Gibson Brands Forums

Martin guys are usually the worst....lol

onewilyfool

M's hidden price is currently $2,736, just recently went up plus just went up about a year ago.

I've bought from him in the past also. Great to deal with, I wish he carried Gibson.

I recently found a decent one 10 yrs old on ebay for $1800. Love it.

The 000-28EC value falls too much, so I did not want to buy a new one.

I think Maury's sells these NEW for $2400.....this is just too funny:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/3296697605.html

Wily - I got a quote from Maury for about $2400+change when I bought mine. That was March of 2010 so I would guess the $2700 is closer to what the lowest actual selling price is today. Either way we are picking nits and $3300 for gently used is WTF? Of course mine is one of the many new Martin Guitars that has developed "Whisker" cracks in the finish that radiate from the bridge. Guess Martin has been allowing the Bridge to slightly overlap the finish when they glue them on and have had a huge problem with these. I guess I could return it for possible warranty refinish....but probably won't bother. Have been hearing a lot of bad comments on Martin Customer Service too.

Wonder if the $3300 includes these since his picture doesn't show any details....

000_28ECbridge2.jpg

000_28ECbridge.jpg

But this price is not MAP. It is the "hidden price" - the one you get if you email him a price quote (40% off MSRP. I bookmark it.

The $3499 is MAP, according to both Maury's website and Musician's Friend, and the MSRP is $4599 according to MF, making the MAP about 24% off MSRP (which is right). This would make Maury's standard 40%-off discounted price about $2759 so Dave's report is plausible. Anyway, $2400 isn't enough above Maury's cost to make much sense, unless he's stuck with one he wanted to unload or something -- that must just be an outdated price.

-- Bob R

I played one of these at a Martin seminar a while back. I was not impressed with it at all. The action was typical Martin...quite high and very "stiff" feeling. The tone was nothing great either. I think the Clapton name is the main reason for the price being what it is. It sure can't be the quality of the instrument or its tone.

What? WHAT? How dare you... the lot of you.... I'll find names, addresses, your childrens schools.....

Oops, sorry... thought I was on UMGF or AGF for a minute there..... as you were....

Haha. This is nothing. Spanisheyes (new AJ, posted his nice tune on here yesterday) also has a post on UMGF (different name, but same new AJ and nice tune), in which he dares to state that he might sell his 00015M because the AJ is so much better!

I've tried to join that Martin forum several times and nobody ever gets back with me. Finally I gave up. I don't own a Martin anymore so I could care less now. I figure anywhere that hard to get into I don't belong anyway.

I play around the AGF quite a bit though. I posted a thread about upgrading the Standard D28 to forward shifted bracing like they did the 2012 D18. I thought the place was gonna come unglued. I'd love to have a plane Jane D28 with the HD28V bracing. I guess they figure if you want pre war bracing you better get used to a V neck. Not for me. I'll keep my AJ

This model is available at the Martin dealer here in Prague, where I bought my 00-15. Very disappointed with this guitar, or this particular specimen. Looks a million dollars, sounds like $50 laminate job. Just no life or resonance. From what Ive read this model is very hit n' miss, there are some that seem to be very good but from what I read on the AGF the vast majority are way below par.

Pity as it is agreat looking Martin, but I would rather buy a Furch rosewood OM for a third of the price and signficantly stronger tone.

Yeah, I purchased an EC model last year, had it a week and took it back. Just didn't like the tone. Playability was a wee bit rough too.

Now I do like my no frills 12 string Martin, I have had good luck with that instrument.

I bought a 2007 000-28 EC in nearly-pristine condition last year for $2100. It had one small scratch, which Ross Teigen buffed out 90% for me.

The guitar sounds good, but I'm not a fan of Martin-style narrow frets when it comes to my playing style. Having said that, I pulled it out a couple of weeks ago to "refresh my memory", and found it more user-friendly now that I am starting to finger-pick. I think it is pretty string-sensitive.

It has been about 4 years sinse I actually shopped for accoustics, but I don't recall EVER seeing that model for sale anywhere for over 3k.

If the price has gone up that much, I don't know why it would. That is a lot of money as a price increase when the economy and guitar sales in general have tanked.

I do get the humor of "it's usually the Martin guys", but in reality, THOSE type of guys that want to overprice their personal guitars are common. And there are lots who want to believe that because they bought at a discount, they got lucky and can sell the guitar for more. And there are guys that buy into the "investment" of all guitars going up in value. And, there are guys who think that if it is "like" new, it is "still" new.

I think what amazes me is that MOST poeple who want to sell something think that is a store is selling a used item for X amount, it means they can sell it privately for X amount. Going to someones house at THEIR convenience and choosing to play the one guitar they have for sale is not the same service as going to a store when you want and picking and choosing. That's why private party is LESS than retail.

So, you have to make it clear in your ad. "Unless you are willing to pay an inflated price by a cool grand, and do ME a favor by coming to MY house to buy it, don't call. I don't have the time".

So, you have to make it clear in your ad. "Unless you are willing to pay an inflated price by a cool grand, and do ME a favor by coming to MY house to buy it, don't call. I don't have the time".

'I've got a trashcan of styrofoam peanuts

You can have 'em for free

You can come by on the weekend and pick 'em up from me

But the trash can ain't part of the deal

Only giving you the peanuts, get real'

CRAIGSLIST...

The POINT I was trying to make, IS, that this guy is almost asking LIST for his guitar, and if you went on our local craigslist, you would find 20 more Martin owners trying to sell their used guitars just under list or well above what you can get it at Maury's. FYI.....I owned one of these EC's a while ago, and after trying about 20 at various stores in our area finally found one that sounded amazing, even with dud strings. The rest were amazingly bass challenged, one at GC needed a neck reset right out of the box. I like the look of these, but the guitar architecture just doesn't make for a great sound. Nodehopper got a good sounding one, but you have to be careful with these. Such is the power of a celebrity name, they have sold over 7000 of them, but I don't know why. That $2400 price was from Nodehopper, almost two years ago, I'm surprised that the price has gone up $300 in such a short time with the economy the way it is.......hmmmmmmm........so this guy is only $500 over the cost of a new one, with free shipping, and a lifetime warranty......lol.....still ridiculous....

The POINT I was trying to make, IS, that this guy is almost asking LIST for his guitar, and if you went on our local craigslist, you would find 20 more Martin owners trying to sell their used guitars just under list or well above what you can get it at Maury's. FYI.....I owned one of these EC's a while ago, and after trying about 20 at various stores in our area finally found one that sounded amazing, even with dud strings. The rest were amazingly bass challenged, one at GC needed a neck reset right out of the box. I like the look of these, but the guitar architecture just doesn't make for a great sound. Nodehopper got a good sounding one, but you have to be careful with these. Such is the power of a celebrity name, they have sold over 7000 of them, but I don't know why. That $2400 price was from Nodehopper, almost two years ago, I'm surprised that the price has gone up $300 in such a short time with the economy the way it is.......hmmmmmmm........so this guy is only $500 over the cost of a new one, with free shipping, and a lifetime warranty......lol.....still ridiculous....

And the moral of the tale is:

Some may get lucky here and there, but most of us get pissed

When we go shopping for guitars on stupid old Craigslist.

Perrault would give us an alternative moral, so here goes:

If you have a Martin that sounds crap and live around the Bay

Join the SF-CF cartel - you're sure to make it pay.

I mean, if everybody fixes their price as high as the one naive buyer/seller who thinks his Martin is still worth what he paid for it (over the odds in the first place), then there are no s/h bargains to be had. Evidently these chaps are not looking for a quick sale though, and just want to offload poor guitars if they can. They don't really need to, they just want to. The question then is how easily Maury's can keep up with demand for cheaper new Claptons. Which comes down to how easily Martin can keep up with demand through that channel, and how willing they are to keep their prices below 3K when there is such demand. Interesting to watch what happens. But if there is demand at the level you cite (I think 7K and counting is a lot for one model, especially an expensive one only released in 1996), then I wouldn't be surprized if Martin didn't continue to bump the price up by 300 USD every year or so. At some point they'll catch up with the guys currently on Clist and bingo, they'll sell at the price they want.

I've given up on the logic of supply and demand. Where I live, a vast number of properties are for sale (sometimes one in three seems no exaggeration). They remain for sale for years. Many have been for sale for three years at least, and the number of properties that have been on the market for over a year keeps on growing. The prices of property here do not seem to fall significantly, however. They remain expensive relative to typical salaries, and even relative to what constitutes a good salary here. So their failure to sell indicates that they are overpriced, but somehow the expected reduction in price that the law of supply and demand dictates does not occur. Evidently nobody really needs to sell their house here. In fact many of them stand empty, so there is no desperation to sell in order to move. Few of them are to let either. Rents are low relative to house prices, but for people who have moved through necessity and can't sell yet, even a small rental income is better than nothing. So it can't be a case of people leaving, not selling fast because they need to maximize return in order to buy elsewhere, and then letting to minimize loss of income. They just seem to be extra houses that people don't like and want to offload. But apparently the sellers' desire to offload does not outweigh their greed. So prices just remain unrealistically high, and nobody can shift the houses. Meanwhile new houses do get built, and some of our friends definitely did better in financial terms by purchasing land and having an architect-designed house built on it. But not many new houses get built, and presumably their cost will rise if demand for them does. At that point old houses may look more attractive at current levels. Evidently the sale of Martins round Wily's way is subject to the same skewed logic. [confused]

Overpriced is why I bought mine used.

I had to adjust the neck and work the saddle to my preference but it's one of my favorites. It's about 12 years old and has opened up real nice.

As far as prices going up, I think everyone has. I was seriously thinking about a J200 a couple years ago and could have got a new one for about $2400.

I finally decided to do it this years and had to pay $3k while the MAP was around $3900.

Wish I didn't hesitate a couple years ago.

Seems like all the Martin signature models are overpriced and do not hold their value.

Archived