Gibson Brands Forums

Chinese Sheraton with 5 piece necks...

charlie brown

Well, we've heard it for months, maybe even years...but, here's proof, that the Sheraton has gone back,

to the 5-piece (length wise) necks! Hooray!!! Now, I don't know, if it's for ALL Sheraton's, or just the

"natural" finished version. Anyone know, for sure?! Seems silly, though, to build them differently,

neck wise, just for "finish" reasons. So, hopefully, they ALL have that, now.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETS2NAGH/

And, forgive me, if this is "Old News?" I've been "away!" LOL

CB

And, forgive me, if this is "Old News?" I've been "away!" LOL

CB - Good to see you here once again! Yes, it has been mentioned a few times. I noticed the 5-piece neck on Chinese Sheratons a while back and posted something about it. A pleasant surprise for sure. Also since we're talking Sheratons, and I know you have that beautiful AIUSA version which made me drool every time you posted a photo - I thought I'd share the fact that I finally landed one myself. It's a mint condition sunburst with Frequensator, "The Boogie Man" on the pickguard, JLH's name on the truss rod cover, and blue label signed by JLH (#009X). Do you happen to know where this might fit regarding the production years for these instruments? I think I'm close in guessing 2001. Sorry I am not a pic posting guy (old & lazy - emphasis on the lazy), but if for any reason you're curious & PM me your email, I do know how to send email photos. I've got to say, the build quality on the AIUSA version is absolutely first rate!

Thanks, Bobouz... I try to "check in," now and then, whenever possible. ;>) I, like a lot of us, had "heard" they were

going to go back to the 5-piece necks, some time ago...but, until now, I'd never seen one...at least, not a new one, from

the Chinese factory. So, I too, was pleasantly surprised. I much prefer that neck construction, and look, added to the

new (Gibson correct) body contours. Outstanding!!

And, Congratulations!!!...on your AIUSA Sheraton acquisition. That's Great!! I know you love it, already! How could you

not??? And, you're quite correct, about the fit/finish, and overall construction..."top drawer," all around. Not sure of

the exact dates, they were produced (there were several batches made, at different times, apparently. But, the batch mine

came from were discontinued in 2005, I believe. It was an "overrun," of the JLH one, you have...exactly the same, even the

same serial number, but without the "JLH" TRC or Pick-guard....which was OK with me, as I prefer the stock "plain Jane" version,

anyway. Not, and never have been, a real big "endorsement" guitar buyer. My Gibson "Lucille" is the only exception.(Smile)

So, I'm thinking those Sheraton's were (maybe) made, in the 2003-2005 time frame...(the starting year, maybe a bit earlier)???

I'm sure, someone here, or the good folks at Epiphone/Gibson, will know the exact time frame, for all the various versions.

Cheers,

CB

CB - I have a 2001 Epi catalog, and the AIUSA-JLH shows up in there, while Epi-Wiki lists a release date of 2000. Since JLH signed the label but passed away in '01, and with the low serial number, I figured it would most likely have been released early in the run, but I'm not 100% certain. As for artist endorsements, I've never been a big fan of them either, but this one's kinda growing on me! Btw, in case you didn't see it, catch the recent thread on the 50th anniversary '62 Sheraton and Sorrento that may be released soon. Interesting stuff.

Ok I must not understand. Fill me in....

It's often referred to as a three piece neck, but it's actually five. There are two narrow strips between the three main pieces of maple. This construction would be preferred to the one piece maple w/scarf joints previously seen on Chinese Sheratons. Note that original Sheratons made at the Gibson factory in Kalamazoo had one piece mahogany necks, as do the AIUSA & Elitist versions.

CB - I have a 2001 Epi catalog, and the AIUSA-JLH shows up in there, while Epi-Wiki lists a release date of 2000. Since JLH signed the label but passed away in '01, and with the low serial number, I figured it would most likely have been released early in the run, but I'm not 100% certain. As for artist endorsements, I've never been a big fan of them either, but this one's kinda growing on me! Btw, in case you didn't see it, catch the recent thread on the 50th anniversary '62 Sheraton and Sorrento that may be released soon. Interesting stuff.

Cool! I had NO idea (obviously) they'd been in production, that long. I thought 2-4 years, at most. But, however long they were made,

they're still Great! I just wish there was more color options...even in the standard Sheraton's. A "Faded Cherry," or just "Cherry,"

optional color, would be great, again. And, thanks, for the "heads up," on the Sorrento and '62 Sheri! Sounds Fabulous!

CB

It's often referred to as a three piece neck, but it's actually five. There are two narrow strips between the three main pieces of maple. This construction would be preferred to the one piece maple w/scarf joints previously seen on Chinese Sheratons. Note that original Sheratons made at the Gibson factory in Kalamazoo had one piece mahogany necks, as do the AIUSA & Elitist versions.

[thumbup]

CB

Archived