Gibson Brands Forums

Intonation problem when using Capo.

EuroAussie

Folks, Ive noticed that on my HB TV when I capo up i need to retune to get it back to pitch. Usually the low E and one or two other strings are rather significantly out of pitch (by about 15-20% relative to next half tone.

When I take the capo off I need to make the adjustment again when bsck in standard tuning.

Anybody have an idea what could be the problem and how to fix it, as this is a bit of a concern ..

cheers,

EA

Folks, Ive noticed that on my HB TV when I capo up i need to retune to get it back to pitch. Usually the low E and one or two other strings are rather significantly out of pitch (by about 15-20% relative to next half tone.

When I take the capo off I need to make the adjustment again when bsck in standard tuning.

Anybody have an idea what could be the problem and how to fix it, as this is a bit of a concern ..

cheers,

EA

15-20% lower or higher in pitch ?

FWIW ...I really stretch my strings out when new and find I have zero issues with tuning. I am on and off the capo all the time on my HB TV.

i find that the "spring loaded" capos can pull the strings sharp (esp the lower, larger strings) When I use my Shubb and only tighten it enough so the strings aren't buzzing, I can eliminate the problem.

Not sure what capo you use, but some can be over tight and cause problems on certain guitars (the larger the frets the more they can be pulled out of tune).

RB

yeah, me too . all my guitars have had that happen . you dont notice it happen on any others EA?

kyser capos , especially newish ones with stiff springs are the worst it happens to a lesser degree with a shubb , paige or G7th capos , but still a little bit out as you say especially the low E .

i'd be really interested if there was a cure to this because i always assumed it was just the way it is !

Thanks guys, your comments helped a lot.

The intonation prblem does happen more when I have the Bird' tuned down half a step and when using a Dunlop Trigger (spring) capo.

I tried this time with a Shubb capo I normally use on stage, placed it very close to the fret and it seems to be much better.

Im guessing the nature of the Dunlop capo, coupled with the looser strings being half a step down contributed to this.

you'll see some folk with the shubb capo on upside down ( depending on how you view that ) ie , with the 'open' end of the capo at the lowE . that apparently helps . and i've also seen a capo put on slightly askew , as in not running along side the fret , sometimes thats just sloppiness but i know one guy who says it helps

I might try that BBG as while I like the subtle look of the Shubb (especially when on stage, doesnt stick out like sore thumb) but I find that you need to really put it on precisely or often not enough pressure can be applied or you miss one of the E strings a bit, and then youre in buzz hell ....

you'll see some folk with the shubb capo on upside down ( depending on how you view that ) ie , with the 'open' end of the capo at the lowE . that apparently helps . and i've also seen a capo put on slightly askew , as in not running along side the fret , sometimes thats just sloppiness but i know one guy who says it helps

I might try that BBG as while I like the subtle look of the Shubb (especially when on stage, doesnt stick out like sore thumb) but I find that you need to really put it on precisely or often not enough pressure can be applied or you miss one of the E strings a bit, and then youre in buzz hell ....

almost every capo has its cons , the kyser style , if less care is taken can pull the strings sideways slightly also ...

just remembered that the guy i play with sometimes always buys 12 string shubbs , likes extra length of it

Archived