Gibson Brands Forums

Green Day lead singer smashes guitar on stage in Vegas

Rabs

temper temper :P NOW WITH VIDEO :)

(so thats what you do with your new signature guiatr :P)

(I didnt post it fully cos he uses the f****ing F word alot)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19693176

Green Day ended their set at a festival in Las Vegas yesterday with a dramatic outburst, after a sign appeared saying they had one minute left to perform.

When lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong saw the digital notice flash up he abandoned the performance of their hit Basket Case before starting an angry rant.

Green Day were playing on the first day of the iHeartRadio Festival.

Other artists who played that day included Usher and Swedish House Mafia.

Rihanna was scheduled to close the first night of the two-day festival with Calvin Harris, Ne-Yo, Taylor Swift and Pitbull all on the line-up for the second day.

One minute left

It's reported Green Day, who have sold 65 million records worldwide, had their set time cut from 45 minutes to 25, though festival organisers deny this.

Billie Joe swore repeatedly, calling the situation a joke. He said "one minute left" again and again.

The singer told the crowd he wasn't Justin Bieber and that he had been around since 1988.

He finally hurled his guitar against the stage floor, then stormed off saying "we'll be back".

Shortly afterwards Justin Bieber posted a video of Green Day on Twitter.

The iHeartradio's festival's twitter account posted pictures of Billie Joe smashing his guitar on the stage.

A spokesperson for the festival told Newsbeat that Green Day's set wasn't cut short and after his set Billie Joe was "pumped and laughing backstage.

"He was putting on a show. That's what punk rock is all about and the fans loved it".

The punk rock trio had posted on their website beforehand that they were 'ready to blow the roof off' at the festival

I would have been pissed, too. Giving Green Day's time to Usher? Who screwed up the schedule so bad that they had to cut an act short? Why didn't the concert just go on a little longer, like any festival type concert I've ever been to that had scheduling problems? And finally, wht didn't they have a buffer so things like this wouldn't happen.

When I did our local Relay for Life we left a half hour buffer late in the afternoon so we could get back on schedule if we needed it. If everything went perfectly we were ready to have an acoustic act or a comedian that could fill in whatever portion of that half hour was necessary. If I were Green Days management there would be some serious tails being chewed.

Just to quell the inevitable argument of "They got paid, didn't they?". When you play a festival-type function exposure is as much a commodity as the dollars. The venue basically decided to pay them half of that commodity without mutual consent.

Two sides of the coin here for me.

I would have been pissed too, but BJA just acted like an idiot.

Taking it out on a guitar? Seriously? Well, that guitar is probably nothing to them as Gibson probably just hands them out to him like party favors.

He just keeps proving the world he's a not-so-punk a$$hole.

Two sides of the coin here for me.

I would have been pissed too, but BJA just acted like an idiot.

Taking it out on a guitar? Seriously? Well, that guitar is probably nothing to them as Gibson probably just hands them out to him like party favors.

He just keeps proving the world he's a not-so-punk a$$hole.

No question, he handled it poorly. But the bottom line is, it never should have happened. I never would have wrecked a guitar, but I would have had a hard time keeping my mouth shut. And I've always know he's "not-so-punk", so that's was no big surprise.

No question, he handled it poorly. But the bottom line is, it never should have happened. I never would have wrecked a guitar, but I would have had a hard time keeping my mouth shut. And I've always know he's "not-so-punk", so that's was no big surprise.

It's funny cause' he thinks he's punk.

He's pure poser all the way. I haven't found anything about him or his music to be genuine at all.

One thing I noticed was that his Gibson sure was tough. It took him like 6 whacks to break that thing, or maybe it was his spagetti arms and mascara running into his eyes. Calm down Billy. Gotta make room for bigger better acts........Like Usher [lol]

He should have sat it on the guitar stand and tipped it over. The guitar would have been in pieces.

It's funny cause' he thinks he's punk.

He's pure poser all the way. I haven't found anything about him or his music to be genuine at all.

I have to agree! Since the first time I heard them on MTV I thought, "Oh Great! The industry is taking 'Punk' mainstream! Now we'll be finding ripped jeans and black jackets with safety pins at Clothstime!" [scared]

Yep, I caught it in the news today -

Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong is headed to rehab.

Armstrong will be treated for substance abuse, according to a statement from the band released Sunday. The announcement comes just two days after the singer had an on-stage meltdown at iHeart Radio Music Festival at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas--and two days before the Grammy winning rock band's next album, "Uno," is scheduled to be released.

Rest of the article - http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/billie-joe-armstrong-rehab-meltdown-205811862.html

I always was kind of ambivalent about Green Day,B.J. and their music but recently that has changed since I heard the fabulous song "21 Guns" and read an article about Billie Joe and the band in the November issue of Guitar World.As long as it wasn't his lovely old '59 Les Paul Jr. and just a new guitar I don't mind about him giving it a fling,not like that spoiled hillbilly twit from the Kings of Leon who smashed a very rare 50's Gibson hollowbody and doing it again in a hissy-fit days after a expert luthier took great pains to get it back to almost original condition.

Guest Farnsbarns

Green Day sucks. BJ is in rehab for drugs now. I hope he ODs, little prick. He was acting like he was better than Usher. Usher has a very nice voice.

Wow. You don't like his music, persona or views so you wish him an unpleasant, untimely death?

I'm not a fan but that seems more than a little immature.

I think is funny that a lot of folks consider him a poser, isn't that a big factor to Punk Rock?

I don't get why say, the Ramones are a more respected Punk band, because of Blitzkrieg Bop? or I Wanna Be Sedated? are those songs so bad ***? Sheena is a Punk Rocker perhaps?

To me if Green Day sucks then so do about 90% of Punk bands, kiddos you want Punk? listen to Minor Threat or something along those lines.

Oh and a shout out to Fender..Mike Dirnt's bass split open and the body joint, yep, he got a 2-piece body bass from Fender, you'd think they give him a custom shop bass or something, unless this whole thing was planned for the new reecord release.

.....unless this whole thing was planned for the new reecord release.....

This is cut'n'pasted from the link in BK's reply;

"Is it possible no one in management bothered to tell Green Day ahead of time they had a half-hour slot, just like (almost) every other headliner on the bill?" Chris Willman wondered on Yahoo's Maximum Performance blog. "Not likely. Is it possible Armstrong knew this was good theater and bound to get them into the news cycle three days before the release of their long-awaited new album? Who could be so cynical!"

Before I read this excerpt I was tempted to make reference to 'American Idiot' but perhaps I was just being too naiive......

P.

Someone should have taken him outside and smashed his teeth out. I hate that sort of attitude. I'll offer to do it. Send him to me and I'll smash him to a pulp, the ungrateful little s**t! He'd have known how long he'd got before he went on stage. But he'll no doubt gain from it. Just like that stupid Liam Gallagher after all his rants. I was so pleased when those Russians knocked his teeth out in the hotel. It's a pity they didn't finish the job properly

Someone should have taken him outside and smashed his teeth out. I hate that sort of attitude. I'll offer to do it. Send him to me and I'll smash him to a pulp, the ungrateful little s**t! He'd have known how long he'd got before he went on stage. But he'll no doubt gain from it. Just like that stupid Liam Gallagher after all his rants. I was so pleased when those Russians knocked his teeth out in the hotel. It's a pity they didn't finish the job properly

Dude you are always so angry, are you sure you are not American?

How do you know he would not kick your ***?

I've always heard that you kinda know when your an alcoholic or addict because your life starts to unravel and you sink to very low points in your career, etc. Isn't BJA riding higher than ever at this point? This rehab thing is a publicist stunt.

Yea, they are working on 3 albums to be released within a year (i think) one tomorrow and two more for in the next months, I have the Guitar World magazine with BJA on the cover but have not read it yet.

Green Day is having the best time in their career with better more consistent songs and albums but it seems a lot of folks like them better when they played sh!t like When I Come Around. beats me, I prefer they're current music output.

Archived