Gibson Brands Forums

Pots on Les Paul

Mats A

I think it is a damned good question.

Ever sinse the PAF came out the standardized pot values have been 500k. Now, when it seems what most are wanting to do is either make the pickups more "vintage" correct be getting closer to the origonal spec, OR modify the spec to make things brighter and louder. Well, going from 500k to 300k is actually the reverse of both "philosophies".

Also, it seems to me that what limits the ability of a higher value pot is the pups (or circuits) abilty to handle higher values for whatever reason. You can always turd a 500k pot DOWN to 300k, but you can't turn a 300k pot UP to 500k.

So really: WHAT is the reason for it?

I think it is a damned good question.

Ever sinse the PAF came out the standardized pot values have been 500k. Now, when it seems what most are wanting to do is either make the pickups more "vintage" correct be getting closer to the origonal spec, OR modify the spec to make things brighter and louder. Well, going from 500k to 300k is actually the reverse of both "philosophies".

Also, it seems to me that what limits the ability of a higher value pot is the pups (or circuits) abilty to handle higher values for whatever reason. You can always turd a 500k pot DOWN to 300k, but you can't turn a 300k pot UP to 500k.

So really: WHAT is the reason for it?

You can always turd a 500k pot DOWN to 300k ? AH AH,from 300 to 500 you change the LOAD, hiking, and 'something else

You can always turd a 500k pot DOWN to 300k ? AH AH,from 300 to 500 you change the LOAD, hiking, and 'something else

500k represents the resistance to ground, or resistance to a dead short. The higher the resistance, the louder the signal. This is why pots with a higher RESISTANCE are louder than lower ones.

Archived