Gibson Brands Forums

Need String Brand suggetion

jbowdenusa

Hey, Call me JD. I have played bass one and off for sometime. This has been mostly for personal enjoyment. I have been using a headphone amplifier, Vox Bass if anybody is interested. Never been quite up to Marshall Stack Ability. I have owned an old Gibby EB-0. Later a Richenbacker 4001, it sounded insanely good with the headphone amp. I have always had flat round strings on my basses. The EB-0 was used and flats were on it. The Rick came with them. Now I have recently purchased a Toby Deluxe IV after many years of inactivity. It feels so balanced and comfortable to hold and play. Only thing is it came with round wound strings. I play using my finger tips. The strings are rough and make that "squeeking" sound. They tend to dig into my fingers instead of sliding off of them. Can any of you seasoned players make a recommendation on a decent set of Medium Flat Wound Strings?? Thanks, JD

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of Rotosound. I've tried other brands over the years and they just don't feel right to me. I always go back to Rotosound.

I do like the round wounds for me, but on my fretless I have some flats and they sound great.

• 3 months later...

I've used DR High-Beam Flats to great success for several years. I also have a set of Thomastik-Infeld JF344 Flatwound Long Scale on one of my Jazz Basses. I used the Tomastik-Infeld's for 3-4 years before switching to DR High-Beams. They are more expensive than the DR's and I do not notice a difference in quality or sound.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

I will try some Earnie Ball on my bass next, I would recommend you to use

a product like dunlops 'fastfret' or whatever oily thing that won't harm you

and will reduce attrict and noise, will make your strings last longer, no

matter what kind it is...

I have no problems with wounded strings nor the 'noise', its kinda part of it IMHO.

Archived