Gibson Brands Forums

String recommendation for "Robert Johnson L-1"

Jack6849

Two weeks ago, I bought a new "Robert Johnson L-1" which I really enjoy playing. I added bone bridge pins and my usual set of light-gauge Martin 80/20 Bronze strings. It sounds and plays great, but I thought I'd just ask the members of this Forum what strings they would use on it. My other acoustics vary in size from 000 to Super Jumbo, so perhaps this smaller "L" size body would benefit from strings I'm not familiar with. I've used the Martin 80/20s on all my acoustics for years and I guess I've become a creature of habit in this area of my playing.

I assume "Medium" gauge strings would not be recommended for this guitar, it being so small and all, but I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me if that assumption is, in fact, correct. The "L-1"s short scale-length would make "Mediums" easy enough to finger, but I'm guessing this guitar probably isn't braced for anything heavier than "Lights"... anybody know if that's right? How about Jeremy Morton or someone else with some insight in this area? ...

And of course, a lot of players prefer other string brands, and many use only "phosphor-bronze" sets on their acoustics. I know what I prefer on my larger sized guitars, but I have no history with small-bodied acoustics like this new "Robert Johnson L-1", so I thought before I started experimenting with different strings (just for fun....), I'd see what interested (and informed) Forumites might recommend for me to try, perhaps saving myself a bit of time. Do you think that the small-bodied "L-1" might benefit for some "phosphor-bronze" strings, and if so, which ones do you like best on guitars of this size?

Thanks in advance for your comments and/or suggestions,

Jack6849

Two weeks ago, I bought a new "Robert Johnson L-1" which I really enjoy playing. I added bone bridge pins and my usual set of light-gauge Martin 80/20 Bronze strings. It sounds and plays great, but I thought I'd just ask the members of this Forum what strings they would use on it. My other acoustics vary in size from 000 to Super Jumbo, so perhaps this smaller "L" size body would benefit from strings I'm not familiar with. I've used the Martin 80/20s on all my acoustics for years and I guess I've become a creature of habit in this area of my playing.

I assume "Medium" gauge strings would not be recommended for this guitar, it being so small and all, but I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me if that assumption is, in fact, correct. The "L-1"s short scale-length would make "Mediums" easy enough to finger, but I'm guessing this guitar probably isn't braced for anything heavier than "Lights"... anybody know if that's right? How about Jeremy Morton or someone else with some insight in this area? ...

And of course, a lot of players prefer other string brands, and many use only "phosphor-bronze" sets on their acoustics. I know what I prefer on my larger sized guitars, but I have no history with small-bodied acoustics like this new "Robert Johnson L-1", so I thought before I started experimenting with different strings (just for fun....), I'd see what interested (and informed) Forumites might recommend for me to try, perhaps saving myself a bit of time. Do you think that the small-bodied "L-1" might benefit for some "phosphor-bronze" strings, and if so, which ones do you like best on guitars of this size?

Thanks in advance for your comments and/or suggestions,

Jack6849

If you use mediums I would suggest tuning down a half step. As for brand of strings I would go buy 5 sets and take notes on the characteristics and put a set on every week. Use what you like the best, what you like best will likely be different than what anither person likes. If it were me I would stick with lights (12-53) and experiment with different strings.

Good luck

Jeremy

Thanks to Jeremy Morton for your quick response. I will probably stay with some kind of "Light-gauge" strings. Just wondered about the question of using "Mediums"... Thanks for your insight. This Forum is a real resource for stuff like this and your contributions add a lot to its value.

Thanks to all (including CAMELEYE...) for taking the time to contribute,

Jack6849

I was addicted to DR Rare 11's on my little superlight '36 L0, but my luthier turned me on to a set of Dunlop 80/20 bronze low tension strings. These are 12's and tuned down on the L0 they are superior sounding and bend beautifully. There are a couple of great deals out there right now on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290771124091?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Maybe you can track down 11's from the same seller.

If you use mediums I would suggest tuning down a half step.

That surprises me...why do you say that? I would think the guitar could handle mediums. I've used mediums on all sorts of guitars with no ill effects.

Is that your opinion or an official Gibson recommendation? I don't mean to be snarky but genuinely curious...inquiring minds and all...

That surprises me...why do you say that? I would think the guitar could handle mediums. I've used mediums on all sorts of guitars with no ill effects.

Is that your opinion or an official Gibson recommendation? I don't mean to be snarky but genuinely curious...inquiring minds and all...

Personal opinion...

Archived