Gibson Brands Forums

Hog Wild!!

Californiaman

This is tragic.

To be eaten by your own hogs.

How ironic is that?

Looks like the tables have turned.

Here's the story from another news co. Or you can click on the link above.

COOS BAY, OR (KPTV) -

An Oregon man trying to feed his 700-pound hogs was eaten by the animals Thursday, and sheriff's deputies are trying to determine what led up to his death.

Terry Garner, who lived near the rural town of Riverton in southern Oregon, went to feed the animals on his farm at 7:30 a.m.

When he wasn't seen for several hours, a family member went to look for him, and found Garner's dentures on the ground in front of the hog enclosure, which housed several of the animals.

While searching the hog enclosure, the family member found Garner's body in several pieces, with a majority of it consumed by the hogs, the district attorney said.

Now deputies are investigating how Garner ended up in a position where the hogs were able to eat him.

District Attorney Paul Frasier said there are a number of possible scenarios, including one in which Garner suffered a heart attack. Another possible scenario is that given Garner's age and health, the hogs were able to knock him down and kill him. Frasier said there have been reports that at least one of the hogs had been aggressive toward Garner in the past.

Because of the unusual circumstances surrounding Garner's death, detectives haven't ruled out foul play.

A forensic pathologist examined what little was left of Garner's body over the weekend, but was not able to identify the cause or manner of death.

For now, Garner's cause of death is listed as undetermined, and his remains will be further examined by a forensic anthropologist at the University of Oregon.

Copyright 2012 KPTV (Meredith Corporation.) All rights reserved.

I'm just glad the bacon shortage is over.

I ALWAYS assume anything weighing 700 pounds is going to try to eat me, and arm myself accordingly.

Just sayin'.......

They actually had a similar story on "1000 Ways to Die" or a show like that. I have NO use for pigs. I hate 'em. I think back on years ago when they had to make sure the farmhouses had gates around them because otherwise the hogs could get into the house and eat human babies.

I friggin' hate those disgusting things. But I loooooove bacon!

All kidding aside, any hog farmer knows the danger of the critters.

I know of several cases of hogs eating an older farmer who had a heart attack and fell while feeding pigs.

And anyone who doesn't realize a boar can be a real killing machine doesn't know anything about animals.

m

I don't know how to feel about this.

If the pigs were treated well I feel bad, if they were not treated well, go pigs.

I don't eat pigs. It makes me feel strange. Cow yes, if treated well. Chikens make me feel bad too.

I don't even trust armadillos let alone a piggie.

The hogs weight in at 700lbs. each. Seems they were taken care of, having been around a few of those beast I can tell you they are not your friend. But then, horse's and cattle can put the hurt on you too. The first rule is never name a animal you plan to eat. Second rule, never enter a hog pen without a weapon, those tusk are not hat racks, they are weapons and they know how to use them, never, ever, feed one by hand, just toss the feed over the fence, my uncle learned that the hard way, in the flash of an eye his 450lb hog sank his tusk through the skin of his arm, right to the bone and was trying to pull him through the wood slats of the fence, he had hooked him with a tusk., and was going to kill him. It took a well placed blow to the head with a hammer to save him. And no, the hog didn't carry a grudge. He wasn't butchered till he got to 700lbs. He tasted like bacon, not chicken.

Funny thing about hogs is the way that their entire physiology seems to change when they become feral. What town folk might think is a nice piggie in the pen can turn in a year or so into a very obviously wild critter. They're omnivores and are happy being so.

Archived