Gibson Brands Forums

Relief measurement

brums

Best luthier I know just set my relief for my J50 at .006 and for my AJ at .004. He measures at the 5th fret. AJ is long scale if that matters. It is certainly individual to the guitar however. Both sound great ..... but several other adjustments were made so I can't tell the impact of just the relief adjustment. Neither buzz of course or I'd redo. Both play wonderfully.

12th fret. Tuned down 1/2 step, mine is .09+ on the Low E string, and .06+ on the High E. Compensated hybrid bone bridge.

Its staring to get dry out here, will probably give the truss rod 1/8 turn counterclockwise to give the neck a wee bit of relief - its starting to sound a little sloppy. It has low action.

You may ask why the saddle is shaped like that at the B and High E string, and I do not know - I gave it to my luthier and said "Here make this perfect" and he did. [biggrin]

J45Bridge_zpscaf8e69e.jpg

Never saw that one before, Dan. Mine does have the compensated saddle though and got a super setup and crack repair from my guy here in upstate NY. Can't put it down. He also turned me on to the Dunlop 80/20 Bronze 12's. My 'new' favorite. String du jour?

Never saw that one before, Dan. Mine does have the compensated saddle though and got a super setup and crack repair from my guy here in upstate NY. Can't put it down. He also turned me on to the Dunlop 80/20 Bronze 12's. My 'new' favorite. String du jour?

80/20 12s (mine are Curt Mangan) but I love 'em on this J-45. [thumbup] I have no idea why the saddle is shaped as it is. Played a good 10 minutes of my stuff for him, I have very little tactile sensation in my left hand, andhe gave it back to me like this - plays wonderfully for me - all finger stuff, keep losing picks into the soundhole. [crying]

Brums 1/14? You need to get you one of these.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Measuring_tools/String_Action_Gauge.html

Archived