Gibson Brands Forums

What's your home recording setup?

thouston

Cool looking set-up and room Charles, I got a great deal on a Quicksilver G4 in 2004 through a web based used Mac place, forget the name of the site but it sure feels great when you find a good deal on cool gear.

Sure does! I usually can upgrade and repair these myself as long as the parts are available. But at some point I had to make the jump from Power PC to an Intel processor, since many companies stop supporting older versions of their software. Definitely makes the DAW apps run more efficiently. [thumbup]

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure does! I usually can upgrade and repair these myself as long as the parts are available. But at some point I had to make the jump from Power PC to an Intel processor, since many companies stop supporting older versions of their software. Definitely makes the DAW apps run more efficiently. [thumbup]

I'm in the same boat with you man, there is room to up-grade my current Mac Pro's hardware (and the G4's I own) but it makes better since to just get it re-done all the way or a new CPU (tower) altogether. I need to bring my OS to Snow Leopard at least to be up with what the web has going on, I'm to poor right now so I'll make dew with the highest form of Tiger.

Tascam 2488 24 trk neo,,Tascam CD-RW900SL Cd burner,,Tascam 424MK2 for analog stuff,,Digitech RP 10 effects processor,and a few "other" things.

Tascam makes great stuff man, I've got an old 788 machine that is so out-dated but it makes great sounding recording's! It needs to be fixed as I messed up the hard-drive buy not turning it off the right way, it is a picky box but still it would be very worth it to have it fixed as for a portable device it's real nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now I know I am old!!

What ever happened to plugging everything in to a mixing board, turn on the reel to reel, play, stop, your done. life was so much easier in the old days.

B)

Now I know I am old!!

What ever happened to plugging everything in to a mixing board, turn on the reel to reel, play, stop, your done. life was so much easier in the old days.

B)

I remember the old reel day's but I don' miss them. I used to curse out loud when treading the real's. LOLZ! I still got a 4-track cassette machine too.

Now I know I am old!!

You can still use computer DAW's like reel to reel. You just need to set it up with 4,8 or 16 tracks (whatever you want/need) and record them one at a time if you record alone. If you want to record a whole band at the same time the majority of DAW's will allow that as long as you have a soundcard with enough inputs (4,8,16 etc)and a mixer with the right number of outputs. The computer way allows you to do so much more than tape machines used to, but you don't have to use the extras.

Tape was good in its day, but my first 2 track cost me £200.00 ($300.00) in 1971 and my first four track Portastudio in the early 80's cost me £500.00 ($750.00). At todays prices that would be around £2500.00 for the 4 track. I can get a top of the range PC with software plus an interface, mixer and mics for that sort of money now. And I never did find a way of writing a letter, doing my accounts or surfing the web on my old reel to reel [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well my latest setup is just a Gateway laptop computer with Audacity installed for editing and converting songs that I create on my iPhone 4 using mainly the full version of Amplitube. I use an iRig device to get the sound into the iPhone however I can and do use the built-in mic on the iPhone and and I am surprised how well it comes out. Here's a recording I did the other day:

I used the iPhone mic to record my singing and acoustic guitar accompaniment in the voice memo app, then I imported that "file" into one of the tracks in Amplitube. Then one track layered on top of another, etc. Electric guitar is an ES-339 and bass guitar is an Ibanez SR400. Amplitube has digital effects available but I used them sparingly.

I think it would be easier on an iPad or with a Macbook.

I use macbook pro for recorder(garage band) well...., then roland tri-capture. I then have amps spread around for different applications, sounds, other people ect. I run a carvin powered mixer for playback into 8 speakers, two peavey, two crate,

a gorilla 12 cabinet, and an electrovoice 15 inch bass speaker, along with two up close smaller sharp speakers next to my head.

The bass head goes direct into tri-capture, and live with adjustable volumes for both feeds, and runs through a fender sub-woofer.

The microphones are electrovoice and are moved in front of whatever amp is being used(except the bass). Singing is done through the same type of arrangement only away from the amps. The korg does organ and piano, microphoned like the other guitars.

Right now I find it easier to run the plugs from the amps, and microphones so they hang from the ceiling in front of the tri-capture mini mixer and make changes manually with what ever cable I need for the tri-capture mini mixer to record the tracks. I can reach the ends reasonably well, and they are labled and colored to make identification fast(princeton from super reverb, peavey, organ from mic, ect.)

I've not burned a cd, as all my projects are in infancy. Any constructive suggestions? (This is recreational so large expenditures won't work for me)

Archived