Gibson Brands Forums

My dog is afraid of my amp...

burdger

burdger

Have you stopped to consider that you are in fact damaging your dogs hearing, and likely causing considerable physical pain? It's no secret that dogs have extremely sensitive hearing, some more than others. If the dog runs away as far as possible, then shakes uncontrollably, it's gotta be REALLY bad, and that should be a serious wake up call that you are indeed causing physical harm, and possible irreparable damage to your dogs hearing.

You mentioned that you're trying to manipulate your dog into accepting it's evident torture by giving it cheese treats? How about if someone tortured you by sticking 6 inch needles in your ears, but made it somehow painfully bearable by giving you your favorite treat? Not such a great idea, is it?

Anyway, I hope for the dogs well being, you make the right decision.

Dogs do have the ability to hear things humans can't, but the amp should NOT be producing frequencies that we can't hear. If it is, there is something wrong with the amp and it problably wouldn't sound right or it would not last too long either.

Chances of a guitar amp causing pain to a dog is very slim.

When I was a kid we had a dalmatian that was terribly frightened of thunder, or fireworks. -Any loud boom, he'd go hide under a bed or a table, or stick his head under the couch...lol. My dad was talking to one of his friends that had a few hunting dogs about it, and based on how he reacted to loud stuff, he figured that our dog was maybe 'gun shy'. Our dog's reaction wasn't caused by the loudness of the booms, but rather how he felt the sound.

Ok, here is the remedy, it's kinda weird, but it worked. My dad's friend instructed us to put a tight t-shirt on him the next time there was a thunderstorm, and see how he reacted. Getting the shirt on was a pain in the neck, but after a couple storms, he was ok, and wasn't afraid of loud things anymore. I don't know how it cured him, but our dog didn't freak out when loud stuff like fireworks or thunderstorms happened. Maybe you can try that with your dog next time you play some guitar.

Guest Farnsbarns

When I was a kid we had a dalmatian that was terribly frightened of thunder, or fireworks. -Any loud boom, he'd go hide under a bed or a table, or stick his head under the couch...lol. My dad was talking to one of his friends that had a few hunting dogs about it, and based on how he reacted to loud stuff, he figured that our dog was maybe 'gun shy'. Our dog's reaction wasn't caused by the loudness of the booms, but rather how he felt the sound.

Ok, here is the remedy, it's kinda weird, but it worked. My dad's friend instructed us to put a tight t-shirt on him the next time there was a thunderstorm, and see how he reacted. Getting the shirt on was a pain in the neck, but after a couple storms, he was ok, and wasn't afraid of loud things anymore. I don't know how it cured him, but our dog didn't freak out when loud stuff like fireworks or thunderstorms happened. Maybe you can try that with your dog next time you play some guitar.

Funny you should say that. There is product on the market now which is basically just that. I do some work for a pet superstore type place that suggested we try one out as our May suffers with terrible separation anxiety and that was listed as problem it could solve. It had a money back guarantee and to be fair to them they honoured it despite the fact that May had removed it and torn it to shreds after being left alone for half an hour, tearing things to shreds was the simptom we were looking to resolve. Didn't work for her but I hear good things about them.

That's a really cool concept, but my dog doesn't react poorly to all loud noises. Actually, during really bad thunder storms, my dog doesn't even react at all. It's like he doesn't even notice the thunder at all. I may look into the product the other person mentioned after you though, just in case.

Guest Farnsbarns

If anyone is keeping up with this thread, tonight he sat and watched me play for a while after the first treat.

I'm following it. Glad it seems to be working. It's all about association.

One of my dogs is scared of my Marshall/Orange combo. He doesn't mind the Vox or any previous amps. I don't know if it's because the Marshall gets played louder or if it's emitting different frequencies I can't hear, but I suspect the latter because I have had the Vox up pretty loud and he didn't care.

Surely your dog will get used to it if you start off quiet and gradually get louder over a few weeks or months. That's my plan anyway. I like the treat suggestion, too. My dogs are very susceptible to bribery.

Archived