Gibson Brands Forums

Burst Opinions Please

duluthdan

JC - the burst on your Custom Shop OJ is a very elegant look. [thumbup] I think this may be the direction. I am ordering a Custom Shop Southern Jumbo with a couple of tweaks, and think this may be just the look I'm after. I'm stealing yer picture. [biggrin]

As an SJ fan, I will be interested to see what your "tweaks" are........

SJ2.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an SJ fan, I will be interested to see what your "tweaks" are........

I'll be interested to see how they turn out too! Unless I stumble on a vintage OJ on the roadtrip I am going to force my son to take me on ! Custom Shop SJ will have this neck, for sure.

has Gibson put a patent/copyright on their burst finishes??

No but when Gibson devfeloped the ES-335 (which Ted McCarty claimed was Gibson's finest electric creation) it was decided the first ones would come with a burst because it was considered as much a trademark as their logo.

I'm partial to the SJ, that's why I bought one earlier this year. I was getting too many natural finishes and liked this finish. I really do not care for the Martin 'burst. I think all the Gibson 'burst look better than the Martins.

I adore the vintage sunburst finishes on Gibsons, nobody, and I mean nobody does it better ... but there is something mystic about the Hummingbird cherry burst. I mean its the only burst that really changes across the day and amount of sunlight, just superb.

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg

Some beautiful bursts there Dan. I'd be hard pushed to say no to any of them! I think I prefer the 'warmer' 'bigger' bursts than those that are predominantly black.

This is mine after cleaning/polishing recently...

IMG_0628.jpg

Dave, what model is this? Herringbone trim, MOP soundhole, Rectangle Bridge - looks sweet, I like that warmth too, but a bit smaller - trying to go for a subtle elegance black tie and tails appearance.

Dave, what model is this? Herringbone trim, MOP soundhole, Rectangle Bridge - looks sweet, I like that warmth too, but a bit smaller - trying to go for a subtle elegance black tie and tails appearance.

Dan, It's a J45 Custom (rosewood b&s with the vine inlay headstock). I think the soundhole is Abalone and the headstock inlay Abalone and MOP. Think it's a 2010 model - is there an easy way to verify that with the serial number etc? I've heard the guitar dater project isn't very reliable/accurate.

Used to be specced as Ebony bridge and fret but now Gibson have since changed to rosewood. Not sure where mine comes in.

Either way, I love it.

I really like the J45 TV and the OJ. They are dissimilar and similar at the same time -- kind of like two paintings made by the same artist when he was in two very different moods.

JC, what is this 70's SJ200 cherryburst of which you speak? I don't think I've seen that before.

Jannusguy: Spectacular look. Its sort of a "chocolate" burst? - looks great on the 200 with all the contrasting MOP on the bridge, and the white in the PG - not sure in my head how this look could be pulled off on a bit more plain SJ with a tortise PG. Love the diverse opinions, feels like herding cats, but I do appreciate the input from everyone, and the helpful pictures.

I like all the bursts showing-up in this thread. I would agree that I don't favor the bursts that are so dark that they are literally black. I don't dislike them. I'm a big Cash fan, but not a fan of black guitars. I like the mellow blend that Gibson does with the light and dark colors.

I was negotiating to buy that very 1952 J200 in your pictures. The seller and I could not come to terms but I saved the pics. When the opportunity to customize my J200 TV arose I sent them that pic and had them shoot the burst on mine exactly the same as the '52. I love it.

DSC01367.jpg

Yes..for me also this has got to be one of the best looking guitars i have ever seen.

Love it man

Thanks for the kind words. It was quite the opportunity to be able to specify how I wanted it to look and having the pics of the '52 at the time was serendipity. I have to say that I'm a bit surprised at how easily the "paint" ((?) on the pick guard designs is wearing away. I play with a fairly light touch and in spite of that I noticed the designs are rapidly losing their color. I'm thinking of laying in another guard as a back up for down the road. Seems to me they'd maybe seal the guard in some fashion to preserve the aesthetics. Doesn't diminish my enjoyment just seems curious.

Thanks for the kind words. It was quite the opportunity to be able to specify how I wanted it to look and having the pics of the '52 at the time was serendipity. I have to say that I'm a bit surprised at how easily the "paint" ((?) on the pick guard designs is wearing away. I play with a fairly light touch and in spite of that I noticed the designs are rapidly losing their color. I'm thinking of laying in another guard as a back up for down the road. Seems to me they'd maybe seal the guard in some fashion to preserve the aesthetics. Doesn't diminish my enjoyment just seems curious.

Its an amaing looking finish on the guitar, just an amazing looking guitar, period. And I do undertand about the desire to want to preserve the pickguard flower design. I think given how dark the overall finish is the 'lightness' of the guard with the flower pattern is necessary to make a contrast.

But take a look at my 10 year old J-150, almost all the paint has worn off, but given the natural finish it doesnt really bother me that much.

IMG_3756.jpg

Its an amaing looking finish on the guitar, just an amazing looking guitar, period. And I do undertand about the desire to want to preserve the pickguard flower design. I think given how dark the overall finish is the 'lightness' of the guard with the flower pattern is necessary to make a contrast.

But take a look at my 10 year old J-150, almost all the paint has worn off, but given the natural finish it doesnt really bother me that much.

IMG_3756.jpg

Mine's def headed in that direction but it's an indicator the guitar is being enjoyed!

Archived