Gibson Brands Forums

Tito's Handmade Vodka DR-100

DennisB643

So I won this new guitar on ebay, a customized Tito's handmade vodka DR-100 acoustic (signed by Tito himeslf), and thought it would look cool hanging on the wall in my bar but guess what? I started playing it and for being a DR-100, it has a really good sound and it plays easily. Having recently purchased a Masterbilt DR-500MCE, I am genuinely impressed with the sound of the DR-100. It has a louder brassier sound than the Masterbilt, and although you can certainly feel the difference in quality, I'm more than satisfied. Needless to say it hasn't made it up onto the wall yet. I did some searching and have only found one other one on the internet. Does anyone else know anything about these guitars? I know they have electrics available for sale at the site currently, but no acoustics.

• 4 weeks later...

TitosHandmadeVodka.jpg

So I won this new guitar on ebay, a customized Tito's handmade vodka DR-100 acoustic (signed by Tito himeslf), and thought it would look cool hanging on the wall in my bar but guess what? I started playing it and for being a DR-100, it has a really good sound and it plays easily. Having recently purchased a Masterbilt DR-500MCE, I am genuinely impressed with the sound of the DR-100. It has a louder brassier sound than the Masterbilt, and although you can certainly feel the difference in quality, I'm more than satisfied. Needless to say it hasn't made it up onto the wall yet. I did some searching and have only found one other one on the internet. Does anyone else know anything about these guitars? I know they have electrics available for sale at the site currently, but no acoustics.

So here's what it looks like. This a picture of a similar one on ebay now starting at $150.

These guitars started to appear a couple of years back. It had something to do with a partnership with Gibson to raise money for the Grammy Foundation's music archiving and preservation program. I have never seen a new DR100EB with the Tito's logo slathered across it but have run across a couple of used ones so maybe they are no longer offering it.

I also have a Masterbilt DR-500MCE and love it....Just the other day I played a DR-100 just to see how it played. I was very impressed with its tone and sound and action. It was bright and brassier than the MB like you said, and I liked its sound. I almost bought it! But I need another guitar like a hole in the head (I have six). Yours is a great looking guitar to hang on the wall. And since I am assuming it is laminated and not solid wood like your Masterbilt, it is probably a bit safer to hang on the wall. However even there, I don't believe allowing any guitar to remain un-humidified for long periods of time is a good thing, and I would take that into account if you want to keep its playability at the best level.

• 1 month later...

I also have a Masterbilt DR-500MCE and love it....Just the other day I played a DR-100 just to see how it played. I was very impressed with its tone and sound and action. It was bright and brassier than the MB like you said, and I liked its sound. I almost bought it! But I need another guitar like a hole in the head (I have six). Yours is a great looking guitar to hang on the wall. And since I am assuming it is laminated and not solid wood like your Masterbilt, it is probably a bit safer to hang on the wall. However even there, I don't believe allowing any guitar to remain un-humidified for long periods of time is a good thing, and I would take that into account if you want to keep its playability at the best level.

I thought about the humidity level and the issue of hanging them on the wall. Jury is still out on that. The DR has a thinner neck, which I find more comfortable than the Masterbilt. For the price, the DR is a great value IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

ya that is pretty cool. I hear the commercials about Tito's vodka and how it beat all other vodkas in a competition but I have yet to try it. Anyway I have a PR-100 from many years ago and I always just assumed it's the same as the DR-100 just a diff name now. Anyway ya it was set up perfectly and sounds pretty nice for a $100 guitar. I even put 13's on mine and it holds up just fine.

• 8 years later...