Gibson Brands Forums

Old SG Serial Number

max2343

A 6 digit serial number with the words "Made In USA" below tells you it is from the early to mid 1970's. The 600000 series numbers were used from 1970-1972 and 1974-1975. Not sure why 1973 got left out of the mix.

From the info provided, here's what I SUSPECT about this guitar:

It started off as a '71-'73 SG "Professional", with P-90 pickups, a Bigsby and a raised Les Paul type pickguard. The pickups were changed to humbuckers (a very common 70's modification), which required body routing and the addition of the "modified" bat-wing pickguard. After removal of the Bigsby, the stop-tail was then installed, and the tuning machines were changed to Grovers (another common 70's mod).

From looking at the control plate, there was an extra switch at one time, probably a "coil splitting" switch, which would mean the pickups are NOT Gibsons, but most likely DiMarzios (another common 70's mod).

You wouldn't believe the mods we used to do to guitars back then!

From the info provided, here's what I SUSPECT about this guitar:

It started off as a '71-'73 SG "Professional", with P-90 pickups, a Bigsby and a raised Les Paul type pickguard. The pickups were changed to humbuckers (a very common 70's modification), which required body routing and the addition of the "modified" bat-wing pickguard. After removal of the Bigsby, the stop-tail was then installed, and the tuning machines were changed to Grovers (another common 70's mod).

From looking at the control plate, there was an extra switch at one time, probably a "coil splitting" switch, which would mean the pickups are NOT Gibsons, but most likely DiMarzios (another common 70's mod).

You wouldn't believe the mods we used to do to guitars back then!

I am humbled. Nice call, I wish I could have put all that together like that, it's all true stuff that I never thought of anyone doing alla that to one guitar. Awesome detective work, detective.

rct

The Extra hole looks to of been another Input jack for a Stereo Effect for running it into 2 Amps. If you look close u can see the old nut Impression. Their was no metion at all of any Hogging out material.body under the pickgaurd

...Their was no metion at all of any Hogging out material.body under the pickgaurd...

This is just a guess....

The P-90s in the SG Pro had pickup surrounds. It's possible that the bodies of the three guitars in the range had identical routing - big enough for the 'buckers used on the Standard - to reduce costs. If so then the surrounds would have covered the larger than neccessary (for P-90s) cavities and no adaptation of the bodywork would be required in order to fit humbuckers.

Anyone with a P-90 equipped type-3 SG out there who can shed light?..................:-k

P.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Farnsbarns

The Extra hole looks to of been another Input jack for a Stereo Effect for running it into 2 Amps. If you look close u can see the old nut Impression. Their was no metion at all of any Hogging out material.body under the pickgaurd

I wouldn't want to guess the purpose of the extra hole but do bare in mind that the switches generally used for these additions would also have been held down by a nut.

This is just a guess....

The P-90s in the SG Pro had pickup surrounds. It's possible that the bodies of the three guitars in the range had identical routing - big enough for the 'buckers used on the Standard - to reduce costs. If so then the surrounds would have covered the larger than neccessary (for P-90s) cavities and no adaptation of the bodywork would be required in order to fit humbuckers.

Anyone with a P-90 equipped type-3 SG out there who can shed light?..................:-k

P.

That sounds reasonable, I'd be interested to find out.

Archived