Gibson Brands Forums

When are saddle slots a problem?

Lee M

Changed strings on my 1993 Gospel today and took them all off at once, which I don't usually do. I noticed the strings have worn slots into the saddle. Is that a problem? Pulled the saddle out and saw there was a hole in each end of the saddle slot. I bought the guitar used in 1998 but it had no pickup in it and the standard plastic end pin plug so I don't think it ever had a UST in it. Can't imagine Gibson doing that at the factory but who knows.

saddle.png

I wouldn't think it would be a problem as long as it isn't pinching the strings. Is that a plastic saddle?? Those grooves look pretty deep in the first pic. I've never seen strings wear into bone that far but I would think it would be possible on a plastic saddle.

But, I could be wrong [thumbup]

The wear from the strings on the saddle is probably normal, as this can happen over time. Unless it is causing buzzing, I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes, people slot the saddle like this to lower the action, which is a mistake. If the action needs to be lowered, it should be done by sanding the bottom of the saddle, not notching the top.

I have seen several Gibson bridges that were drilled for a UST, even though none was ever installed. I own a guitar with one myself. It was almost certainly done at the factory, and doesn't affect anything, as far as I can tell.

I think you're speaking of two different things; string ramps and the saddle slot. The saddle slot is the slot in the bridge where the saddle actually sits. The holes in each end of the saddle slot will not pose a problem for you. They were obviously put there to accommodate a UST pickup. The one hole for the pickup lead and the other to slide the long end of the UST into so the pickup is centered under the strings properly.

The string ramps don't look worn, they look like they may have been enhanced a bit on purpose (especially the high e string where the saddle is so very low). String ramps increase the break angle of the strings over the saddle which increases and enhances tone. Sometimes string ramps are introduced into a non-slotted bridge when the saddle has been shaved so low as to lose tone due to shallow break angle.

They look fine to me. I wouldn't worry about it. Your saddle looks like it could use a bit of careful smooth sanding to get rid of the string divots though.

That saddle looks pretty low, have you checked your neck angle? You might be in neck reset territory.

As said by j45nick and drath, the 2 holes are innocent. But the grooves in the saddle are a bit to much.

Another issue around this topic would be the how tight the saddle is positioned in the slot. It should not bend forward as it mean lesser top-contact.

The codeword in this vital zone is mass. The logic is mass against mass against mass – saddle – bridge – bridge-pins and vibes passing through.

Well all in all MASS and combinations of mass is the thing.

That saddle looks pretty low, have you checked your neck angle? You might be in neck reset territory.

I think the neck angle is ok. A straight edge across the frets is in line with the top of the bridge. The 12th fret action at the low E is 3/32" so I don't anticipate ever needing it lower.

I think the neck angle is ok. A straight edge across the frets is in line with the top of the bridge. The 12th fret action at the low E is 3/32" so I don't anticipate ever needing it lower.

As already stated..the small holes at the edges of saddle slot in bridge are done at factory..in case you ever wanted to fit a UST pup. ( My 2011 HB TV have same holes )

I agree your neck angle is probably fine from your straight edge along neck lining up with top of bridge..i think photos of saddle are mis-leading as to actual height because of rounded edges of saddle.

Another way to check for neck angle is measure to bottom of low E string from body just infront of bridge. it should be about 1/2 inch

If below 3/8 then you have an issue

the grooves in the saddle look very pronounced and too conformed for the strings to have done it... IMO anyway.. maybe as Nick says..someone may have lowered the action this way..and as he says if it aint causing problem..don't worry about it.

EDIT

ooops meant 3/8 infront of bridge..now corrected

the grooves in the saddle look very pronounced and too conformed for the strings to have done it... IMO anyway.. maybe as Nick says..someone may have lowered the action this way..and as he says if it aint causing problem..don't worry about it.

I emailed the picture to Bob Colosi. In his opinion, the saddle grooves look like normal "wear and tear" for a 19 year old guitar. I guess I won't do anything about them now since they don't seem to be causing any problems. Thanks for all the replies.

Archived