Gibson Brands Forums

What kind of amp do you use ?

DamienAzrael

My main amp is a bit old' date='but everything works on it well.

Its a 1972 marshall jmp50[/quote']

One of the last of the really real Marshalls. Don't ever sell that amp! :P

One of the best amps that I ever played through, was my friends '72 Superlead. That thing changed my freakin' life.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the last of the really real Marshalls. Don't ever sell that amp! =D>

One of the best amps that I ever played through' date=' was my friends '72 Superlead. That thing changed my freakin' life. [/quote']

Yea,its the real deal.

Alot of people try to talk me into selling it when they find what it is,but I have no intentions to sell it.I'm not exactly sure of what its worth these days,but I bought in the mid 80's for only $400 for the entire thing,head and cabinet.Never had any problems with it other than had to replace the power cord as it was wearing thru.No gain,just a master volume.Its great for most of the type music I play.I have few other little amps and also a guitar proccessor which I run directly into pa when I am playing more modern stuff or stuff with alot of affects.Use an a/b box between the amp and the processor.I'm not a big fan of heavily proccessed tone or real high gain stuff.Although those modeling type deals are becoming better right along,I still don't care for simulated tone all that much.It never gets the fell of the real deal

Traynor YGM 3 with mojo tone speaker and back removed for clean sounds,Gretch 7160? valco made bass head with kt66s and sovteck 2+12 cab with Celestian Relics for dirty sounds.Too many pedals but my favorites right now are my Line 6 Compressor,Carl Martin AC.Tone,MXR dist 3 and a old Ross phaser.I've used an Alesis Wedge for modulations and delays for years and it works great.For messing around or when I'm lazy I use a Crate power block and a Korg AX3G with a little 1 =12 cab.My mini cube is also a lot of fun.

• 3 months later...

For me, I simply cannot stay with one amp for more than a couple months, so I rotate between:

Depends on the size of the venue, the style I'm playing, on which head/cab combo I use.

Amps

1973 Carvin X100B (Original)

Peavey 6505+

Peavey 5150III

Marshall JCM2000, Super Lead

Mesa/Boogie Duel Rectifier (rack)

Cabs

one 2x12 (red, traditional, 1 Celestion V30, 1 Celestion GH121)

one 4x12 (under my 2x12) 2 Celestion Black Shadows, 2 Celestion Golds

Randall XL 4x12 (Four Celestion Black Shadows)

Mesa 4x12 Duel Rectifier Match Cab

Bedrock 600 Series 25(ish) watt head, with a Laney 2x12 cab.

I also have a Crate 5115 combo - if anyone knows of any mods for it, I'd be all ears. PM Me.

Depending on the gig, I have an assortment of pedals, but usually it's Guitar->Cable->Amp

My main amp is the one shown.Its a 1972 50 watt Marshall 1987x,tube amp.

The cabinet is not made by marshall.Its a home made 4x 12(not by me) cabinet with celestion G12-30 speakers.

I often use my Roland micro cube or pignos 7-100 for practicing for volume reasons.

1902439193_3635be9af6_b.jpg

Try this... I've got a gorgeous old 120-watt tube jobbie that's like a Fender Twin on steroids. (It weighs like that, too!) It has just about everything fancy they could do with a tube amp in the early-mid 1970s. It sits in the guitar room and gets played for fun maybe a dozen times a year. Sounds great once the tubes are warmed up. I worry about it in a saloon gig since I no longer have spare fuses.

Then there's this little Kustom acoustic amp with a multi-effect box. I can move it easily. I do wish I had my old Fender Deluxe Reverb back; I wanna Boss RT20 to replace the big Leslie speaker I once had, but... for now, the 30-pound 30-35 watt Kustom is the "carry out" amp if I'm playing anywhere I'm likely to play outside the house.

It sits permanently attached to a suitcase wheel set, btw, so I can wheel rather than carry it. But then, I'm not as young and full of hot blood as I once was.

For finger-style stuff it's proven to be plenty loud for a 500-seat theater solo or a saloon unless the intent is to deafen the dancers. Were that the case, I'd haul the oldie. But I'm past where I'm willing to haul an 80+pound amp through a foot of snow to a snowy/muddy Jeep and thence to a snowy/muddy saloon or theater, then repeat in reverse - when the 35-pound rig works nearly as well for what I play.

This'll sound terrible to say, but ... the little Kustom was so inexpensive I figured I could either throw it away or use it just for a practice amp when I got it nearly six years ago. When it gets a ding, it's not the end of the world.

Since it was built as an acoustic amp, it's got two separate plug-in channels like the old Reverb, so in a small room you can use a mike on one channel with separate volume, etc. It's simple. It has gobs of sound for a saloon or coffeehouse solo gig. The little electronic box adds a little thickness to what's naturally "cleanliness."

FYI, yeah, I considered a modeling amp with all the little neaties in it. Looked at LIne 6, etc., then figured a massively "neutral" amp made better sense with separate electronic cutsies.

I do not gig - just annoy/amuse the neighbors. In order of which gets the most use: Mesa Blue Angel(4-10), 7? Fender Twin, Fender Hot Rod DeVille(4-10). Pedals depend on mood - there are several.

Archived