Gibson Brands Forums

Tribute to Neil Young.

EuroAussie

Since the old man was a recent topic thread I thought Id post our tribute to the great Canadian from our gig last nite at Kava Kava Kava (means coffee, coffee, coffee in Czech).

Its a new venue we started playing recently, and Im currently trying different guitars to see what works best with the set up. Last week it was the SJ but this week I went for my Furch OM. To be honest this probably should have been played on a dread, but I think I got away with it.

Always a challenge to hit those high pesky high notes on the chorus but I think my singer got away with it, in particular the second time around.

Anyway, here's our tribue to Neil Young, Old Man. Trust you enjoy it.

cheers,

EA

Good live sound as usual from you blokes.I usually burst a few facial blood vessels trying to reach those notes [wink] .

Nice looking venue too...i'm assuming that's a pleasant sunny garden outside..not a poster on the window?

cheers FB, and actually it is a backlit poster, but kinda cool, aint it ?

What pickup system do you have in that guitar? Sounds pretty good. Neil's high notes are a stretch. I keep my Martin HD 28 tuned down a whole step, and when I play NY that's the one I grab, or it ain't gonna happen. This looks like a quite nice environ to play in. Jealous.

Oh man...I LOVED it!

I would have preferred the video to be closer to you so I could watch your guitar work

(NOT that the animated blonde in the red top should be eliminated).

You should see the barmaid Rob ! Glad you enjoyed it, its a really great, fun song to play, love all those cowboy hammer ons in there !

What pickup system do you have in that guitar? Sounds pretty good. Neil's high notes are a stretch. I keep my Martin HD 28 tuned down a whole step, and when I play NY that's the one I grab, or it ain't gonna happen. This looks like a quite nice environ to play in. Jealous.

Actually we were tuned down half a step, and have been playing in this tuning for a few months now. Capo up when required. But I like the tone half step down, gives it a bit more beef and the singer appreciates it also.

In terms of pickup all my gigging guitars have a fishman matrix infinity, coupled with an Aura Spectrum DI. I use a Martin OM18v image here as this guitar is very similar in tone to the Martin. The whole thing then goes into a Marshall AS100D amp, guitars and vocals.

Is is a nice venue to play in, the live music scene in Prague has really taken off in the last few years, which is great for us and provides a lot of good variety. There has always been a very strong tradition in Czech Republic when it comes to acoustic playing, mainly folky stuff but were teaching them more about how to use those Cowboy chords Dan .... ;-)

Thanks for listening and commenting !

Good to see Doubleshot enter vintage territory, , , and getting a grip.

Backlit poster, , , whou - I thought it was the Garden of Eden and a top indian summer in Prague.

EA, , , if it is the police comin' to take you away in the end, it's not for the performance.

Good to see Doubleshot enter vintage territory, , , and getting a grip.

Backlit poster, , , whou - I thought it was the Garden of Eden and a top indian summer in Prague.

EA, , , if it is the police comin' to take you away in the end, it's not for the performance.

Actually there is a good story to the backdrop 'garden of eden'.

The owner of the bar is a Canadian chap, and his sister was a missionary nun working in Nigeria in a sort of Monastery helping HIV infected single mothers cope. This was the view from that Monastery in Nigeria. It really does look like the garden of Eden, so the owner thought it would make a special backdrop, I concurred with him.

Glad you enjoy the show Em7, were starting to explore teh vintage material and finding that even young folk who are not even English speakers enjoy these tracks. Mostly theyve never heard them before, but a good song is a good song, right ..

Mark,

That is absolutely superb!

Although this song is impossible for most of us to sing, your singer did a really fine job.

The backlit poster had me fooled, as well.

I would love to see you guys do a good recording setup for your performances, with both the singer and your guitar close-mic'd straight into a recording device that could be sync'd to the video. There's just too much ambient noise to get the real feel for it.

As we used to say about performing in bars, "it's tough to play second fiddle to a glass of beer and a piece of a$$!"

"it's tough to play second fiddle to a glass of beer and a piece of a$$!"

Ha, but its nice to look at one with a cheeky smile while youre strumming away, aint it Nick ... ? :-)

We might perhaps do as you suggest, there is also a setting on the Zoom Q3HD recorder I use that is meant to drown out the background noise. Im just worried it might kill the high frequencies a bit and not provide a true reproduction of whats coming from the amp. But I may give it a go as I often record gigs to reveiw the performance and know where the sloppy parts were and what needs to be worked on.

Glad you enjoyed it Nick, cheers !

nice job aussie !

like dan said , well jealous of such a nice gig to play , looks very civilised

and btw , neil young himself has been known to tune down half a step !

Cheers BBG, yeah its a really a nice little spot that just started having live music. They plan to add lighting and a PA so it should be really good. Its on the 'wrong' side of the river in a slight dodgy part of town (did you hear the cops going by) but that just adds to the mojo, doesnt it ... ?

That's got to be my favorite Neil Young song. That, and his version of Ian Tyson's "Four Strong Winds." .......I really like the sound on this video. It's not perfect, but neither is life, and you guys were playing in a real-life situation. This is real music. Very cool.........and "yep," the gal in the red sweater is easy-on-the-eyes. [thumbup]

That's got to be my favorite Neil Young song. That, and his version of Ian Tyson's "Four Strong Winds." .......I really like the sound on this video. It's not perfect, but neither is life, and you guys were playing in a real-life situation. This is real music. Very cool.........and "yep," the gal in the red sweater is easy-on-the-eyes. [thumbup]

Cheers Larry, its also by far my fave Neil Young song. To be honest Im not much of a fan as his whiny voice gets to me, but this track really grabbed me. We had another gig following night in a different venue, where we played Old Man again, this tme using my Hummingbird and I wish I recorded that perormance becasue the plugged in power of the Bird' just really shone on this track, however the little OM did a fine job I think. Its always easier when playing live as you have EQ options, so if you need a bit more grunt from an OM you can easily add a bit more bass or midrange.

Glad you enjoyed it Larry !

Archived