Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
viking sound coop

Boiling STrings for LOnger play life.

I worked with a bass player that said he boiled his strings in alcohol. I never quite understood the concept...let alone why you would do such a thing. This was in the mid 70s and we are talking Roto-sounds on a Rickenbacker. Can you say Chris Squire wanna-be??

Even though I use "boutique" strings on my guitars ($20/set - archtops, $10/set - solids and semis), I wouldn't take the time and effort to do this.... and I'm as big a cheapskate as you will ever meet!

This hardly seems like it is worth the effort.

I recently swytched to Ernie Ball Cobalts and they last at least twice as long as their regulat strings. They keep their brightness and tunability extremeny well. I wipe down the strings when I am finished playing with a thing called The String Cleaner and that's it.

When I was a teenager I used to do this to my Bass Strings, just to squeeze a little more life out of them... it sort of worked! They recovered some of their brightness for a short time, but not as long as new and they ended up feeling a sticky and a bit weird! tbh unless you are a broke bassist, I wouldn't recommend it!

I take mine off every other day, boil them and reinstall them.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................... What a difference!!!

Talk about resurrecting the dead.

oops sorry, that would be Easter.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

My apologizes, I have R.D.S. (Reality Deficit Syndrome)

I just don't get it!

Willy

Once they are off, it's a real hassle to reinstall them. [thumbdn]

This story reminded me of a friend of mine who got a beaten-up piano from me. He is a real tinkerer, so He decided to restore it on His own. When He got ready with the finish - not being a musician - came to me asking where to get strings, how much they cost, how to install them, etc. I've answered His questions, and He said: oh no, that's too expensive, what if He just installs simple steel wires from a metalware shop... [biggrin]

Cheers... Bence