Gibson Brands Forums

What's In YOUR CD Player?

John Lee Walker

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anthony, I agree about Ryan's acoustic stuff. Suicide Handbook is stellar. 48hrs is wonderful too in terms of unreleased stuff. I gather that Ry finds playing acoustic guitar for a long time painful since his stage tumble and shattered wrist in '04. I saw him doing a solo tour in '06 during which he was pounding on a couple of bottles of red wine per show and nipping off for Cortizone injections in the wings during sets. He seemed really uncomfortable with the guitar. I saw him later in the year with The Cardinals, and he was clean, sober and playing electric as if he was channeling energy out of the sky and conjuring a thunderstorm...I'd never seen anything as startling or powerful, in terms of raw electric guitar dynamic and interplay. I think electric is a much more comfortable medium for him to use at the moment, although Cardinology has some great acoustic work on it.

van halen- fair warning

black sabbath- vol. 4

pink floyd- animals

ac/dc- powerage

anthrax- among the living

led zeppelin- led zeppelin II

megadeth- so far... so good... so what!

ted nugent- weekend warrior

stevie ray vaughan- texas flood

iron maiden- powerslave

all great listenin' =P~

van halen- fair warning

black sabbath- vol. 4

pink floyd- animals

ac/dc- powerage

anthrax- among the living

led zeppelin- led zeppelin II

megadeth- so far... so good... so what!

ted nugent- weekend warrior

stevie ray vaughan- texas flood

iron maiden- powerslave

all great listenin' =D>

my ears are bleeding just reading this. i know, if it's too loud i'm too old.

I am a big RA fan' date=' but hae been dragging my feet picking this one up. I guess I should give it a try?

I have been obsessed recently with his ::unreleased:: Suicide Handbook record. Outstanding (and very much acoustic guitar based; ryan is at his best when unplugged, IMHO).[/quote']

he's my current fave. his lyrics are cutting and truthful. the ladyfriend i took with me to see him in cleveland has become obsessed with him, plastering her cell phone and pc with pics of him. its actually a little frightening. careful, jinder! you might be next - i played her your gibson lounge video.

AC/DC,Led Zeppelin,Def Leppard,Metallica,SKA-P,Manowar,Judas Priest,Bob Marley,Bob McGilpin,Bob McFerrin,Black Sabbath,Guns N'Roses,Deep Purple,Sex Pistols,The Clash,The Ramones,Aerosmith,Articolo 31 and much more like those bands

AC/DC - Black Ice - You know I have to have anything that's black ! Anyway' date=' the masters of G C and D are back and baaaaaad ! It is amazing how three chords can be used to create soooooo many different songs.[/quote']

their tunes make for great counrty-fried conversions. i used to do an alt-country version of 'you shook me'. it IS a country song IMO.

back to the post topic.... my first cooder cassette was the "paris, texas' soundtrack. really great stuff. legend has it he recorded most of it on a guitar he bought from a pawn shop right before the session. great movie, too. strange but cool - it stays with you.

I have to say' date=' that is one thing I've never heard anyone say in a redneck honky-tonk - "You know, that Barry Manilow, he's one bad mother******"[/quote']

Course they don't say that about BM (funny how his initials just work out like that). That's what they say about Shaft.

and furthermore...(clears throat)...

this may be old news for some but at any rate, last.fm is a great free streaming radio network that has all sorts of specialty stations as well as fan and dedicated ones as well. i just tapped in looking for some ryan adams stuff after jinder mentioned suicide handbook. lots of great stuff here - townes, guy clark, lucinda, kathleen edwards, etc...

Anthony' date=' I agree about Ryan's acoustic stuff. Suicide Handbook is stellar. 48hrs is wonderful too in terms of unreleased stuff. I gather that Ry finds playing acoustic guitar for a long time painful since his stage tumble and shattered wrist in '04. I saw him doing a solo tour in '06 during which he was pounding on a couple of bottles of red wine per show and nipping off for Cortizone injections in the wings during sets. He seemed really uncomfortable with the guitar. I saw him later in the year with The Cardinals, and he was clean, sober and playing electric as if he was channeling energy out of the sky and conjuring a thunderstorm...I'd never seen anything as startling or powerful, in terms of raw electric guitar dynamic and interplay. I think electric is a much more comfortable medium for him to use at the moment, although Cardinology has some great acoustic work on it.[/quote']

An interesting assessment. You could be right.

Funny you mentioned 48 hours. I just downloaded that one yesterday. Very Whiskeytown-esque (read: county). Like it alot after a few spins.

RA may be a bit unpredictable (and could use an editor to filter out some filler material), but since Y2K, he might be the best artist at the top of his game. For those who haven't discovered him (mainstream radio doesnt play him, no?) he is worth seeking out.

Don't own any CDs. Got everything on my iPods and computers. I have about 7,000 songs on my iPod. If you are asking what am I listening to right now, here ya go.

Currently I am absolutely loving the following bands

Black Stone Cherry

The Answer

The Hurt

Farewell to Freeway

I just got GnR's Chinese Democracy and have to say it is a great CD, guitars, vocals, melodies are all very strong. I like one song on the new AC/DC Black Rain, the rest of it is so so.

I knew i was forgetting something - wow could i forget this one?

Justin Townes Earle - The Good Life.

We had the opportunity to see him at the hardly strictly bluegrass festival this year in San Francisco. After the show i was waiting to get my CD signed and his dad tapped me on the shoulder to get me out of the way to he could tell him what a great set he played. I had to agree..

Archived