Gibson Brands Forums

What do you have that has sentimental value to you?

FenderGuy1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I never had one! [wink]

I never had one either. All the kids on the block had them except for me. I had to "settle with" an XT. While they had all kinds of fancy games, nothing was available for XTs like that. So I've "wasted my time" on learning BASIC, FORTRAN and Assembly. Then, when my Dad upgraged it for an AT, I've learned how to program in structured C. I guess I had a very sorrow childhood. Cheers... Bence

Very few items.

My father's gold wristwatch which was given to him by my mother at their wedding as the counterpart to her receiving the wedding band.

His high school Dux medal and his WWII medals (tank corps).

The 1890's Neapolitan mandolin my parents bought when I was about 5 (which is being played by my daughter in the avatar).

And, of course, my collection of twenty three, unused, 'Mint and Boxed' Commodore C-64s complete with all hang-tags.

P.

I never had one either. All the kids on the block had them except for me. I had to "settle with" an XT. While they had all kinds of fancy games, nothing was available for XTs like that. So I've "wasted my time" on learning BASIC, FORTRAN and Assembly. Then, when my Dad upgraged it for an AT, I've learned how to program in structured C. I guess I had a very sorrow childhood. Cheers... Bence

I'm a child of the late 60s/early 70s.

That stuff didn't exist, so we were left to do things like play guitar, what a world we lived in huh kids [biggrin]

Edited: just saw Pippy's reply - last sentence.. - what a hoot!

I'm a very sentimental person and keep a lot of stuff I probably shouldn't.

But at the top of my list would be my 1977 Five-piece set of Ludwigs, with Zildjians.

I've had them since I was 15. Parents bought them new for me for Christmas.

They've been through so much, and yet they still play great and look good.

038-1.jpg

I'm a very sentimental person and keep a lot of stuff I probably shouldn't.

But at the top of my list would be my 1977 Five-piece set of Ludwigs, with Zildjians.

I've had them since I was 15. Parents bought them new for me for Christmas.

They've been through so much, and yet they still play great and look good.

038-1.jpg

Dang, that butcher block finish is killer.

But your floor tom is missing a resonator head ;)

Dang, that butcher block finish is killer.

But your floor tom is missing a resonator head ;)

Thanks a lot! Some folks don't like that particular finish, but I always was fond of it.

And yes, the only thing missing is the rim for that resonator head.

Somehow, I lost it, through the years. The only casualty. :)

Thanks a lot! Some folks don't like that particular finish, but I always was fond of it.

I am a big Rogers drum fan and one of their famous finishes was butcher block.

Some day I'll take pictures of my kit and post them. It's a five piece Rogers Holiday kit in red sparkle flake. I think its an early seventies since the toms and kick were made in California. The matching snare is a powertone made in Ohio. Man, that snare is the made notes. I put an

Evans Genera Dry vented head on her and it is the sweetest brown sound tones.

I have my mom's 1956 Gibson ES-125. She got it as a girl and taught me to play on it.

And I have my dad's old baseball glove. It's a 'Curt Simmons' model (who pitched for the Phillies and Cardinals in the 1950's and 1960's.) Its the glove my dad used when I was a kid and he and I played catch.

Very few items.

My father's gold wristwatch which was given to him by my mother at their wedding as the counterpart to her receiving the wedding band.

His high school Dux medal and his WWII medals (tank corps).

The 1890's Neapolitan mandolin my parents bought when I was about 5 (which is being played by my daughter in the avatar).

And, of course, my collection of twenty three, unused, 'Mint and Boxed' Commodore C-64s complete with all hang-tags.

P.

OMG *stuttere* WANT!!! THOSE!!! C64'S!!!

my 2011 American Deluxe Strat my wife got me last year for christmas

my SG Special, paid for with money I received from my father's will - feels like a huge insult to sell a guitar that was bought with money you received because someone who loved you has passed on.

My Dad's paintings and wood carvings - especially his self portrait and the chess set he carved by hand and taught my brother and I how to play chess on.

A print of one I was given by my stepmother of my favorite painting he did - the original was no longer in family possession because it was a commissioned work. The print was hand signed by my father before he passed away...I have this painting tattoo'd on my right shoulder in his memory...that's how much I thought of it.

It's funny how the answer to this question can change as you age. twenty years ago I would have listed Rolex watches and expensive cars and boats but as I got older hell that just money in different forms and easy to replace. I have a Colt 45 auto that was made in 1917 that my grandfather carried it in WW2 My dad in Korea and then I had my chance. It was still in a holster on my side as a off duty pistol when I went down on my motorcycle after a drunk plowed into me at a red light many years later. It needed new grips and lost a little bit of it's skin just like I did but still work's just as well as in did in 1917 and still spends a lot of it's time stuck inside my belt in a concealed carry holster. It saved my life at least twice and my dad's at least once so it's something I'd grab for sure if the house was on fire. I also own another 45 and the gold detective badge from my best friend and partner that his wife handed me at the gravesite when we buried him.

I also have a one ounce gold nugget my grandfather gave me on my 16 birthday about 5 minutes after I had been kicked out of the house for good. My dad had given me the keys to an almost new truck and my grandfather took the key's and attached the gold nugget, He said your too young to be on your own but this is worth damn near 200 dollars so if you ever get in real trouble you can hock it and get a bus ticket back to my house from almost anywhere you might end up. It got close a few times but I never had to hock it and it's still on my keychain even if it is worth a bit over the 178 dollars it was worth then! But it was worth a lot more than money to know somebody cared if I could get home or not. funny that gold nugget and that 45 were both in my duffle bag that day maybe that's why I cherish them both there all that's really left of my childhood.

Years later when my grandfather died I got all his tools he was a dentist that made artificial teeth so there basically jewelry tools and I still use them every day and It put's a smile on my face every time I see his initials engraved into the handles.

And my wedding band a simple band of gold that was all we could afford as kids getting married but it's still the only piece of jewlerey that means anything to me, hell I could make anything else now but that simple band will always be the one I cherish because I was lucky enough to find and marry my soulmate when I was 20 and she had just turned 18.

As for guitars hell probably a L6-S's that was one of my first electrics in 1976 but most guitars are just things easy to replace.

The family Bible I received after my mother died in 1990 and a 1930 Ford Model A after my father died in 2001. A bottle cap my nephew gave me 16yrs ago after we shared a drink, he was 6 and said it was a treasure and for me to keep it. He's 21 now & in college. I agree with Retro, as we get older and hopefully a little more mature, what was important, isn't and what we carry inside our hearts over time becomes invaluable. My wife of 28yrs saying "I love you", her cold feet against mine in bed, the laughter of the kids, THAT'S what has value to me. I've got 11 guitars and 10 amps and all of them together don't have the value of that bottle cap, or her smile. Stuff is stuff and they make more every day.

TC

I have a cassette tape interview of my grandfather talking about growing up in the '20s, plenty of great stories recorded way back for a school heritage project. My favorite is the one where him and his siblings found a single football (their Christmas gift for the year) in their parent's closet, played with it day after day before carefully re-wrapping it every night and then acted surprised on Christmas morning. Really gives a glimpse of the generation gap and growing up during and after the Depression, they were thrilled to get that single football to share and today brats cry if they unwrap a new iPad and it's the wrong color :rolleyes:

It's sentimental because it's a permanent memory of my grandfather. He's pushing almost 84 and thankfully still in good health, in the future when the time comes that tape will be a great memory of a great man. My brother and I were lucky enough to grow up with all four grandparents and we are still close to the remaining 3, they are a constant source of inspiration, life lessons and good advice. My grandma on the other side of the family is now into the mid-stage of Alzheimer's and I'd like to record the same kind of tape with her before her long term memory completely disappears.

I also have three bullet shells from the military honors at my other grandfather's funeral, it was my first experience with losing someone close to me and I'll hang onto them for as long as I can. He was another great man and there's plenty of memories with him I'll never forget.

And the third would be what my dad gave us for Christmas a couple years ago. From before my brother was born (1988) til just a few years ago, he always had the video camera out on birthdays, holidays, sometimes just randomly. Little did we know he was stockpiling all this footage at his studio, and on my 18th and my brother's 23rd Christmas he gave us each a box containing our entire childhoods on film. Pretty amazing stuff, they're almost hard to watch because they bring back an overwhelming amount of memories and you see how everything changed between 1988-2006. Having them kinda helped bring on that transition where you realize what really matters in your life besides the material things.

Hey Brad 1,I love your Luds,I believe that your particular set is called the Big Beats.My buddy who I've been in several bands with since I was 15 has the same set but the finish is Walnut-his are from around the same era too.Ludwigs were the Rolls Royce of drums back then and you'd never see a set of them made in China like the beginner sets are these days.

BTW my buddy has Zildijan cymbals too,even though Ludwig markets Paiste cymbals.

Archived