match for it. Does anyone know if this item has a particular name or know where I could find one? The guitar is old, but I cannot determine its exact age as there aren't any markings inside the sound hole that I can see.



post-47307-028305100 1348178589_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also check out the 12-string tailpiece at guitarpartsresource.com. Like the allparts version, this is designed for shallow-body electrics, as far as I can tell, and the endpin hole may not line up with that on your B25 or B45 12-string.


All you really need, however, is the new wire bail and the two nuts for the end of it. I suspect you could buy one of these two aftermarket tailpieces, open up the rounded-over "barrel" part that keeps the bail captive in the endpiece (just enough to get the wire bail out), and insert it into your old endpiece. This is a little tricky, as the endpiece is rolled over the wire bail as part of the original assembly process, and it will take a little finesse to do it without damage to the parts.


I do believe this could be done, however. I would take it on myself if I were comfortable with using tools and doing the most basic metalwork. Otherwise, take the old broken piece and the new tailpiece to a competent guitar tech. You don't need a luthier for this: just someone who is comfortable working with the appropriate hand tools, including a bench vise and an appropriate tool to pry open the rolled-over part of the endpiece.


I checked the trap tail on my ES 335-12, and it is identical to yours except for the part that actually wraps around the body.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...