Gibson Brands Forums

SG with input on the side?

SGJ

My 1979 'the SG' has the socket on the side also. I don't think there is any disadvantage at all, In fact I would say it's a definite advantage because the cable is well out of the way. The model that replaced mine (firebrand SG) also had the same socket position. Maybe it's not so rare, but it's not common either.

Given the thickness (thiness) of the body and the diameter of the hole needed for the jack' date=' isn't the wood there now quite thin and liable to severe damage?[/quote']

I dont think Ive known of one to have that problem. Its actually a better place to put it with a lower chance of JackWack where the input gets wacked against something and screws up the jack and the wood. IMVHO

My 1979 'the SG' has the socket on the side also. I don't think there is any disadvantage at all' date=' In fact I would say it's a definite advantage because the cable is well out of the way[/quote']

I've read some reviews of people that say the "normal" positioning of the SGs' jack is awful. Most say the jack broke the wood and they had to have that thing repaired.

I have seen a couple of them with that problem but they belonged to people that didn't treat them right and with care tho...

I also have a '79 "THE SG", Walnut with the jack where it belongs.

Had to play it last night in a bar in Paducah Ky in fact. It was sitting there as a backup for my ES-339 in case I broke a string, and an old picker spotted it about the second set and ragged me all night to play it. I finally grabbed it about 2 songs from the end of the show and, DAMN.....

Those are some hot pickups in that badboy, I had to turn the amp down. I'd forgotten just how hot those ceremics were.

Velvet Brick.

Perfect name for a pickup.

Murph.

I also have a '79 "THE SG"' date=' Walnut with the jack where it belongs.

Had to play it last night in a bar in Paducah Ky in fact. It was sitting there as a backup for my ES-339 in case I broke a string, and an old picker spotted it about the second set and ragged me all night to play it. I finally grabbed it about 2 songs from the end of the show and, DAMN.....

Those are some hot pickups in that badboy, I had to turn the amp down. I'd forgotten just how hot those ceremics were.

Velvet Brick.

Perfect name for a pickup.

Murph.[/quote']

The brick has a very unique awesome sound to it. I just cant figure out why it wasnt alot more popular in the day. My boy has a sweet 80 firebrand mahog and he loves it.

Here is a couple of pictures of the side mounted socket. It looks a very solid location. I could never resist altering the wiring on my guitars, so I had coil taps and series/parallel switches on a plate round the back.

IMG_9041copy640x480.jpg

IMG_9042640x480.jpg

IMG_9044640x480.jpg

Looks like the body is damaged, but it's just masking tape.

I ended up buying the guitar, but its in another city. My brother will be bringing it down to me around christmas. I just found out the pickups have been replaced. I should have asked that, so its a bit of a mystery as to what I actually bought. Hopefully they're still gibson pickups, otherwise I'll have to replace them.

Archived