Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help, pls. w/ Casette Recorder Purchase

Dennis D near Milwaukee

I know I'm dating myself but - - I would like another cassette recorder w/ built-in mic. I'm back taking lessons again, and found this repeat playing still works best for me. Now we have YouTube, so I'd be recording to the built in mic, and playing along. Don't need studio quality -- just decent low level replay quality for electric guitar accompaniment. I used to own a Sony or two back in the day, but they've disappeared. Is there a new brand name to check out or what ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks from an old guy - you know, over sixty !

Dennis

I feel your pain ! Reel-to Reel is hard to beat. The computer you have probably has a built in mic, and probably has a simple recording program, but its not as simple as just pushing a couple of buttons to record, and then a rewind switch to playback. I'd ask around to your acquaintences, somewhere, someone has a cassette machine that's just passing time in a box in the corner. At some point though, old farts like you and I need to learn how to use looper pedals, Garage Band, and (shudder) Pro Tools. [scared]

I know this question is about cassette recorders....., but even I have entered the digital world of portable, built-in mic recorders.

I recently purchased a Tascam DR-05 for similar purposes (recording rehearsals, gigs, etc), and am amazed at the sound quality and ease of use.

The Marantz Pd-whatever is still sold but I strongly suggest staying away from that undependable poor sounding expensive piece of garbage.

The Sony Professional Walkman WM-DC6 I think was model ,was portable & sounded excellent in recording..you needed a seperate little mic..headphones..DC plug. Recording would not disappoint.

They can be found on ebay..but they will sell for between $200 but closer to $300 (which is what they used to cost new). Serial #'s lower than 261,000 (Im not sure of this number though) were prone to failure due to a flaw so later version is the one to get.

We had about 5 of these..I sold 2 early this year on ebay..one was like new other would not rewind..sold $315. In Europe they sell for more.

The portable digital things with built in mic is an alternative that I would but havent tried.

In a larger package a Cassette Recorder by Studer Revox would probably be the best Cassette players ever made..& built to last...again this would be used.

Archived