Gibson Brands Forums

1998 Epi Chet Atkins Nylon Has Annoying Hum

Hi....Anybody have any suggestions or quick fixes to stop the annoying hum on my 1998 Chet Atkins Nylon Classical Guitar?...It goes away if I touch the output jack or the control cover (Both are metal)....I know they have tape/paint etc...for that sort of thing but maybe someone knows about some other wiring fixes etc...Any help is appreciated, Thank You!!!

It does sound like one of two things.

If you're on a tube amp, you might try switching the polarity.

If not... or if that doesn't help, it would likely then be a ground problem in the guitar. I don't know the specific wiring. I'd try probably to find a decent repair guy to figure it.

Also, you might wanna ask yourself if it always had been that way or just started doing it. Same or different amp? Etc.

m

Thanks m for the reply....I just acquired the guitar so I don't know how long it has been doing it. It does the same thing with different amps or plugged straight into a digital recorder. It's definitly a ground problem I would say. From what I've found out is that these guitars are noted for hum problems...I guess I'll have to have it checked out....Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Kenny...

<chortle>

Ever consider speaking English?

Seriously, your description of the cure for hum sounds great. I'd wanna take it very slowly and carefully, myself. Others? I'd go back to recommending perhaps a printout of your comment plus a trip to a decent guitar repair person.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

A hint... due to the various platforms on which folks may be reading this stuff, you may wanna consider much shorter paragraphs with a space between. It appears you have much to offer - and the easier it is to read, the more valuable.

m

• 5 years later...

Hello, (my first post)

I realize that this is an older thread, but in case someone else does a search and finds it, like I did, I would like to add a reply. I recently bought a used Epiphone Chet Atkins CE and as the original poster stated, there is an annoying hum. The hum would go away when you touched the jack plate. I knew this had to be a grounding problem so I went searching for a remedy. This is how I fixed mine and now it is quite as a mouse. I drilled a small hole (1/16 or an inch) in the metal 9v battery holder near the edge and ran a small wire through it and looped the wire back around and twisted it to itself then soldered this so the wire would remain in contact with the metal battery holder. Solder will not stick to the metal battery holder, not even using flux. I don't know what type metal the holder is, but this is the reason I drilled the hole and just looped the wire around and twisted it to itself. I then soldered the other end of the wire to the negative wire (black) on the square pin block that the piezo plugs into. Just to be clear I am talking about soldering it to the black wire that comes out of pin block and goes to the preamp board, not the black shielded wire that comes from the piezo. This completely removed all hum from the guitar. I hope this helps someone.

Kenny

Edit: I have taken a picture of where to solder the wire and drawn 2 arrows to show each end of the wire. Hope this helps.

Link to picture:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-cYxYdF23EJZlBsaXd3QnhnZlU/view?usp=sharing

Hi Kenny,

Firtly a HUGE thank you for resolving my hum issue.

Secondly: ignore moronic comments about your command of grammar.

Yo gave a succinct and precise solution to a tricky problem - huge appreciation.

('Scuse the grammar)

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

From my text above: I recently bought a used Epiphone Chet Atkins CE and as the original poster stated, there is an annoying hum. The hum would go away when you touched the jack plate. I knew this had to be a grounding problem so I went searching for a remedy. This is how I fixed mine and now it is quite as a mouse. I drilled a small hole (1/16 or an inch) in the metal 9v battery holder near the edge and ran a small wire through it and looped the wire back around and twisted it to itself then soldered this so the wire would remain in contact with the metal battery holder. Solder will not stick to the metal battery holder, not even using flux. I don't know what type metal the holder is, but this is the reason I drilled the hole and just looped the wire around and twisted it to itself. I then soldered the other end of the wire to the negative wire (black) on the square pin block that the piezo plugs into. Just to be clear I am talking about soldering it to the black wire that comes out of pin block and goes to the preamp board, not the black shielded wire that comes from the piezo. This completely removed all hum from the guitar. I hope this helps someone.  

LINK TO THE PIC has been updated:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-cYxYdF23EJZlBsaXd3QnhnZlU/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-xjpX0sVRzpnJGt__3HiTVg

Kenny

Edited by KennyC

On 4/24/2019 at 4:16 AM, Pardone said:

Hi Kenny,

Firtly a HUGE thank you for resolving my hum issue.

Secondly: ignore moronic comments about your command of grammar.

Yo gave a succinct and precise solution to a tricky problem - huge appreciation.

('Scuse the grammar)

Pardone, 

Sorry for such a late response (almost 3 years) but I am glad that the above fixed your hum issue.  It makes all the difference in the world to be able to play the guitar without the hum.  So you are very welcome. 

Kenny

• 3 weeks later...

I deleted my first post from the top of this thread.  I kept getting request for the google drive photo because the link had changed.  This site does not allow editing of an old post, so I just deleted that post and people can use the one above that has the current link which is: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-cYxYdF23EJZlBsaXd3QnhnZlU/view?resourcekey=0-xjpX0sVRzpnJGt__3HiTVg