Gibson Brands Forums

Wanna Jam?

quapman

Wouldn't it be fun if we could jam right now?

What if there was a site that allowed it,,, wouldn't that be a blast.?

If I/you created a rhythm and someone was waiting to play a lead or bass line or keyboard melody or vocals,, over top of it,. how fun would that be?

I'm sure there are all sorts of business and technical reasons this wouldn't fly,, but,,, don't you think it would be fun????

I think it would be a blast to jam with people on here.

Imagine the stuff that would be created?

I think that would be way more fun than talking about obsolete computers... [wink]

Hey,, someone should build a jam site ... that would be cool.

If I/you created a rhythm and someone was waiting to play a lead or bass line or keyboard melody or vocals,, over top of it,. how fun would that be?

I'm sure there are all sorts of business and technical reasons this wouldn't fly,, but,,, don't you think it would be fun????

I think that would be way more fun than talking about obsolete computers... [wink]

true, but come on! vintage computers are cool!

There was a similar situation over on another forum where members could 'collaborate' with each other in regards one person would lay down a track (or several) and others could download and re-record with themselves overdubbing their own contribution.

It worked very well.

I don't know any of the technical end of it but it IS possibe.

P.

Video conference on skype or something similar, might work for live jamming...

If I remember correctly there's around a half-second delay in transmission exchanges which makes it impossible for everyone to play in time.

The person at the receiving end could, of course, play in time with the original signal but by the time the first person hears the response the delay (x2; there & back) makes the excersise impossible.

P.

MAN that is really weird.. I was just talking to someone about the exact same thing..

Im looking into it :)

Cool! Thanks Rabs... I wonder if anyone here has tried these?

I figured the only way one could jam online is to upload an idea and let others download it and add to it,, and so on.

That sounds pretty cool to though and I might give those a try too.

But live? Due to network latency I would think live jamming would be near impossible.

But Ninjam claims they extend the network latency, measure it by measures, record it and then stream it to users.

If I'm reading that right?

But how the hell does the first person to start playing ever catch up? I'm having trouble getting my head around

how this works technically. Sounds weird but it might be cool to try.

I may have to install the software that came with my R8 recorder so I can use my computer to try this out.

I notice a couple sites on that top 10 list don't exist anymore.. perhaps a sign of how plausible this really is?

Great concept though.

lol i hope it is in Australia so i can come along once i get that Cynthcart cartridge for my 64

euh, you mised the point...online jam, maybe you should get a C64 shell over your OS, so you can have all the joy of the C64 and got a network card.

Archived