Gibson Brands Forums

More on that future looking Les Paul

Rabs

So some pics were posted a while ago of a new Les Paul shape being worked on.. I found these today..

Is this real?? Is it actually going to get a release or is it just R&D to explore more options and we wont ever actually see one in the shops? (I actually quite like the looks of it.. they should stick a P90 in the neck position though I think :))

What do you reckon?

425094_476364912375352_880795187_n_zpsecf2ff91.jpg

33722_167343326610847_6045942_n_zpsa0289c98.jpg

71918_167192333292613_3306711_n_zpsdfec5f30.jpg

555974_469410183071135_841413603_n_zpsd0b61414.jpg

Why even do that? just get a lighter guitar.

That's not a Les Paul by the way, once the shape is butchered it is not a Les Paul.

Lol.. I hear what your saying but it says Les Paul on the headstock.. (but does that mean a double cut isnt a Les Paul? :))

Hmm maybe to keep it in line they should call it the Les Paul Moderne :P

I don't see the point to this guitar. I don't really like the shape for one. I don't think it looks particularly pleasing, as a Les Paul does.

If it is for wieght, it for sure is pointless. It doesn't matter if you remove wieght from the inside or the outside, it is still a "change". The way I see it, if you want an LP that is lighter, an LP that has the shape and feel but hollowed out some is more like an LP than one that has been re-shaped.

If this new creation is for playability and feel, why not change the neck? it doesn't make much sense to me to try and gain easier access to the upper frets while keeping the neck heel in the same location. All the countouring you can do won't be as much as what you get from an SG or a 335.

I am all for experimenting, making guitars different, trying out body shapes, or coming up with something new. It can either be a modification to something, or be a new guitar entirely.

But THIS guitar doesn't seem to me to be anything that is an improvement or a nice looking shape. So I guess I am glad they are trying something that might be cool and of corse that means experiments that can't all be "winners".

Am I going to be the only other one who actually likes the look of this thing? Admittedly, it ought to be called something other than a Les Paul, but I really do kinda like it. It's part Epiphone Genesis, part Ibanez Artist, part Les Paul, and pretty futuristic. I think it would be cool if those contours are comfy... if not it's kind of a deal breaker. What should it be called? Why do I get the feeling someone is going to respond "ugly" [biggrin]

This is Gibson not listening to the customers yet again. Robot series says it as just that, don't care what the customer Wants. Poor quality control and it boils down to money.

Don't get me wrong I love my Gibson havebut the used market may just have to be.

That's not a Les Paul by the way, once the shape is butchered it is not a Les Paul.

jnrdctvyell_m.jpg

They are not destroying the vast amounts of Les Pauls in the world or discontinuing the classic style of the Les Paul, either. This is just Gibson giving more variety to it's customer base. Personally, I can't bring myself to feel threatened. Heck, Les Paul's Les Paul Recording looked less like a classic Les Paul than this.

I think they're only making a few of them. They're obviously made for somebody who doesn't want a normal looking les paul. Therefore, they wouldn't appeal to people who like regular looking les pauls. The key is enjoy the things you like rather than being jealous of someone who has something you don't like. [thumbup]

If it's going to be a new model then I have no problem with it but please don't get rid of the Lp. Don't fix something that isn't broke.

Maybe Henry should go hang out with Paul Reed Smith, might learn something about qc and customer service. Just sayin.

Archived