Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown Standard Bass

BobB

That's a beauty! [thumbup]

I wonder if a Hipshot Super Tone bridge would work on that body (not a fan of the 3-point).

No reason it shouldn't since it's a drop-in replacement for the 3 point. I'm not a big fan of the 3 point either (though it blows the old 2 points out of the water) only because it need some extra care in set up. But I must admit, when it finally comes together it's rock solid.

I've been perving for an EB-2 myself, ever since my friend picked up a mid 60's Rivoli last year.

And in Pelham Blue it's particularly killer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Here's my lefty Midtown and my EB-2.

66952_10200551006886855_1756790498_n_zps3ee7950a.jpg

Your EB-2 looks almost exactly like mine, except that mine still has the stock bridge pickup and has a bridge cover. Otherwise, swap the neck pickup for a black DiMarzio One and they would be identical. I guess they aren't excatly alike after all, are they? Anyway, both of your bass guitars are beautiful.

Yep, gotta have that switch between pickups. I bet the neck pickup sounds killer!

I'm not sure you absolutely have to have a switch. I'm about to rewire an Epi T'bird Pro with four pots but no switch. If it works, I'll be happy. If it doesn't, I'll find a place to put a switch.

Your EB-2 looks almost exactly like mine, except that mine still has the stock bridge pickup and has a bridge cover. Otherwise, swap the neck pickup for a black DiMarzio One and they would be identical. I guess they aren't excatly alike after all, are they? Anyway, both of your bass guitars are beautiful.

My EB-2 is a bit weird, the large humbucker at the bridge, and the stereo outputs are from the factory. The truss rod cover reads "STEREO".

I bought it from a pawn shop in Austin,Texas in 1990 for $200.

It's in great shape except for some finish checking.

Are these still readily available??? I've heard the Midtown guitars have been discontinued. Bummer...right before my tax refund hit.

It's my understanding that the Midtown series is quite popular, and they only started making lefty Midtown basses in December, I doubt they'd have bothered if they were just gonna discontinue the line. But, it IS Gibson...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived