Gibson Brands Forums

50th Anniversary '62 Sorrento and Sheraton Reissues

jonnyg

This year I added an Epi ES-335 Pro (block markers, coil taps) and a Gibson Custom Shop ES-330 '59 reissue to my stable, and swore that was it.

But a Sorrento in Royal Olive might be too much for me to pass up. I remember the color from the 60's and wold love to have that model in that color.

Something to look forward to in lucky '13!

• 5 weeks later...

THAT, is Really AWESOME!! I'm very envious! ;>)

I too, hope they'll offer the "Reissue" in "Cherry," and with "USA" mini's, and hardware/electronics. I wonder, too, if this will be a "European/Asian" only, edition??! God, I HOPE not! ;>b But, I guess Anderton's would probably get them, so I could order from them, I suppose.

CB

I too am beginning to wonder about the availability? Sweetwater has the two naturals available and that's all I have been able to find on any US websites, no other places are accepting backorders? I am not trying to be negative but the fact The Music Zoo has them on b/o means nothing more than they have them on order not that they will get them. I am sorry guys I am just frustrated having to hunt down new guitars that I would like to purchase.

I too am beginning to wonder about the availability? Sweetwater has the two naturals available and that's all I have been able to find on any US websites, no other places are accepting backorders? I am not trying to be negative but the fact The Music Zoo has them on b/o means nothing more than they have them on order not that they will get them. I am sorry guys I am just frustrated having to hunt down new guitars that I would like to purchase.

this place is supposed to be receiving a few before mid november:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-ETC2-LIST

no tax to CA and free shipping makes it more tempting than guitar center/musical friend. But I'm still holding off ordering until someone tries it out and verifies the quality isn't as **** as the ES-355

From the photos I've seen, the Sheraton does look pretty well done. Since I have an original, I'm in a position to compare some details.

The head looks very well done. It may be slightly shorter than the original, though. Three screws for the truss rod cover, instead of two... not sure why they did that.

The triangular (faux abalone?) fretboard inlay inserts look a little cheesy to me... maybe a little over the top with the color. I've seen more attractive and understated ones on some of the better quality Sheraton reissues from the past 15 years, I think.

The f-holes are a little bit clumsy (more open, not as finely cut).

The tremotone appears to be slightly modified from the original design. The set screw at the top crossbar was not there on the originals; and the large round piece (spring housing?) that rests on the top (directly below the screw for the handle) also was not on the originals.

These are nitpicky, I know, I'm just pointing these things out for whatever it might be worth.

Lots of vintage Sheraton pics here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=11411759#post11411759

Archived