Gibson Brands Forums

Instument/Audio Cables

CowboyBillyBob1

I know this topic has been discussed ad naseum but I just wanted to share something I think a lot of you can benefit from.

Before Monster Cables were around you could but a good cable for a reasonable price. I have a cable that is at least 20 years old and is still working well with no noise at all. Monster cable came out with quality cables but the price was outrageous. Some of you may not be old enough to remember the pre-monster days. Soon aferwards most quality cables raised their price to ridiculous levels. I recently purchased one of Monster's cheaper cables the Standard 100. Paid like $30 for 12'. What a piece of crap! The thing died on me after a few months and I did not even use it ouside my living room. I realize this is their cheapest cable but still 30 bucks for 12 feet ain't cheap.

Today I received delivery of two South Creek cables a 10' for $9.45 and a 20' for $11.45. I was blown away by the quality of these cables so far. Gold plated ends, totally silent, and just screams quality.

I can see they will last a long time from just inspecting how they are made and how they sound.

My point is that you owe it to yourself to give these bad boys a try and see how they measure against your current cable. They would have to fail 4x before you reached the price of a Monster. I am not picking on Monster just that they are well known and make a good example of overpriced stuff.

I am not trolling just want to pass on a great deal that you may not be aware of.

South Creek Audio Cables

Great find and price.

http://onlinestore.southcreekaudio.com/20-foot-guitar-instrument-cable-straight-to-90/

I have Mogamis, and also an American Stage by Planet Waves which seem just as good.

I have a Planet Waves American Stage cable. Excellent cable. The South Creek cable, which is just as high quality if not more so, is only $9.45.

All I am saying is give them a try. You will not be dissapointed.

I remember reading a review of audio-visual cables in Consumer Reports several years ago.They tested the signal strength,signal to noise ratios etc. of various cables from Dollar Store low budget cables to the uber-expensive Monster Cables.The only way that they could find any measurable differences in the tolerances of the cables was to use very sensitive hi-tech equipment,as the differences to human eyes and ears were undetectable.

The tests concluded that spending extra money on high priced products was an unnecessary expense that was completely unwarranted.

I would imagine that similar results would be found when instrument-amplifier-speaker cables are compared.Of course the top priced cables may be more durable,in just about all other performance parameters they would probably equal.

I've been using Road-Hog Cables by Rapco for both instruments and speakers for over 20 years and I have found them to be the best I've ever used.They are a bit pricey but are still way cheaper than Monster Cables.

If you do most of your playing at home you could probably get by quite satisfactorally with El Cheapo cables but if you do a lot of gigging or moving around you'd probably be better off using a more sturdy and more expensive brand cable,still without having to spend a King's ransom for Monster Cables.

If you do most of your playing at home you could probably get by quite satisfactorally with El Cheapo cables but if you do a lot of gigging or moving around you'd probably be better off using a more sturdy and more expensive brand cable,still without having to spend a King's ransom for Monster Cables.

I just want to point out that these South Creek cables, while inexpensive, are not El Cheapo. They are high quality cables but just not overpriced.

Yeah I am just waiting to see when the patch cables have more of a varity of different lengths.

They make 11", 2', 3', and 4' patch cables. Most of my pedal to pedal cable is 9.5" long not including the 1.5" right angle plug. Not much of a difference and am not sure if they include the plug length in their measurement. Still not much of a difference at all. What length are you looking for?

I do not work for or affiliated with this company in any way. I just want to pass on this great cable deal to other musicians.

You guys have no idea what "expensive" is when it comes to cable.

How about a pair of inter-connect cables to go from CD player to preamp for 900 bucks? Or wiring a strat with wire that is 100 bucks a foot?

There is something to spending BIG money on wire and cable...BUT, if you are just going to throw money at it, you likely won't get an improvement.

Personally, for the cost of really GOOD cable, it is far, far too expensive for an instrument cable to go "all out", because it would be thousands. And, the ARE some that cost thousands.

Once you get to a certain level of quality, the best thing you can do is burn it in and use it. It takes about 40 hours for "good" cable to sound it's best. Some more, some less.

I think it makes more sense to get a cable that will LAST if it ends up being a good one. By good, I mean if it SOUNDS good, and you can only tell that by listening to it, either by comparing or "critically" listening. If you have to replace them all the time, it doesn't matter how good it might be because it will never have a chance to be burned in.

You guys have no idea what "expensive" is when it comes to cable.

How about a pair of inter-connect cables to go from CD player to preamp for 900 bucks? Or wiring a strat with wire that is 100 bucks a foot?

There is something to spending BIG money on wire and cable...BUT, if you are just going to throw money at it, you likely won't get an improvement.

Personally, for the cost of really GOOD cable, it is far, far too expensive for an instrument cable to go "all out", because it would be thousands. And, the ARE some that cost thousands.

Once you get to a certain level of quality, the best thing you can do is burn it in and use it. It takes about 40 hours for "good" cable to sound it's best. Some more, some less.

I think it makes more sense to get a cable that will LAST if it ends up being a good one. By good, I mean if it SOUNDS good, and you can only tell that by listening to it, either by comparing or "critically" listening. If you have to replace them all the time, it doesn't matter how good it might be because it will never have a chance to be burned in.

To assume that I, and some other members here are not aware of $1000 cables for quitar would be a mistake. No matter though. We are talking about cable that you would use at the Dew Drop Inn with your Rock 'N Roll Band. Cables like those you are talking about is a totally different discussion and certainly not within the scope of what we are talking about here.

My point is that cables of the same, or even better quality of Monster cables and their ilk can be purchased for a lot less than Monster is selling them for. A quality robust cable that transmits your signal in a quiet and transparant way with minimal color alteration can be bought for less than $15 while Monster charges $50 or more.

I wanted to pass this on to others here and have them save a few bucks. Don't get sucked into the Monster or Mogami hype.

I wanted to pass this on to others here and have them save a few bucks. Don't get sucked into the Monster or Mogami hype.

Wish I had known about these or the Planet Waves ones before I spent around $60 each on three Mogamis.

Got my son two of the Planet Waves ones for his PRS SE Semi-Hollow for his birthday, and the ones you have here are a tad cheaper.

One of the coolest cables I have is a PRS one I got for free.

When I bought my PRS SE Santana awhile back, they had a promotion going on where you get free strings for a year, a nice cable, strap, and polish.

The cable turned out to be one of their high end ones that has a slide on the end of one of the ends so when you pull it out of the guitar it cuts the signal so there is no pop sound.

Now if this company can add something like that, it would be a killer cable.

I am using these "ZZYZX Basics" cables. They are completely noiseless and inexpensive. The week point is the plugs. Whatever I do they come loose after a few weeks. It's fine with those which are stationary, like the ones between the pedalboard and amps, but the one I have between the guitar and the board needs constant maintenance. So probably I'll replace that one with a higher quality cable and leave the rest of the connections with ZZYZXs. Cheers... Bence

P.S.: Please friends, let's stop that minusing game - don't make a "persona non grata" of a fellow member, just because of an unfortunate debate in the past. Thank You!

I can't really comment on the Monster brand of instrument cables, because I have NOT tried them.

I know they are a large brand in the A/V market, and have been before the "audiophile" world went nuts with cable brands. What I have heard of those cables, I thought they were not as good or not to my taste compared to other stuff. A bit more expensive, too. Especially in the "cheaper" ones.

What I was glad to see when the Monster stuff came out for the "guitar" world was that the market seemed to be paying a bit more attention to the idea that a better cable can make a difference. In the "Audiophile" world, the reason things went nuts with cables and prices was because it made such a difference, and competition and interest resulted in much more knowledge and better cables. In "Pro Audio", it always mattered, both quality AND reliability, because that culture has an ethic that failure is unacceptable. But somewhere down the road, a lot of the ethic about sound quality has been lost.

The Audiophile world and the Pro Audio world has been at odds for quite some time. On the one hand, there is a group that feels if it is better, you should be able to prove it with measurements, and that the Audiophile market is mostly marketing and snake oil. On the other side, Audiophile types tend to turn their noses up at cheap stuff, and even take an additude that cheap components are unproffesional.

Where I think it gets lost on us as a whole, is that for a cable to pass "Audiophile" standards, it MUST perform. That means it should actually SOUND better. And the ONLY way to know that is to listen to it and see if it does or doesn't. The typical guitar consumer or Pro Audio guy expects to be able to just buy something over the counter and have it BE better.

I go on and on about this because I want to ask what I feel is the only REAL question: Which cables have have you used or tried that SOUND better?

I been using one of these for a long time. I got it when it was relatively new, and they were going for like 75 dollars for a 20 foot. I had driven long time to look at a couple newish Larivee guitars, didn't have many around here back then. I passed on the guitars, but was interested in the cables they had all packaged up. He was having great trouble giving them away. I got one for thirty dollars out the door, haven't ever used anything else for a gig since. Samson Armoured Cable. I don't think they made them much after the 90s.

1827-0s.jpg

rct

I know this topic has been discussed ad naseum but I just wanted to share something I think a lot of you can benefit from.

Before Monster Cables were around you could but a good cable for a reasonable price. I have a cable that is at least 20 years old and is still working well with no noise at all. Monster cable came out with quality cables but the price was outrageous. Some of you may not be old enough to remember the pre-monster days. Soon aferwards most quality cables raised their price to ridiculous levels. I recently purchased one of Monster's cheaper cables the Standard 100. Paid like $30 for 12'. What a piece of crap! The thing died on me after a few months and I did not even use it ouside my living room. I realize this is their cheapest cable but still 30 bucks for 12 feet ain't cheap.

Today I received delivery of two South Creek cables a 10' for $9.45 and a 20' for $11.45. I was blown away by the quality of these cables so far. Gold plated ends, totally silent, and just screams quality.

I can see they will last a long time from just inspecting how they are made and how they sound.

My point is that you owe it to yourself to give these bad boys a try and see how they measure against your current cable. They would have to fail 4x before you reached the price of a Monster. I am not picking on Monster just that they are well known and make a good example of overpriced stuff.

I am not trolling just want to pass on a great deal that you may not be aware of.

South Creek Audio Cables

Just clicked on the South Creek link. These look like good quality cables, and I'll order a couple 20' s.

I've used many different cables over the years - some expensive and some not. I've never been able to hear a difference in 20' cables. I'm not a fan of Monster cables; I don't have a problem with their quality, but they are not very flexible and can be a nuisance on stage. Turn around a few times, and they twist, coil up, and just get in the way. I have 3 Monster cables (yep- I bought into the hype), and I do use one between the pedal-board and the amp, but I use a good flexible cloth-braided cable from the bass to the pedal-board. I'll stay with durable well-made cables, and pass on the expensive "sounds better" cables. I just can't hear the difference. [unsure]

The best all-rounder I've tried is George L's, the thin stuff. The push-fit jacks are o.k. but nothing beats a good solder joint. I recently made up patch cables for my fx board and found I still had some very thin cable with a lot of copper in - sounds great. I'd rather maintain those than have to buy new molded ones now.

The most expensive guitar cable I have is a Pete Cornish 'silver series' heavy-duty uni-directional cable which cost me 50 quid....the only Pete Cornish product I could ever afford! It isn't any clearer to my ears than George L's but it really is dead quiet, nil interference, and if there is any faulty wiring at all in my guitars it will bring it out. Strange but true. I have Planet Waves too - had no problems, but had a Klotz which failed quite quickly.

I think 'audiophile' cables are designed to pass as much bandwidth as possible. This isn't so important with guitar cables which probably top out at 12-15khz, I don't know. What bandwidth does a pickup have? Searcy will have the answer to this one!

As for silver - the best conductor of electricity - for example, the Keeley comp has some silver wiring inside...so if you have that (and I do) the rest of your wiring chain needs to be pretty good too!

Great topic!

It's too bad nobody in Canada seems to sell South Creek. I would gladly give them a try. I have a few Monster cables and have no complaints (other than price). They're fairly thick and feel well made. I also bought a few Evidence Audio cables not too long ago. Those are bloody expensive. Great but expensive.

It's too bad nobody in Canada seems to sell South Creek. I would gladly give them a try. I have a few Monster cables and have no complaints (other than price). They're fairly thick and feel well made. I also bought a few Evidence Audio cables not too long ago. Those are bloody expensive. Great but expensive.

Buy them direct. They do ship to Canada now. At the price these go for it's worth it giving them a try. You will not be disapointed.

Hi Cowboy Billy Bob,I believe that you've gotten your wires cossed-no pun intended-I wasn't dumping on your choice of cables,in fact my intention was quite the opposite.I meant that the average guitarist who doesn't gig or just stays at home and jams with friends,doesn't need to go through the expense of high-end cables such as Monster and such as the only real discernable differences are the reliability and durability.I bought mid-priced Road-Hog cables because I needed something that could withstand the rigours of gigging.After over 20 years the Road-Hogs are still working as new.

There are lots of high quality cables being made these days that are every bit as good and dependable as a lot of the top-shelf brands.As Consumers Reports has found Monster cables are really good cables but there are many others of similar quality and performance that are much much cheaper.

Thanks for the heads up on those, I'll have to check them out sometime. I had a monster cable they gave me with one of my amps, it was ok but it made my sound a bit too bright for my taste. Grabbed a couple 15' of these last year, absolutely love them and rock solid: http://www.thedivinenoise.com/divine-noise-straight-cable.html

From the specs they sound like a good quality cable BUT.. It's like $50 for 10'. That is a rip off. The Silver Creek cables are just as good and at $9.45 for 10' makes them a no-brainer.

Hi Cowboy Billy Bob,I believe that you've gotten your wires cossed-no pun intended-I wasn't dumping on your choice of cables,in fact my intention was quite the opposite.I meant that the average guitarist who doesn't gig or just stays at home and jams with friends,doesn't need to go through the expense of high-end cables such as Monster and such as the only real discernable differences are the reliability and durability.I bought mid-priced Road-Hog cables because I needed something that could withstand the rigours of gigging.After over 20 years the Road-Hogs are still working as new.

There are lots of high quality cables being made these days that are every bit as good and dependable as a lot of the top-shelf brands.As Consumers Reports has found Monster cables are really good cables but there are many others of similar quality and performance that are much much cheaper.

I am sorry if I came off the wrong way. It was not my intention. I used to play out a lot so I know the value of a quality durable cable. What I AM saying is that you do not need to pay the prices of Monster like cables and that I woud put these South Creek cables against any of them in that regard.

I am starting to feel like a troll and that is not my intention either. Buy one of them (they are cheap enough to gamble on) and see for yourself why I am so excited about them.

There are quite a few of these internet cable-selling operations now. The original buyer gets a lifetime warranty, which is great - as long as the maker stays in business. Take a quick look at this one, in the u.k. -

http://bassic-bits.co.uk/

It's not a 'pro' web page but....he buys jacks and cable in bulk, there's some mark-up on that and then you are paying for the soldering and postage. They can't be making that much money. So it's probably not cheaper than store-bought but it should be much higher quality and you have the warranty. I say more power to these guys.

Archived