Gibson Brands Forums

Have you seen this guy?

sellen

Yes, an old friend of mine.

He lives about two miles from me, but I have not seen him in ages.

He does play a local bar about 7 miles down the road from me every so often, one of these days I will have to stop in and see him play.

Back when I got my '73 Les Paul Deluxe we were at a party around 1974 and he was playing my Les Paul through an Echoplex, and the drummers cymbal tipped over, and put a nice nick on my Gibson by the controls.

Way back then though he was not into the Hendrix Tribute yet.

Back around '81 I was jamming with some friends, and Randy's younger brother Glen was playing bass for us.

Randy Hanson is one of the few people who can really nail the Jimi vibe authentically.I read a story in Guitar Player many years ago when they did a feature on him.Randy was playing at a Jimi tribute concert in Seattle which Jimi's father Al was attending.The older Hendrix and Randy met after the concert and were chatting as they walked along to an after concert met and greet.They came to a door and Randy opened it for Al but Al motioned for Randy to go first and said"After you,Jimi." that's quite a fabulous compliment for the father of the original Voodoo Child to call him by his son's name.Apparently Randy felt on top of the world for days after to be given this kind of recognition.

BTW: Randy's input in Apocalypse Now was to supply a lot of the sound effects such as bombs dropping and exploding,planes flying over etc.That was in the article also.

With regard to Randy using an upside down righty-there's a method to his madness and a reason why Jimi kept insisting on playing upside down Strats when he knew that there were lefty Strats.I do Hendrix covers and have found that an upside down Strat is a necessity when doing Hendrix songs.For starters having the vibrato arm up top allows for doing pull-offs and hammer-ons while depressing the vibrato with your forearm-as Jimi did on Machine Gun during his "air raid Siren" simulation.Also with the controls up top you can change pickups while still picking without missing a note or a beat by again using your forearm as you pick.After a while,having a flipped guitar feels natural and second nature.

With regard to Randy using an upside down righty-there's a method to his madness and a reason why Jimi kept insisting on playing upside down Strats when he knew that there were lefty Strats.I do Hendrix covers and have found that an upside down Strat is a necessity when doing Hendrix songs.For starters having the vibrato arm up top allows for doing pull-offs and hammer-ons while depressing the vibrato with your forearm-as Jimi did on Machine Gun during his "air raid Siren" simulation.Also with the controls up top you can change pickups while still picking without missing a note or a beat by again using your forearm as you pick.After a while,having a flipped guitar feels natural and second nature.

Makes sense [thumbup]

Archived