Gibson Brands Forums

LP Standard 2008 Fault of Feature?

Le-BenZ

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a LP Standard 2008 since June this year and I'm really loving my guitar!

Playing around with the toggle switch I noticed a difference in the behavior of the two volume knobs.

If the toggle is in the middle position, both humbuckers are activated. I set both volume knobs to 10 so both hb give their maximum output. Now if I turn the neck hb volume to 0 the bridge hb still gives full power. If I turn this setting around (bridge hb to 0 and neck hb to 10) all sounds are silenced. So even the neck hb gives no sound what so ever.

If I activate only the neck hb with the toggle in "up" position I'm not able to totally silence the hb output. E.a. it seems I can't turn the volume knob far enough. Although the positions and markers on both volume knobs are exactly equal. There is still a very low noise coming from my amp with the volume knob at 0.

Only using the bridge hb with toggle in "down" position the sound can be silenced 100% if I turn the volume knob to 0.

I wonder, is this a fault or a feature?

sounds like a faulty switch

With the toggle down, the volume for the bridge is the lower front (when looking down from playing) 0 quite, 10 loud.

same goes for the neck pickup, toggle up -volume for that is top front.

now with the toggle in the middle both volumes interact with each other, turn either of the volumes to 0 and get no sound (ie: you can blend up or down the two pickups together)

if you're not able to turn the volume to 0 at any time on either pickup you have an issue; either with the pot's or the switch.

You better try some isolation and then bring it into the shop for a repair

Guest Farnsbarns

It's a faulty pot, not the switch. My reasoning...

With the switch in the middle all output should be stopped if either pot is at 0, this is because the pot is between the pup and ground and acts as a resister to stop signal going to ground. At 0 there is no resistance between the signal and ground so all of the signal goes to ground. One of your pots is not going down to zero resistance, hence there is always some signal.

The switch only connects one pup, the other, or both and it is doing that.

Logic dictates that whichever pot it is which wont go to 0 is at fault. I'd stake my life on it.

Guest Farnsbarns

Quite a wager considering it's probably only a bad connection of the grounding lug of the pot in question.

Doubt it personally. More likely dirt in the pot.

Point being it ain't the switch but is the pot.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your answers! One thing you do agree on: it's a fault not a feature. I'll do some more research myself and than bring it in for a repair. I guess, owning it for only 4 months, still gives me warranty on faulty parts.

Thanks again!

It's a faulty pot, not the switch. My reasoning...

With the switch in the middle all output should be stopped if either pot is at 0, this is because the pot is between the pup and ground and acts as a resister to stop signal going to ground. At 0 there is no resistance between the signal and ground so all of the signal goes to ground. One of your pots is not going down to zero resistance, hence there is always some signal.

The switch only connects one pup, the other, or both and it is doing that.

Logic dictates that whichever pot it is which wont go to 0 is at fault. I'd stake my life on it.

I'm with Larry - better ease off on your wager a little. [biggrin] Could be the switch. [scared]

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm with Larry - better ease off on your wager a little. [biggrin] Could be the switch. [scared]

You do realize I won't actually die if I'm wrong. :P . I am intrigued as to how the switch could prevent the volume going to zero in 1 pup.

To the op, yes, definitely faulty. Turning either pup to zero when in the centre position should silence both and obviously both should be able to go to 0 when used individually.

As you can see, I'm convinced that only a faulty pot could cause it but those who disagree are very worthy and well respected people so, well, I've been wrong before... it was 1992 I think ;)

Do you have access to a multimeter? It'd be easy to check.

Do you have access to a multimeter? It'd be easy to check.

No I don't but I spoke to the shop where I bought it and they ordered a new pot meter. They'll swop it once it has arrived. Free of charge.

Thanks for all your input!

Archived