Gibson Brands Forums

I'm lovin' these new picks.

Buxom

I switched from a Dunlop .60 to a Dunlop .48 on a whim. (was just in the music store one day) I've been playing better than ever, more clearly, more control, less energy wasted when muting, just one of the best decisions I've made in terms of my playing.

Can you play fast with it, though? I'm not exactly the most elegant player.

The Jazz III, despite it's name, is The shredder pick. The less pick touching the string, the better, and the less floppy the pick, the cleaner your technique will be. Can't stand thin picks except for basic acoustic strumming.

I have a few JazzIII but I just do not feel comfortable with them. I know lots of players swear by them but I just can't connect with their shape.

For me it has to be a 351 style and at least a Medium. Anything thinner is just like flapping in the wind with no real control.

As much as I hate to conform I just like these generic style picks.

I find that thin pick cause loss of control. So, I like heavy one's. At least 1.0. I seem to keep going back to Fender heavy pick. The large one.

I also find that grip is an issue. I think most people have a problem with grip, especially when gigging. My answer is to put grip on the pick. I've bought Skateboard grip (it's self adhesive and on a roll) and cut small pieces and stick it to the pick.

5858581F-9A7A-4B3A-9158-12A4EAE69C57-17374-0000231148A42126.jpg

This is my tester that I leave on my sofa. The grip is great. It takes a bit of getting used too though.

I tried a good pick recently. It was a 'Cactus' pick. Good grip etc. But I can only find them in the US.

I've tried all types and I found that Tortex dulled the sound. I think the the material makes a massive difference to your sound.

The Jazz III, despite it's name, is The shredder pick. The less pick touching the string, the better, and the less floppy the pick, the cleaner your technique will be. Can't stand thin picks except for basic acoustic strumming.

I'm not a shredder, though.

I play most of the time with a pick made from a 1959 Quarter. Anything older then 1963 wilk work you need the 90% silver so you dont tear up strings so I like thick picks also. I like some of the nice wooden and bone pics there also nice. My favorite pick of all time hasn't been made for decades now it was made by Gibson and they were called Tri-Pick I hope they remake them someday I' think I'd buy a case!

I'm not a shredder, though.

The point is technique. Though shredders may not be the most...musical...bunch IMO, their technique in terms of picking speed and accuracy is impressive. And this is aided by using thicker, smaller picks.

I've been a red Jazz III pick user for years, but I have recently started using the Dunlop Jazztone 204 and 205 picks. The 204 actually sounds a lot like the Jazz III, but it has a more rounded tip and makes it easier for me to play chords. The 205 has the same tip as the Jazz III and both the 204 and 205 have are the same size as, but thicker than, the Jazz III.

Dunlop Jazztone Picks

A long time ago, I needed a pick, and a friend handed me a Jazz III.

Not once have I ever looked back.

I love the jazz picks (I, II, and III) although the shape of the III is better suited for "everything", I have found they kill higher tones a little... have you noticed that? (A-B them with dunlop tortex or fender derlin picks if you can and tell me if you notice it too or I am nuts :) )

I love the jazz picks (I, II, and III) although the shape of the III is better suited for "everything", I have found they kill higher tones a little... have you noticed that? (A-B them with dunlop tortex or fender derlin picks if you can and tell me if you notice it too or I am nuts :) )

Yea, I've noticed that. Think it's because their edges are so rounded.

I have a black Jazz II right here that's sharper, and I can tell the difference. The Jazz I seems to be as thin as the II, but as round on the edges as the III, with a rounder tip.

Also they wear down quite easily, which doesn't help.

Archived