Gibson Brands Forums

Google Chrome tab help.

LarryUK

I've scoured the net to find my answer and can't find it.

So, I'll try here.

I have Google Chrome. The initial tab is set for Google search (an option in settings), but when I open a new tab it opens a blank screen and I then have to open search. Is there any way to make new tabs open in search?

While I'm here. I have a new laptop and I have the option to upgrade to Windows 8. Does/has anyone used it? Is it worth changing to?

I've scoured the net to find my answer and can't find it.

So, I'll try here.

I have Google Chrome. The initial tab is set for Google search (an option in settings), but when I open a new tab it opens a blank screen and I then have to open search. Is there any way to make new tabs open in search?

While I'm here. I have a new laptop and I have the option to upgrade to Windows 8. Does/has anyone used it? Is it worth changing to?

Is there a specific need for it to open on Google.com? You can just search from the omni bar (address bar). Just type in what you want to search for.

As far as Windows 8 is concerned, I can't stand it. It's not out yet, it comes out on October 26th, but I have used the release candidate and I find the new user interface to be quite appalling. However, that is strictly my opinion. Other than the new start screen, Windows 8 is just a refined and tweaked version of Windows 7.

Here is a full in depth review so you can decide for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cKlL8OO71I

You can choose what opens on new tabs but I forget how. I'll have a look and post again when I get home.

Yeah.. its in the settings somewhere

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95421

Set browser startup preferences

Do you start your day by checking your email or browsing a favorite website? If so, you should consider setting those sites as your startup pages. Startup pages open automatically every time you open the browser.

1.Click the icon on the browser toolbar.

2.Select Settings. If you’re using a Chrome device, click Show advanced settings at the bottom of the page.

3.In the “On startup” section, choose the options below: ◦Open a New Tab page: A New Tab page will open up when you first launch Chrome.

◦Continue where I left off: See pages that were open at the end of your last browsing session. Chrome will also restore your browsing data and session cookies. Session cookies are the information that websites can use to keep you logged into sites such as Gmail. This can save you time from logging into your favorite sites every time after you’ve restarted Chrome. However, it’s recommended that you log out of websites when you’re using a public or shared computer.

If you’d like Chrome to reopen all your pages but discard session cookies and other site data, go to Settings > Show advanced settings > Content settings > Keep local data only until I quit my browser.

◦Open a specific page or set of pages: Click Set pages and enter the web addresses of the pages you want to see.

Archived