Gibson Brands Forums

# of Models in a Custom Shop run

BTD

Is there any way to find our how may guitars are produced in each run of a model by year? I have a 2012 ES-359 with the ebony fret board. With the past ebony issues from 2011 (and 2009), I am wondering how many were actually made with 2012 serial numbers?

I know sometimes there are reports of the number made for limited runs, but wondering if there is something for more general runs through the custom shop.

Is there a reference page somewhere that carries this information or is it something that Gibson keeps as proprietary information.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I have a 2010 359 with an ebony FB. That's the spec, it's not a special item for that model.

AFAIK regular run production numbers are very hard to get from Gibson USA/Nashville - they don't normally give them out. I'm thinking Gibson Memphis is the same way.

Yes, I know all 359's have the ebony Fb. The real question stems from when I bought it a couple of months ago the only 2 new 359's I could find on the web were a 2011 with a sn of > 3500 and the 2012 I bought with a sn <100.

Since it is a custom shop item, I figure that the 11's were run at the end of 2011 and carried over to the beginning of 2012 (manufacture date on the COA is early January 2012). And with the ebony shortage, I am guessing that fewer were made in 2012 (with some rumors that '12 will be the last yr of the model-unless another material used for the Fb) than in past years.

Definitely no plans of selling it in the near future (maybe never), but wanted to know if it is potentially more collectible due to lower volumes produced.

Yes, I know all 359's have the ebony Fb. The real question stems from when I bought it a couple of months ago the only 2 new 359's I could find on the web were a 2011 with a sn of > 3500 and the 2012 I bought with a sn <100.

Since it is a custom shop item, I figure that the 11's were run at the end of 2011 and carried over to the beginning of 2012 (manufacture date on the COA is early January 2012). And with the ebony shortage, I am guessing that fewer were made in 2012 (with some rumors that '12 will be the last yr of the model-unless another material used for the Fb) than in past years.

Definitely no plans of selling it in the near future (maybe never), but wanted to know if it is potentially more collectible due to lower volumes produced.

Archived