Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bknow77

2007 les paul studio

i just bought a 2007 les paul studio, 017770517 is the serial number, im having doubts if its real or not, the truss rod has the nut on it, the cavities arent painted, the headboard angle seems right, but the potenziometer cavity has some sloppy wiring and the words neck and bridge have been written on them (in italian)

here are the picture http://www.freefilehosting.net/nuovowinrararchive_1 i hope someone can help me...is there a surefire way to understand if i have a fake or not? thanks for your help

Welcome

Your link doesn't go to a photo, it goes to a zip file.

Use a free host like Photobucket, upload your pics there and then copy the "Direct link" into the "Insert image" tool in the post editor here.

Pic posting help - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

You've got two pics, both of the control cavity. Looks like it's a Gibson control plate that's been modded, but the ridges on the cavity sides are a bit of red flag - usually the sides are a bit smoother. The members here can help with confirming the guitar is a genuine Gibson, but we'll need to have a pic of the whole guitar. A straight overhead shot of the whole front side (body, neck and headstock), no angles, nothing cut off, good lighting. Also shots of the front and back of the headstock are helpful. Here's your control cavity pic -

2012-09-24141027_zps8ed3ab7e.jpg

As I mentioned, looks like a Gibson control plate that was modded - possibly components swapped out and rewired. Here's a 2008 LP Trad with no mods -

PICT0135.jpg

Good job on the photos.

I check several items when looking for fakes, and your guitar looks like a genuine Gibson LP Studio to me - maybe a Vintage Mahogany Studio - and well taken care of. Gibson USA went to 9 digit serial numbers in 2006 so the serial number looks legit. There will probably be another member or two that will post an opinion on it. If you want further confirmation email service@gibson.com with the serial number and ask them to tell you the model, hardware and finish that guitar left the factory with.

Somewhere along the line, someone probably modded the electronics/wiring.

If it plays and sounds good, it would be a keeper to me. Nice looking Studio.

youve been very very helpful, and since im already taking advantage of your kindness, im going all in, i cant seem to understand what pickups i have mounted...no serials no codes or models, it just has gibson usa engraved on them, the ex owner put labels on them that read; super manico (super neck) and super ponte (im sure you can guess what it means...right super bridge) i will post pics when i take them out again... based on my research they should be 490s or 498s thanks again for all your help

Standard HB's are (Were) 490 and 498. I have the same in my 2002 LP Special and I like them a LOT!!! Very similar to the PAF's, in my opinion. Looks like someone rewired that cavity, but I agree is is a REAL Gibson Studio...and a good looking one at that!

enjoy it.

mark

Hello! Real for sure! Depending on the year of production they came with either Burstbuckers, or the 490/498 combination. Cheers... Bence

Most likely 490/498. As I mentioned - if you email Gibson at service@gibson.com with the serial, they most likely can tell you what the factory pups were. The turn around time is generally about 24-36 hours or less.

The headstock serial - 017770517 - Gibson's records are pretty good, not sure they'll have the pups recorded, but since it's a recent guitar they can probably figure it out.

The '07 mahogany faded studio LP came stock with burstbuckers.

I seem to remember they did this as well.

faded/worn Mahogany's with Burstbuckers, the studio's with maple tops with 490/498, that's what was on many guitar web sites as spec's but you just never know what was grabbed off the pile

That studio is real. I used to own one just like it. Pre 07's came with 498 combo however doesn't mean it's pre 07. Gibson sometimes puts different pickups in because they don't have the speced pickups in stock. Can't stop production if you have other tools to work with.

Looks like someone modified the cavity. Not sure why.

still trying to find out more about this lp, i contacted gibson and they returned me the specs of that year's studio with that serial number , the pickups seem to match, for they have nothing writtem on them but only gibson usa engraved, but it says maple cap, and mine should ne a mahogany, judging by the color, it isnt light in color but towards the body color but a few shades lighter, and also they listed a ebony fingerboard, ive never seen an ebony one but this looks rosewood...i dont know

LPStudio_specs_zps736a1ec1.jpg

Hi guys, I have also have a 2007 Studio which looks exactly the same as the one in this thread. I wrote to Gibson requesting details and here is their reply;

"Hi,

Thanks for the email, and congrats on your new guitar!! The serial number is consistent with a Les Paul Studio Faded model in Worn Cherry finish , made on the 26th day 9th month of 2007 in Nashville, TN. Here is a link with more information on the model, Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Studio Satin . Note your guitar would have a Mahogany top and Rosewood fingerboard(it is listed as Maple top and Baked Maple fingerboard at the link). Thanks again

Jon Sutherland"

Hope it helps clarify a few things,,,,

post-47724-024627400 1350297143_thumb.jpg