Gibson Brands Forums

Update on Hummingbird Pick Guard

iwalktheline

hey guys, just wanted to let some of you know what happened with my pick guard issue from a few weeks back. I had written that I ordered a replacement guard and put it on the hummingbird only to have it start pulling up at some of the corners. I had asked which glue or method I should use in order to fix the guard. Most said use double sided tape which I really wanted to use but, again I couldn't figure out how to do it since it was only parts of the corners sticking up. Well, I looked up online and came across a glue called titebond wood glue. It's supposed to be safe on all wood surfaces so I wanted to try it out. Before I attempted this I called the guy I take my guitars to and he said his first choice would have been to use the double sided tape as well but, understood that I wasn't able to get a good grasp on the corners in order to put the proper piece of tape on. He said he used and still uses titebond on his guitars because I doesn't harm the wood surface. He mainly uses it for the bridge but said a small amount could be used for under the pick guard in case I needed to take it off again. He suggested getting a tiny drop on the corner of a pick and simply applying it to the underpart of the guard so that when you push it down it will stick. Again, let me say I did not want to go this route but, unless I wanted to pay someone to probably take the entire guard off again I had no choice. So, I did as I was told. I only put the smallest of small dops on the corner of a pick on 3 parts of the guard.....she's intact and hasn't lifted a bit. In all, I think it went well and there should not be any more issues. [thumbup] I hope this is the last time I have to write about this friggin guard...... ](*,)

Its good when ideas work ! Glad you did not have to resort to using sheetrock screws :)

yes it is, this topic and issue has exhausted me....I hate myself for being so picky about this guitar but, I couldn't quit until I had her fixed. In the end she is a beauty and my #1

I just have to take her for a setup and a compensated saddle.

Archived