Gibson Brands Forums

Greg Koch workshop .... worth going to ?

EuroAussie

In my local guitar shop next to my work Fender is putting on a 3 hour guitar workshop with Greg Kock this Friday afternoon.

Its for about 3 hours and its free. Im not familiar with his work and was wondering if it will be a whole bunch of shredding or something that us acoustic types could find enjoyable and worthwhile.

He's that whacky guy from those Music Villa sample vids, isnt he ?

What do you reckon, worth going to or not ?

His parents declined the opportunity to adorn him with the forename Nobby... Best guess is they just have no sense of humour at all....

That's so unfair. What you don't realize is that he has a whole range of second names: Simon Philip Ogden Travis. Initially his name is very funny.

Is sombody going to answer the question .... lads, lads, lads ... :rolleyes:

Well OK. I enjoy his acoustic videos for Wildwood. He plays well, and he tends to show the qualities of the acoustics off reasonably well. He talks a lot and thinks he's hilarious. Perhaps he's not as hilarious as he thinks. But he's not utterly unfunny. It's a bit like watching Penn Jillette. His approach to magic is impressive, he is quite funny, but he has a big gob and sometimes you wish he'd shut up. At least Penn and Greg both give a decent amount of airtime to their respective arts, though. I think he knows that he has to entertain, so overdoes it a bit. Rather that than listening to Bob Taylor talking about tonewoods if you ask me (another Wildwood video). If I have one criticism of Mr Koch's playing, it's that he never really does full-on fingerpicking or finger strumming, he either strums with a pick or does flatpick and fingers stuff. It sounds great, gives you a really good sense of a what the guitar is capable of in a variety of settings, but you never know how good the bass would sound if not hit hard by a pick. He's also a bit electric in his acoustic playing, but it's not too masturbatory. I've only seen a couple of his electric videos. They seemed just fine to me - same amount of chatter, but plenty of playing. It matters less what a Gibson Midtown sounds like fingerpicked without a pick, even if I might be interested to know. The real question is, if it's a Fender workshop, are you really interested? Chances are he won't be talking about their acoustics. So the opportunities for pleasuring himself via the fretboard are greater, I fear. Anyway, I think the answers you are getting would suggest that none of us has experienced his work in person. You've seen the videos too. What do you reckon?

Cheers Mojo ....personally I think he's a bit full of himself and I often cringe at those wildwood vids, but if the workshop is a 5 min walk from work, without cost and I can leave at any time its probably worth a peek. The good thing is that he will not be speaking to English native speakers, so he will need to tone down his 'delivery' which hopefully will make it a bit more palatable.

Cheers Mojo ....personally I think he's a bit full of himself and I often cringe at those wildwood vids, but if the workshop is a 5 min walk from work, without cost and I can leave at any time its probably worth a peek. The good thing is that he will not be speaking to English native speakers, so he will need to tone down his 'delivery' which hopefully will make it a bit more palatable.

Yeah, but he might do more of his gurning to make up for it. I can live with his 'crazy', 'larger than life', 'so arrogant it's funny', 'wacky, wacky, wacky' persona, and the gurning, but fully admit it's not why I enjoy the Wildwood vids - that's to do with the fact that he gives the guitars a reasonable workout and doesn't spend half a year telling me to sign up for Acoustic Newsletter or whatever it's called (the only real presentational downside to Tony Thingy from Music Villa). The schtick is what it is, not my thing either, but I don't find it offensive. Can see why you might though. Anyway, he might not be used to talking to Czechs, and might either be irritatingly slow in delivery or might do too much of the facial nonsense. I would hope he does more playing, and keeps it tasteful (some parts of some vids suggest that he really can). Tony Thingy strikes me as more of an acoustic player, and I always find him tasteful. Just wish he'd hit the bass strings a bit harder with his thumb when fingerpicking (he's the opposite of GK on that front). And I wish his contract didn't oblige him to tell us to sign up for the newsletter thing. Much better on his 00015M vid where he makes a gag about coffee mugs. That softens the compulsory marketing stuff. But I'd still go and check out Greg if he was just next door. Don't heckle, though. I suspect he might be a master of the unsubtle, but effective put-down.

Yeah, I prefer Tony from music villa, but I just wish he would realise that the world doesnt revolve around bluegrass these days. My far and away favourite guitar clips are from Soundpure. The sound quality is oustanding and they just play the things, such as this example.

EA, I recommend going, Greg puts on a hell of a show. he's a great guitar player and funny.

you will learn some new licks, and a new joke or two

I'd go. he seems a tad eccentric but he sure can play.

So just returned from Gregs workshop.

Have to say if it was great fun and very entertaining. His personality might be annoying when doing straight guitar reviews like on MusicVilla ( I mean WildWood) but for a workshop its perfect. He's a great entertainer and gets the balance right between being a clown and basically demo guy for Fender.

Oustanding guitarist, just quite brilliant, in particular with his chicken pickin' approach.

He essentially demoed a Fender amp and played mostly his own Tele (pictured) which sounded oustanding, crunchy, thick and honest. By far my favourite Fender. Also played a custom shop Strat that was on sale but only for a short while as its clear that he favours Teles. The Strate sounded pretty average and thin when compared to the Tele.

He did some chicken pickin' demo and lessons, took some Q&A and overall was a very friendly, fun guy, definitely glad I went for a couple hours on a Friday afternoon.

The only thing with these workshops when conducted by the masters is that its a combination of inspriation and depression. Imspring in terms of what can be done, depressing when you realise just how much you have to learn still.

Anyway, if he comes to your part of town I highly recommend it, even when its all electric focused.

Here's a pic.

Ea

IMG00044-20121005-1410.jpg

Archived