Gibson Brands Forums

Lowered my Saddle..interesting discoveries

Del Nilppeznaf

My link

The actual bridge installation is in part 8 or 9, but the registration holes in the top are done fairly early on in the series, when the top is cut out on the CNC machine. I just happened to start with this video, and carried on through the rest. You should be able to get them all from this link.

I think JC posted these links last month.

Link doesn't work Nick..and for some reason avast security is giving the address a bad reputation..?

weird

I would definitely try that Em7. It could be THE reason why your Bird sounds less Birdy than you would like it to. I noticed not a small but a dramatic difference in tone.

As my Bird slowly opens up and finds itself, the volume increases and with that more nectar come a'dripping.

In fact we're fine glazed these days. Won't prevent me from trying - maybe a DGBE string return. Cheps -

As my Bird slowly opens up and finds itself, the volume increases and with that more nectar come a'dripping.

In fact we're fine glazed these days. Won't prevent me from trying - maybe a DGBE string return. Cheps -

Fine glazed?! Wash yer' hands!

Thanks for all replies and clearing up the writing on the bridge plate

Regarding the pins Merseybeat,

These pins are Bob Collosi bone, the correct size for Gibson. The original plastic pins also sit like this in the bridge...as do another set I tried. It seem my bridge pin holes are just a little wider than they used to be? It is not a problem though..

P9240095_zpsa62e0018.jpg

P9230091_zpsa726ffde.jpg

As you can see, the string ball ends are in correct position and the pins are doing there job.

P9240100_zps034fb66b.jpg

This is how they look from the back.

I would be interested to know if any other 2011 onward Gibson owners have the same slight tilt on their pins.

Just out of curiosity.

getting a bit like j45nick with the pin obsession

Lastly am VERY happy I decided to work on my saddle.

As stated in original post the saddle was not truly flat from the Gibson factory. I think they give some extra height for owners to work with once they know how they would like their guitar to be set up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think anyone playing my guitar or picking it up from a store and playing it before i had altered the saddle, would find it a very nice sounding instrument for its age. After getting to know her over these 8 or so months I feel I understand her more and know how she reacts, I've bonded with her.

I found sometimes she had the tone I was looking for and sometimes she seemed to lose it... the balance would shift.

Now I have found a real.. major improvement. I am a little weary of stating these kinds of observations when talking about tone/projection ect. Sometimes I think we may be fooling ourselves..or our ears play tricks... ( bone pins being one example.. I did notice a perceived change in tone and projection when I changed to bone... but I would probably not be able to tell in a sound recording between bone and plastic if I'm honest.. well maybe..haha )

But after a few days with worked on saddle...the change in balance and the even smooth tone is still quite remarkable. I have never had a pro set up of a quality guitar, and maybe I have got a little lucky with my set up and she is like a pro would have done it?

anyway... I'm a happy picker

Archived